Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for some advice. I do mostly used car recon work.. This week has been a busy week: Two black quad cab Rams and a black `98 BMW 528i that had been through 10 years of gas station car washes. Not fun

I`ve always used 3M extra cut (06061) on vehicles like this because it cuts hard, and usually takes ~2 passes at the most. But, it is not the easiest product to work with and it dusts more than anything else out there.

My process for the BMW was:

3M 06061 extra cut/green LC pad ~1500 RPMs (rotary)

Menzerna IP/3M grey polishing pad ~1500 RPM

106ff/3M ultrafina blue pad 1400RPM

Blackfire Wet Diamond x2

The results were excellent. I achieved about ~90% correction, a few RIDS remained but I only spot wetsanded and was instructed to be cautious. I spent a lot of time on it though, it took a full 1 1/2 days to complete.. And compounding took as long as anything. I am looking for recommendations on a cutting compound to replace the 3M without losing any cut. I`d really like something with a little more work time and definitely less clean-up. I have some Optimum HC, but honestly it`s never really worked for me. Tried tons of different pad combos and I`ve just never been satisfied with the cut. Anyone have any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Body Magic by Auto Magic with a synthetic wool pad or for really bad scratches I use a full on wool pad, hardly any dust and little hair from the wool pad, but the paint just comes out amazing. Also I only have to cut the car once, maybe two times in some spots, then wax.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s 105. It works in like 1/5 of the time of 3M, cuts comprably, finishes far better. It`s a miracle product.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbraswell
    I`m looking for some advice. I do mostly used car recon work.. This week has been a busy week: Two black quad cab Rams and a black `98 BMW 528i that had been through 10 years of gas station car washes. Not fun

I`ve always used 3M extra cut (06061) on vehicles like this because it cuts hard, and usually takes ~2 passes at the most. But, it is not the easiest product to work with and it dusts more than anything else out there.

My process for the BMW was:

3M 06061 extra cut/green LC pad ~1500 RPMs (rotary)

Menzerna IP/3M grey polishing pad ~1500 RPM

106ff/3M ultrafina blue pad 1400RPM

Blackfire Wet Diamond x2

The results were excellent. I achieved about ~90% correction, a few RIDS remained but I only spot wetsanded and was instructed to be cautious. I spent a lot of time on it though, it took a full 1 1/2 days to complete.. And compounding took as long as anything. I am looking for recommendations on a cutting compound to replace the 3M without losing any cut. I`d really like something with a little more work time and definitely less clean-up. I have some Optimum HC, but honestly it`s never really worked for me. Tried tons of different pad combos and I`ve just never been satisfied with the cut. Anyone have any advice?

Glad to see I`m not the only one that can`t get OHC to work.

I still haven`t used M105, but it sure seems to be the hot thing as far as heavy cut compounds right now. I`ve been using Menz Power Gloss or HTEC for my heavy hitters, and have been very happy with them MPG does dust alot, though.

There`s quite a few threads about the new M105. Lot`s of information, which is good, because the learning curve on it seems to be kinda high.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll 2nd that vote for M105, works very quickly and leaves a spectacular finish for being a heavy cut compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Glad to see I`m not the only one that can`t get OHC to work.

I still haven`t used M105, but it sure seems to be the hot thing as far as heavy cut compounds right now. I`ve been using Menz Power Gloss or HTEC for my heavy hitters, and have been very happy with them MPG does dust alot, though.

There`s quite a few threads about the new M105. Lot`s of information, which is good, because the learning curve on it seems to be kinda high.

I wish I could get the OHC to work, its very easy to work with and you can work with it forever.. Just doesn`t have any bite for me.

I`ll look into the M105, thanks for the suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like
    105 for sure...works wonders by pc or rotary...

HTEC cuts less but leaves a brighter finish

PG cuts more than HTEC, but less that 105, but dusts like crazy

those are my personal experiences...

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try adding a bit of OHC to the 3m to reduce dusting. I think 3m is about to introduce a new compound similar to 105-you might want to hold off till it`s available. 105 seems to be great but some have had issues with it gumming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax has mentioned using a 70/30 M105/OC mixture with a longer work in time. I have actually mixed a bottle myself (75/25) but haven`t actually tried it out yet.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda surprised nobody except dynamic (oh SuperBee...) suggested also switching to a wool pad for the compounding.

FWIW, I found HT EC a *lot* milder than the 3M Extra Cut I have, but my 3M is the older PI-III stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Kinda surprised nobody except dynamic (oh SuperBee...) suggested also switching to a wool pad for the compounding.

FWIW, I found HT EC a *lot* milder than the 3M Extra Cut I have, but my 3M is the older PI-III stuff.

Yeah that`s the 6060.. That stuff is even worse. The 61 doesn`t contain abrasives. If I were to mix some OHC to get a little more time out of it what ratio should I go with? 75/25?

I`ve never really messed with wool pads extensively. I`ve used it to do spot-correction, but thats all

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Hehe, I guess I overlooked what the OP had mentioned. Wool is definitely better and safer for correction.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    HTEC is milder than TOL claims.

Post Thanks / Like
    HTEC should do the job quickly and easily, I`m not familiar with meguiars 105, have never used their machine polishes but it seems that 105 has some grunt to it
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have much experience with the Clearkote Compound Moose? I did a search on it a while back, and didn`t come up with a lot of information. I have a bottle in my garage that someone gave me to try, and haven`t messed with it. I was thinking of playing around, and mixing a little of it with M105.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information