Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there guys. So I just finished giving my 03` Subaru a all around detail. And let me tell you, it was a BIT<H! I was using some POS random orbital buffer I bought at PepBoys a couple years ago. And it took me FOREVER! But after 10+ hours of work the paint looks A LOT better than what it did before. Here is a pic of the rear quarter panel.

And thats what I did with products bought from Pepboys! I can just imagine what my results can be when I use quality products.

All I can say is that I have the itch. I love taking a car that needs major love. Giving it some. And seeing the paint shine like never before. I say, "Why pay someone to have all the fun?"

I have recently picked up a Porter Cable 7424. And I am going to practice on some old body panels before I attempt the G35. But I need to purchase products. And I have been on this site for a while, and I`m still amazed by the numbers of different products people use. So I need some help. What process would you use on this car if it was you detailing it? Listing your steps would be very helpful.

So here is my new project car. A 2005 Infinity G35.

Oh, and I`ve already taken care of the dent. (heat gun, socket extention, and ice) Worked like a charm.

Hope this isnt too much. I feel like I should just start buying random products and try them for myself. But a nudge in the right direction would help a ton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow what happened to the G35?

Post Thanks / Like
    An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure - stop washing that car with brillo pads!

I didn`t have a need to `practice` with the PC, it`s DA nature makes it practically fool proof.

There are way too many good products to name just one...I`ve yet to get past my Optimum purchases and just can`t see buying others when I`ve got jugs of something in my hand - I can spend the money on other stuff (when my wife isn`t doin it for me).

So anyway, I`ll let others recommend their favorite polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal1
    Wow what happened to the G35?

My father happened to it. Absolutely no respect for the car. Hits a pole getting into a parking spot "oh well..."

He spilled blue ink on the seat. I go to him and say, "hey you have ink on your seat." and he says, "yea I know" then I said, "well, do you want me to fix it for you?" and his reply, "um i guess if you want."

its amazing how he can buy a 40,000 car and not give a sh!t what it looks like.

Him and I are cut from two different trees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else? I see the potential in this car, but I need to be able to bring it out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iDetail
    Hey there guys. So I just finished giving my 03` Subaru a all around detail. And let me tell you, it was a BIT<H! I was using some POS random orbital buffer I bought at PepBoys a couple years ago. And it took me FOREVER! But after 10+ hours of work the paint looks A LOT better than what it did before. Here is a pic of the rear quarter panel.

All I can say is that I have the itch. I love taking a car that needs major love. Giving it some. And seeing the paint shine like never before. I say, "Why pay someone to have all the fun?"

I have recently picked up a Porter Cable 7424. And I am going to practice on some old body panels before I attempt the G35. But I need to purchase products. And I have been on this site for a while, and I`m still amazed by the numbers of different products people use. So I need some help. What process would you use on this car if it was you detailing it? Listing your steps would be very helpful.

So here is my new project car. A 2005 Infinity G35.

Hope this isnt too much. I feel like I should just start buying random products and try them for myself. But a nudge in the right direction would help a ton.

I`ve only done one Infinity. It was an 06 G35. I looooved working on that car. The clear was a *bit* on the soft side, but not bad. It was very correctible.

I`d suggest starting with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on a Purple Foamed Wool (PFW). If that doesn`t cut it (and there`s a good chance it won`t judging by those pictures), then move up to a real compound. Meguairs new M95 is super easy to use, will leave you a fantastic finish, and has all the correction power you could want. Again I`d recommend using it with a PFW.

Then use 3M Ultrafina on either an Edge 2000 White Finishing Wool pad, or an equivalent finishing polish pad.

If you want to go for an even finer finish, follow that up with Menzerna PO85RD on a jeweling pad, like a black or red LC foam, or (white or red) Edge wave foam.

So total process would look something like:

Wash

Clay

IPA wipedown

SIP on PFW (or M95 on PFW if the SIP doesn`t cut it)

UF on WFW

PO85RD on jeweling pad

IPA wipedown

LSP of your choice.

That car is gonna look great when you`re done...BTW, great job on that first car.... wow!

Edit: Suggestions for LSP... Going back and looking at those pictures, I really doubt you`re going to be able to achieve 100% correction; that paint is *hammered*. Since you`ll probably end up with some scratches/defects remaining, you`re gonna want to hide them. You might consider using a good hiding/filling glaze. P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser is a really good one. Fellow Autopian Picus suggested this one to me. I`ve been using it lately with great results. Anyway, follow up the glaze with a good carnauba based LSP. The glaze/carnauba combo is generally pretty hard to beat when it comes to concealing defects. Sealants generally tend to amplify any defects in paint. Let`s see some pics when you`re done!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    I`ve only done one Infinity. It was an 06 G35. I looooved working on that car. The clear was a *bit* on the soft side, but not bad. It was very correctible.

I`d suggest starting with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on a Purple Foamed Wool (PFW). If that doesn`t cut it (and there`s a good chance it won`t judging by those pictures), then move up to a real compound. Meguairs new M95 is super easy to use, will leave you a fantastic finish, and has all the correction power you could want. Again I`d recommend using it with a PFW.

Then use 3M Ultrafina on either an Edge 2000 White Finishing Wool pad, or an equivalent finishing polish pad.

If you want to go for an even finer finish, follow that up with Menzerna PO85RD on a jeweling pad, like a black or red LC foam, or (white or red) Edge wave foam.

So total process would look something like:

Wash

Clay

IPA wipedown

SIP on PFW (or M95 on PFW if the SIP doesn`t cut it)

UF on WFW

PO85RD on jeweling pad

IPA wipedown

LSP of your choice.

That car is gonna look great when you`re done...BTW, great job on that first car.... wow!

Edit: Suggestions for LSP... Going back and looking at those pictures, I really doubt you`re going to be able to achieve 100% correction; that paint is *hammered*. Since you`ll probably end up with some scratches/defects remaining, you`re gonna want to hide them. You might consider using a good hiding/filling glaze. P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser is a really good one. Fellow Autopian Picus suggested this one to me. I`ve been using it lately with great results. Anyway, follow up the glaze with a good carnauba based LSP. The glaze/carnauba combo is generally pretty hard to beat when it comes to concealing defects. Sealants generally tend to amplify any defects in paint. Let`s see some pics when you`re done!

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks so much for the write up. I appreciate it so much. I will definitely follow those recommendations and throw up tons of pics when I`m done with a write up. I really want to start on this car. It needs a lot of work, but it will give me some awesome before and after pics.

Stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing to add to Supe`s advice. Great stuff. However, your comments make me worry that you`re setting yourself up for disappointment. To me, when it comes to detailing, there is nothing more disappointing than spending time on a car for an owner that won`t even appreciate it. Family, friends...whomever...you`re gonna` see that car three months from now and it`ll look just like your "before" shots.

The first "hard" detail I did was on my mother-in-law`s Mitsubishi Montero. Paint in horrible condition. What wasn`t scratched was etched with bird poop and hard water. Interior just as bad. I put nearly 15 hours into that thing, and I was really proud of my efforts. Two months later - it looked like crap again, and she was okay with it.

So, if this is a learning opportunity for you, I applaud the effort. Otherwise, maybe wait until your Dad is ready to sell the car before expending the energy.
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom
    Nothing to add to Supe`s advice. Great stuff. However, your comments make me worry that you`re setting yourself up for disappointment. To me, when it comes to detailing, there is nothing more disappointing than spending time on a car for an owner that won`t even appreciate it. Family, friends...whomever...you`re gonna` see that car three months from now and it`ll look just like your "before" shots.

The first "hard" detail I did was on my mother-in-law`s Mitsubishi Montero. Paint in horrible condition. What wasn`t scratched was etched with bird poop and hard water. Interior just as bad. I put nearly 15 hours into that thing, and I was really proud of my efforts. Two months later - it looked like crap again, and she was okay with it.

So, if this is a learning opportunity for you, I applaud the effort. Otherwise, maybe wait until your Dad is ready to sell the car before expending the energy.

Trust me. I get what your saying. My parents are THE WORST when it comes to cars. I mean, you can see what Im talking about with the pictures. They run into stuff left and right simply because they don`t care. I dont get it.

But this is simply a learning opportunity, and I enjoy cleaning cars. I enjoy seeing what they look like before I start on them, and then being able to stand back afterwards and bask in its short lived beauty.

Speaking of watching a car go to sh!t after two months after spending countless hours on it. Is there a product that acts as a protector? Is that what a carnauba wax does? And if it is, does that go on very last?

There are so many steps in detailing i feel like I`m sinking whenever I read some of these threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iDetail
    Trust me. I get what your saying. My parents are THE WORST when it comes to cars. I mean, you can see what Im talking about with the pictures. They run into stuff left and right simply because they don`t care. I dont get it.

But this is simply a learning opportunity, and I enjoy cleaning cars. I enjoy seeing what they look like before I start on them, and then being able to stand back afterwards and bask in its short lived beauty.

Speaking of watching a car go to sh!t after two months after spending countless hours on it. Is there a product that acts as a protector? Is that what a carnauba wax does? And if it is, does that go on very last?

There are so many steps in detailing i feel like I`m sinking whenever I read some of these threads.

Unfortunately, sealants/waxes can only provide protection against basic envirnonmental hazards. Washed-based damage (which is what the vast majority of swirls and scratches is caused by) cannot be prevented by a sealant/wax. Only a very careful wash routine is gonna keep you from having swirled up paint. Check out Accumulator`s mar-free wash thread in the hall of fame... I`m too lazy to find a link to it right now... brain dead from too much studying... anyway, it`s *really* worth the time to read and then implement.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Unfortunately, sealants/waxes can only provide protection against basic envirnonmental hazards. Washed-based damage (which is what the vast majority of swirls and scratches is caused by) cannot be prevented by a sealant/wax. Only a very careful wash routine is gonna keep you from having swirled up paint. Check out Accumulator`s mar-free wash thread in the hall of fame... I`m too lazy to find a link to it right now... brain dead from too much studying... anyway, it`s *really* worth the time to read and then implement.

I will definitely check out that thread. I might be able to convince them not to take the car to the local Cheveron to get dirt water sprayed all over it, I swear the car comes out looking worse than it did going in.

Post Thanks / Like
    someone really neglected that G

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t bother practicing on junk panels with a PC.. you`d have to be an idiot to mess something up. I understand your fear as I experienced it a couple years back, but by now I can tell you, you`d have to TRY to do serious damage. As long as you aren`t doing multiple passes with M105 on a 4" yellow pad putting half your bodyweight on the PC and staying in one spot.. you`ll be ok.

Thread Information