Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It happened at the local Target parking lot just over a week ago, and it`s taken me this long to cool off enough to post about it. The picture doesn`t really show it very well, but someone tried to sign their name in my car door with a sharp instrument.

On three of the letters, they did a *great* job; they took it all the way to the bare metal.

The car is barely two months old.

So I guess I`m gonna wetsand it with 2k Unigrit, M105, 106ff, 85rd, p21s pcl, vintage.

Hopefully that will at least make it less noticeable. Eventually I`d like to have the whole door resprayed, but I can`t be without the car that long right now. Guess I should probably get an insurance report on it so it doesn`t "time out". I only have a 250 buck deductible on my comprehensive coverage, so a respray would be covered. Just hate to have it done on my brand new car.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to see that.. too many haters out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that is just terrible...I don`t know if I would be able to keep my cool. Sorry Supe
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    This kind of crap absolutely infuriates me. I don`t know exactly why, but the more you care about your vehicle, the more people are out to destroy it. It boggles the mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    YIKES, sorry to see that

I think I`d maybe try some touchup paint where it`s down to metal, even though my touchups always look crappy. Or I`d at least consider filling it in with clear; I tried that on some hopeless scratches on the M3 and it`s better than *not* doing it (which isn`t saying all that much).

Man I`d hate to think about getting the panel sprayed; I`d find somebody to do a spot repair so you`re opening a slightly smaller can of worms (worked out *great* on the MPV and the Jag- just about perfect, and that`s on silver). Just find a good painter to do it (easier said than done).

Post Thanks / Like
    ARGH. I`m really sorry to hear about this. I can totally relate, and it`s incredibly aggravating. Good luck with the repair.

I know it`s not the same, but have you considered one of the spot repair pros? One of my wife`s coworkers has an Infiniti M45...black, no less. He backed into a post in a parking garage and had similar damage. He had a mobile guy come out - $200 and two hours later and the repair was really impressive. I told my wife I had to see it with my own two eyes, and in bright sunlight I couldn`t tell where the work was done. Just a thought...
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Touch ups never work as out as well as I hope. I`m *much* more skilled now than when I did my first, but it`s tough. There`s a reason body shops don`t do them too often.

You may want to try a syringe. See if that works. You can also try the touch up kit, I forget what it`s called now. It`s about $40 and you supply the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    Touch ups never work as out as well as I hope. I`m *much* more skilled now than when I did my first, but it`s tough. There`s a reason body shops don`t do them too often...

My good painter does `em like magic...dunno how but *man* does he have the touch! Still, he`d spot that one in with an airbrush/small spraygun.

You may want to try a syringe. See if that works...

IME those apply too much paint too thick but hey, YMMV.

You can also try the touch up kit, I forget what it`s called now. It`s about $40 and you supply the paint.

Ah, you might mean the Langka system, which seems to be sold under a few names these days.

Much as I like the Lanka (for what it is), in this case, i.e., iven SuperBee364`s abilities, I think he`d be happier with wetsanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it really is amazing how the more you love your car, the more people are out to b***h it up for ya. Someone keyed the hood of my yellow bee, now the door of my new one. Makes me wonder why I even bother to try and keep it in good shape.

I`d love to try and do an actual touch-up job on it, but I`m pretty ham-fisted when it comes to such things. Picus has a fantastic thread on how to do it. The results he shows on that thread are amazing. You can`t even see the repair. If I could, I`d buy some touch up paint, then hire Picus to fly down here and do the repair. As Accumulator said, it`s just opening such a can of worms to have the whole door reshot.

Until I can get up the nerve to attempt a repair, I`m just gonna try and minimize it with a sanding job.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Supe, it`s senseless crap like that I`ll never understand. I can see `em stealing your wheels and tires but what do they gain by doing something stupid like that? One of those Touch-Up wizard guys might be able to match that up pretty well w/o having to do the whole door.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom
    ARGH. I`m really sorry to hear about this. I can totally relate, and it`s incredibly aggravating. Good luck with the repair.

I know it`s not the same, but have you considered one of the spot repair pros? One of my wife`s coworkers has an Infiniti M45...black, no less. He backed into a post in a parking garage and had similar damage. He had a mobile guy come out - $200 and two hours later and the repair was really impressive. I told my wife I had to see it with my own two eyes, and in bright sunlight I couldn`t tell where the work was done. Just a thought...

Yeah.. Picus, but he`s up in Kanuckistan.

I might see if I can find someone locally that does these jobs and has a portfolio of their results. I`d rather have to look at the damage than a poor repair job, ya know? It`s so hard to find people that do work that`s up to our Autopian standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    So I guess I`m gonna wetsand it with 2k Unigrit, M105, 106ff, 85rd, p21s pcl, vintage.

i feel for you. . .

do a good write up on the process you use, show after pictures and look forward to all the "great job" replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    That just sucks...People have no respect. Sorry to see that SB...
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet another example of the sad state of this country. Sorry to see that man. People who do that need to be beaten within an inch of their lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Ah, you might mean the Langka system, which seems to be sold under a few names these days.

Much as I like the Lanka (for what it is), in this case, i.e., iven SuperBee364`s abilities, I think he`d be happier with wetsanding.

Exactly. :wavey

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information