Post Thanks / Like
    Love bug season is upon us who live in my area along the Gulf coast. I have some concerns about protecting my grill from the ravages of the little satanic things. My defense has been to apply quite a few squirts of AW to the grill first thing then move on to doing the rest of the car, letting it dwell during this time. I then remove the excess last thing using the leaf blower and cleaning any splatter from the front end.

But was wondering if any one else has a different/better way of protecting their plastic honey comb grills?
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    You are pretty much screwed. Only thing I can think of would be to get a different style grill. It amazes me car designers seem to have no clue that eventually, someone will want to clean those grills.

I hate those grills with a passion. GM seems to love them on their new cars and trucks, so now I hate GM too, same with Lincoln and their new grills. Whoever designed those grills should have to clean them for everyone who has one.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed! ^ Thank you for that. Elbow Grease is definitely a must for those.
    ~Tyler C.

T.C. Detailing L.L.C

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a bottle/glass cleaner and car wash. The kind that is a wand with radiating bristles. I think mine was once used to clean out the baby bottles. I also have a smaller one with nicer bristles for small honeycombs that I think was once part of a gun cleaning kit. I think that Ultima TTG would protect the plastic the best. It should help with the future cleaning better than a dressing would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut it out and get a bolt in billet grille or something... much easier to clean. I just cut out the stock grille (even though it was rectangular) when I got my grille shell painted to match and just left it... much easier to clean it now .

Post Thanks / Like
    The one on the MPV is a real PIA...cleaning it at every wash is bad enough, but treating it is a time consuming chore

I use a whittled piece of wood that I wrap a MF around- I do two passes at each wash, which cleans each of the holes` four surfaces pretty well.

When treating, I do each side of each opening with the same method using AIO and then I layer on the KSG using swabs (buff it off with the wood/MF). Yeah, it takes a long, long time to do each of the many openings but six layers of KSG lasts quite a while.

I do basically the same thing on the grills of the other vehicles, though the A8`s grill isn`t Klasse-friendly the way most of `em are. Cleaning the grill slots inside the Audi rings isn`t exactly my favorite part of the wash

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Actually I have no *major* probs cleaning my grill - I just spray/presoak w/ the Gilmour hose end that I use w/ car wash concentrate, spray again w/ CWC then use a flat spray at full pressure using the fire mans hose nozzle. My method w/ AW is decent but I`ll stop short of waxing/sealing each individual square (good idea Accumulator- just not for me :chuckle: )

Even if I replaced the grill on my S197 Mustang GT it would be w/ one from a 6 cyl. which would give me more even honey comb real estate to deal with :hmph:
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Thread Information