Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Went on vacation, came back to find out that the neighbors fixed their sprinklers and one of them hit my car for a whole week. I now have water spots and washed the car a few times the same day to try to remove as much as possible. What can I do to totally remove this without having to buff since I`m not a detailer. Is there any type of special soap I should use such as dish washing soap? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    try claying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay will induce fine scratches, so you`ll be removing one issue and adding another. Some might not mind the fine scratches that clay will introduce. I`m nuts, and do mind. I`m not a professional detailer, but I do it for the cars that I own, and invested the time and money to be able to be "nuts".

I say have it detailed.

It happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can mix up a bottle of water and vinegar (50/50) and spray down a section, let it dwell about a minute, wipe down, then rinse.

If all else fails, make your neighbor pay to have the spots removed. Maybe that way, in the future, they will make sure their sprinklers don`t hit your car.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got pretty severe water etching on my M635. I`m going to try the vinegar and some Zymol HD Cleanse tonight...

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a local Carquest store pick up a bottle of Duragloss Water Spot Remover.

Post Thanks / Like
    any particular type of vinegar? White distilled maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try using a QD or else clay it. Make sure to apply wax to protect the surface after you clay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the 50/50 vinegar, and it helped slightly. The Duragloss makes it very clear that if your paint is already etched and "in" the paint that it won`t help.

So...on to the Flex!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Euro
    I tried the 50/50 vinegar, and it helped slightly. The Duragloss makes it very clear that if your paint is already etched and "in" the paint that it won`t help.

So...on to the Flex!

If it`s etched into the paint it won`t help but are you sure that`s the case? Is it possible it`s on top the Duragloss?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677
    Clay will induce fine scratches....
    I have never had a fine clay cause scratches.

It can happen with some very soft finishes but it’s rare.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc
    I have never had a fine clay cause scratches.

It can happen with some very soft finishes but it’s rare.

PC.

Thats funny because even using plenty of lube, I have never `not` had clay introduce scratches.

All I`m saying is clay only if you plan on polishing. I clay usually once a year or if the car comes back from an extended stay at the dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    aren`t there different grades of "Clay", and some may absorb dirt better than others? Some clay is harder, and you can feel little pieces of debris that get stuck on it, which then will cause scratches if you continue using it without cleaning it off. I noticed a big difference with two different clay bars I have. One works great, always pulls out all the black fallout etc from the paint, doesn`t leave a scratch, and I usually just use water as a lubricant from the garden hose. The other clay bar was much more expensive, but works horribly. It feels like a rock, causes scratches, and doesn`t really pull out the black road grime, all while using lubricant (this clay bar sucks even worse without lube).

Both clay bars I use are from pinnacle, but one is older and softer material. The new one had a different name I can`t remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats funny because even using plenty of lube, I have never `not` had clay introduce scratches....
    Bummer, either you’re one of the “lucky†ones with seriously sensitive paint or you’re using a clay that’s too aggressive. What clays have you used?

...All I`m saying is clay only if you plan on polishing....
    That’s my point, for the vast majority of finishes there’s no reason at all for polishing after clay (assuming you use a mild clay). In general, using clay will prevent you from having to use excessively aggressive cleaning techniques.

But as always, it’s finish dependent and doing a test spot is always recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by gto78
    aren`t there different grades of "Clay", and some may absorb dirt better than others? ....
    Yes. Most OTC clays are mild. But there are aggressive clays out there.

Anyway, back to the original question, clay or vinegar will remove hard water deposits (clay by mechanically cutting, vinegar by chemically dissolving) but neither will remove etching, which can sometimes accompany the deposits.

It’s critical to remove the deposits ASAP. If it’s too late and there’s etching it will need polishing.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anymore suggestions on the main topic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information