Post Thanks / Like
    I have a problem, and I need some help to solve!!!!

I have a very red and 06 VW MkV GTI (see below) and tax season has come to a close which means that the time for my annual fully detail has come which includes removing some minor swirl. I have Meguiars M80 and attempted to work in a small area but it doesn’t appear to do anything other than waste time. If anyone has experience polishing German VW Tornado Red how hard is the paint because I am begging to think that it is like iron.

For example I work a small area (see the area highlighted in yellow) for about 4-5 min using moderate pressure after which I remove the product from the finish and I might as well be shouting into the wind!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Life is a PITCH, and if I have to go please let it be in the company of 22 fast women. :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2008 CW R32. I *just* began my first detail on it today. Sun went away way too quick so I was only able to finish the test section on my hood.

First I tried a White LC Pad + Optimum Compound w/ the PC on 5.5. It removed minor, minor marring but didn`t touch it the way I wanted. So I stepped up to an Orange LC Pad + Optimum Compound. By that time the sun completley went away so I finished breaking down. Wiped it, removed the tape and went inside.

Couple hours later I was able to check my work and, WOW! You could see where the swirls were heading on the other half of the hood and where they just "stopped" on the polished half. I could see some very minor marring but I think when I hit up with the Optimum Polish and White pad those will be gone. If not, then 1 more pass with the compound will all that`s needed.

I highly recommend the Orange Pad + Optimum Compound combination on VW paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a new Toureg and can say the paint is extremely hard.

What machine are you using?? PC might cut it if the swirls are very very light, but you`ll need to get aggresive with it with a PC, otherwise you`ll need a rotary to do heavy correction on a VW.

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    On my `01 GTI, I had to use PC speed 6 with 4" LC orange pads and SIP to make a noticeable dent (a couple of passes with moderate pressure going 1 - 2" per second). VW paint is known to be very tough like Audi. I`m going to re-do my entire work from last year with a rotary to try and finish down sharper.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with my 02 jetta. I spent days with megs 83 and 80 and didnt get much results. I used the 83 with and LC orange which was the most aggressive approach I had and nothing. I even went as far as 3-4 passes with still no results. I may give it one more shot working smaller areas and being more aggressive with the PC. If that doesnt work Ive herd alot about Menzerna products which are designed for german paint. They cost like $50 a bottle but I herd you get outstanding results.

Post Thanks / Like
    "designed for german paint" just use some cheaper Poorboys or I really like Danase Swirl Abolishers and a rotary. Comes out looking like crap? No problem, a white pad and some FPII on a PC @ speed 6 will fix that.

My old way would be 4" yellow or orange pads and 83 or Swirl Abolosher II/III. This was slow and boring. Finish out with white pad & FPII.

Thread Information