Thread: Acid Rain

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone had any experiences with acid rain?

On another forum I occasionally visit, a guy said he had spotting on his roof and hood. He called his insurance company, who sent him to a body shop. The body shop confirmed that it was acid rain. The insurance company approved a $900 repaint of the hood and roof.

I thought a repaint was an extreme, overly aggressive way of dealing with his problem. Isn`t it at least possible that the spotting could be removed by a good detailer? Or is acid rain simply impossible to remove by polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on how bad the damage is. When I lived in Pittsburgh (known for high air acidity) my black Saab was badly damaged from Acid Rain, even though I detailed it every 3 months :nixweiss Guess what I was using back then wasn`t good enough (which I`ve replaced when I replaced the car).

Anyway, everywhere I took it, I got the same answer, it was beyond repair and would need repaint. The dealer actually offered to repaint the hood and roof at their expense. My experience with repaint has never been good, so I opted to live with it. Sadly though, a year later I was rear ended by a DUI in a Dodge Ram.

Take it to a couple of places and see some of the detailers on this forum whom live close to you and see what they all say. You can only polish so much before the clear coat is completely gone when removing acid damage.
    2007 Silver Mercedes-Benz ML350

2006 Ebony Jaguar X-Type Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    anybody know any good places to get your car detailed in the Virginia Beach, Va. area? got some minor acid rain damage. no time to do it myself.

Thread Information