Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got 2 coats of NXT on my Nissan Murano Platinum metallic paint. I was thinking of adding a coat of Mothers Canauba in hopes that it will help the paint pop.

Anyone think this would work?

Recommendations on what i could do?

thanks
    93 Z28, red, 6spd

2011 Nissan Juke SL AWD, gun metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Megs UQD.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 93zder
    I`ve got 2 coats of NXT on my Nissan Murano Platinum metallic paint. I was thinking of adding a coat of Mothers Canauba in hopes that it will help the paint pop.

Anyone think this would work?

Recommendations on what i could do?

thanks

I don`t think you`ll see a noticeable difference using Mother`s pure carnuba,if you want your metallic paint to pop,try Duragloss #105 ,in my experience it`s one of the best sealants for metallic paint

Some top #105 with carnuba for extra shine/depth but that would be a personal preference.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always found that the original NXT muted flake. Funny but I found that ColorX didn`t. I`d suggest stripping it and trying Mothers FX, Duragloss or Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about the NXT 2.1 (2nd generation)? Is it better for metallic paint? Or even better at all than the original stuff?

I also have some E1 Nano spray wax i will try this weekend.
    93 Z28, red, 6spd

Post Thanks / Like
    IME adding a wax to an existing LSP isn`t likely to *add* to metallic pop, but is rather more likely to further *mute* it. The fewer things between the paint and your eye the better the pop is likely to be IMO.

FWIW, the best LSP I`ve ever used for this is UPP. I`d expect a "light sealant" (as opposed to, say, a "heavy wax") to be best for this.

But I`ve found that (same old story), most of the pop comes from the prep. Micromarring that`s fine enough to be basically invisible will still refract the light just enough to make metallic paint look less-than-wonderful. When I`m certain I have a metallic paint marring-free (and that can mean a *LONG TIME* spent inspecting under numerous lighting conditions), I give it some final burnishing with a finishing pad/polish combo, and *that* is what makes the metallic really pop IME.

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense to me. I have clayed the entire vehicle and cleaned/prepped with Mothers step one pre-wax cleaner, which i think helped. But i know there is some room for improvement there as i dont have a rotary although i do have some PB 2.5 i would like to use on it.
    93 Z28, red, 6spd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    I always found that the original NXT muted flake. Funny but I found that ColorX didn`t. I`d suggest stripping it and trying Mothers FX, Duragloss or Zaino.

I used Mothers FX and Mothers Top Coat on a dark blue metallic paint recently. I liked the end result. The flake popping really adds character to the appearance.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense to me. ..But i know there is some room for improvement ...

See if you can find some really unforgiving lighting so you can give the car a merciless inspection. A big challenge with metallics is simply seeing what`s really going on with the clear.

That SSR2.5 oughta help a lot, and I wouldn`t be surprised if a final polishing with something milder gave you better pop too. As soon as my silver cars look (basically/realistically) perfect, I know they`re about 80% of the way to where I want them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could someone recommend a good rotary for SR`s and polishing? And where can i get one for a good price?

Right now i only have a cordless (battery powered) 4" polisher. I`m happy wiht it for waxing as it reduces the strain vs. hand waxing. It`s not cutting it when it comes to my PB SSR2.5 though.

thanks
    93 Z28, red, 6spd

Post Thanks / Like
    For OTC waxes, TWPUG liquid I thought always did a really nice job making my silver metallic paint pop. As did Gold Class. I just stopped using them because of durability and I wanted more of a wet look rather than flake pop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could someone recommend a good rotary for SR`s and polishing? And where can i get one for a good price?

Right now i only have a cordless (battery powered) 4" polisher. ..

I`d get some kind of random orbital/dual-action polisher first and *then* consider a rotary. You`ll need the former if (more like *when*) the rotary leaves you with holograms anyhow.

PC/UDM/Flex/Cyclo...no idea how to get the best price though :nixweiss

Thread Information