Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and so far it is a great wealth of knowledge.

I just got a new car and am looking to keep it clean, and put some elbow grease into keeping it looking great. Not a pro, just a guy who wants his car to look good.

My car is a 2008 Acura TL in the polished metal metallic (darker grey metallic color) and I`ve read that Zaino does well with this type of color so I`ve decided to buy it and give it at try.

I purchased the ultimate kit which includes these polishes:

Z-2

Z-5

Z-6

Z-7 wash

I also got the fast cure additive.

So my question is, what is the best way to layer these colors up? I`ve read some like to use Z-5, and then Z-2 for a deeper look. I have also searched the forums up and down. Seems like everyone has their own style of layering but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the specific products I have, and maybe even the color.

Can someone recommend a good layering strategy for me? I was thinking:

Z-7 Wash

Clay

Z-5

Z-6

Z-2

Z-6

Z-2

I`ve also read that some recommend using Z-AIO as the very first coat so the rest have a better bond and stick better. I didn`t get the Z-AIO in my kit so I am hoping to do without. Anyone think I will do just fine without the Z-AIO?

I also plan to clay the car beforehand, and am still debating on the whole dawn wash thing.

Any tips appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new car as a TL is a wise choice. I would not start rubbing your new car with clay unless it needs it. Remember, anything you rub on this finish has the potential to cause marring or light scratching and that includes clay. Feel your paint lightly with your fingertips and see if it even needs clay. Do the baggie thing if you want. I would do a light polish to remove the current wax or sealant. Then do an alcohol wipe and see what the finish looks like in full sun or under halogens. If the finish looks really nice, then start your Zaino process. I would have preferred to see you use Z8 in between instead of Z6 but that`s ok. Both are excellent products. Start with a clean surface and you`ll be fine without AIO although it is an awesome product as well that smells just like bubble gum. In short, don`t waste your time performing steps that you don`t need to. Evaluate your finish and take only those steps necessary to make it sparkle. I am confident that someone who chose a TL and decided to protect it with Zaino has given this a lot of thought. You will love what Zaino is going to do for your new ride. Good choices. :2thumbs:

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    After 3 years. I still love my TL.

To make things simple...

Wash with Z-7

Clay

Polish if needed

Z-5 x 2 with ZFX

1 coat of Z-2 (non ZFX)

Z-8 the next day (on a clean surface. wipe with Z-6 prior to Z-8 if car is dusty)

For my Anthracite TL I do the following..

Clay

Polish

Z-AIO

1 x Z-5p w/ ZFX

1 x Z-CS

Z-8 next day.

I don`t layer because I think one coat looks as good as 10 coats. Plus it saves product and time.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to my post above...

If you do layer, you don`t have to use Z-6 in between layers. IMHO, I did not see any difference when you apply Z-6 after a coat of polish. It just adds more work, and uses more products. Just use Z-6 as a QD or a booster after a carwash.

You can get away with just Z-5 on your car and you will get long lasting protection. A lot of members and Zaino users like to layer to enhance the color of the looks.

Tips

Z-2 shows the clarity, and is very bright especially light colored cars.

Z-5 is has that deep rich look on darker colors like yours.

Everyone is different. You just have to play around with it.

To keep the car maintained and slick... wash with Z-7, dry car, and apply spritz of Z-6.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback !!!

Great tips on claying, and the zaino process.

About claying, I am going to go ahead and give the baggy test a try. The truth is the car is only a month old, but it has been rainy and there is still a ton of sand and grit on the road. My wheel wells look like crap so there is definitely spray all over. I was figuring that I would do the baggy test all over the car and if I found only the front needed it, maybe I would only do those panels? Guess the baggy trick will hold the answer.

About the Zaino, I already purchased the Ultimate kit since I wanted to give both their polish products a try, and also the leather treatments, tire gloss, and car wash a try. Figured this was a good way to get into the Zaino family to test multiple products, and also have some options (Z-2/Z-5).

When you both say polish if needed, what exactly would I polish it with? Would this be sort of in place of Zaino`s recommended Dawn wash? Any tips on the polish options will be helpful.

Thanks again for the awesome replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    since you are just a guy and not a pro i would start by washing the car with hot water and dawn per sal zaino`s instruction. . . then just use your palm if it is smooth skip the clay so the only issue would be the adhesive residue from the shipping paper. . . you should do the clay if necessary but gently with the soap & water if you wish

i find z-aio to be to abrasive for a new car so mix up 2oz of z5 with zfx and use it up until it is gone don`t evern count layers just chill and have fun

then mix up 2 oz of z2 with zfx and use until you are done the zfx allows layering and adds strength z6 between coats or if you get streaking because you would be learning the process you might then top with z8 and enjoy the results. . z8 is super slick after every wash . . good luck and good product choice new car should be protected from day one so correction shouldn`t be necessary
    it doesn`t matter if you win or lose it`s just how good you look!

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish is an abrasive chemical that removes defects on the surface of the paint such as scratches, blemishes, marring, oxidation, in order to give the paint surface a clean smooth finish, that`s ready to applied by a wax or sealent.

Zaino uses the term polish for their products, but from their brand.. the polishes are their sealants such as Z-2, and Z-5pro The only true polish they have is Z-PC used to remove swirls or clean the paint, and Z-AIO which is a cleaner, polisher, and sealent all in one step.

Polishing (using abrasive polish) is best done by machine. I`d invest on a PC or UDM, and if you search there`s a ton of topics about a DA polisher.

Honestly your new car doesn`t need a polish now. Just seal it up with the Zaino system, and be extra careful on your washing techniques, or you`ll be introducing marring on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also remember the Z-6 is concentrated to heck and back. You should use no more than an ounce of QD on your car per `layer`. Which is about 10 squirt pumps. Don`t go crazy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the OP doesn`t have Z8, from what he`s posted.

Sal says that whether you put on Z-2 or Z-5 first doesn`t matter at all for the final effect, but he does think that the two products together give a combination of brightness and depth that one alone doesn`t. He`s probably right, in that I`ve tried it both ways and can`t see a difference due to layering order--but most of us do Z-5 first and Z-2 second just because the instructions on the Zaino site say to!

Being real frugal with all the Z products is the way to go. Using more means it is tougher to remove and it is just a waste. I use 1/2- 3/4 of an oz. per layer for Z-2/5 on our Civics.

Congrats on the TL. Seems to be a great car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Zann

Being real frugal with all the Z products is the way to go. Using more means it is tougher to remove and it is just a waste. I use 1/2- 3/4 of an oz. per layer for Z-2/5 on our Civics.

Congrats on the TL. Seems to be a great car.

If you ever talk to Sal he`ll tell you 3/4 of an ounce could do your car two or more layer. I used to get two layers out of 1/2oz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WashCrazy

metallic (darker grey metallic color)

Z-2

Z-5

Z-6

Z-7 wash

I also got the fast cure additive.

I would do this...(I always use ZFX with Z2/Z5)

1) Prep your car in order to have a clean surface.

2) Mix ZFX with Z5P, then layer two coats in succession.

3) Mix ZFX with Z2P, then apply 1 coat right after you`re done with Z5P.

I think the purpose of using Z-6 between layers is to have a clean surface. Z-6 is concentrated, so when I`m working in a garage, I use diluted Z-6 (50:50 with distilled water) between layers which IMO is more than enough for maintaining a clean surface.

You use very little, 5ml of either Z2/Z5 will be enough for one coat for your TL.

Maintain weekly with Z-7 wash and Z-6, and your car will good for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys all rock! Great info so far!

So when applying Z2 or Z5, do you guys spritz the applicator with a little Z-6 to get it wet, put some Z2/Z5 on, and then spread it? I have always been a nuba wax guy and was younger so I would just wax like Mr. Miyagi, Wax On, Wax Off in circular motion. So with the Zaino I am going front to back on the top sides, and vertically on the sides?

Can anyone elaborate on about how much they put on the pad, if they put it in a certain shape (dime size, quarter size, in a line, etc), and then about how far that much could spread? Trying to get an idea of how it actually goes when applying.

I`ve also read that people say put it on so thin that you can almost not tell it is going on. How do you know when to reapply to the pad? Is it like way and you`ll see it starts streaking or just stops covering the surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WashCrazy
    I`ve also read that people say put it on so thin that you can almost not tell it is going on. How do you know when to reapply to the pad? Is it like way and you`ll see it starts streaking or just stops covering the surface?

Thin is your friend. Its tough to tell and explain how thin is thin but you`ll get used to it after a few times. I use mine in a straight line across the pad and maybe reapply that line two - three times per layer. How many ounces is that? Dont know but that works for me. Once the pad gets saturated you`ll start using less and less product.

here`s the steps for my WDP 2007 TL:

Z7

Z2x2

Z5x1

Z6

Z8

Good luck... the TL is a sweet ride and I think the best Honda has made to date.

Thread Information