Post Thanks / Like
    Leather Cracking ~sigh~

So, our 02 Sienna XLE Limited`s leather is cracking [well only on the drivers seat].

How do we correct it? Its hard to notice the cracks unless you observe but we want it to stop and recondition these seats!

We`ll probably think of a replacement vehicle since of some problems like clunking and gas conserns...

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Cracked leather isn`t really something you can fix, but here is some great reading for proper care and maintenance of new leather.

DetailingWiki.com - Basic Automotive Leather Care

Post Thanks / Like
    Well can we at least make the cracking slower?

the cracks are most noticable where the leather folds in a way [Its how the leather was intended to be factory]

I`ll try to take a picture for me to support my statement above.

BTW, the leather cracking on the drivers seat is probably from using it alot as this was a used vehicle when we bought it.

We condition the leather every now and then

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to address the problem of cracking otherwise it will simply get worse. You cannot deal with cracking by cleaning and `conditioning` in fact this could actually make it worse. This is the time to have a bit of restoration work done. Lightly recolouring and refinishing will help the leather to continue its life.

Cracking leather finish is usually casued by a build up of dirt together with abrassion from constant use. Leather finishes should be protected and the use of `conditioning` products can often lead to a build up of residues on the surface which only attract more dirt.

Address the problem now before it becomes a major job.

Hope this helps

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Judy at least in part. Conditioning now will probably not slow down the cracking process. If it is merely cracks without losing any color, a rejuvenator such as Leatherique or Leather Master`s Leather Vitale or Color Plus Soffener could help. I wouldn`t call a Leather Tech yet, if it`s mild cracking but the color is not gone. But if the color is starting to go and/or any peeling, then a good Leather Tech is in order. Fibrenew is usually a good bet in Canada. (that`s not our affiliation, but their work is on par with ours)

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    P.S. Judy, I`m trying to be friendly these days, really!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Judy makes good points. If you are planning to get rid of it soon, then a good cleaning may be enough for now. Sometimes just cleaning the dirt out of the cracks can prolong the life of the leather before it needs refinishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow everyone elses advice. Leatherique makes some amazing product. I thought I`d touch on this since no one else mentioned it. I`m shooting in the dark here but is the cracking on both sides or just the side facing the exterior? If that`s the case, which it normally is, than you need to start changing how you exit the vehicle. A lot of people slide their butt off of the seat instead of picking it up to get out which causes a LOT of damage to leather seats. Just another thing to consider ...

Post Thanks / Like
    You don`t need Leatherique for a good cleaning. Use a 3M delicate duty scuff pad to help get into the cracks and clean out the dirt and grime.

Thread Information