Post Thanks / Like
    This is a detailing class that is located in Northern Jersey. It was one of the closest detailing classes to where I live (5 hours), which is the main reason why I choose it. However this reason changed once I arrived and found out how fantastic this training really is.

First off before I even start the review, those who have dealt with Kevin Farrell know that he is a no nonsense (down-to-earth) kind of guy. I could see that right off. He sells many quality products (and is a major developer of the Optimum polishing line of products). His experience in the industry can be seen with his choice of product offerings that he sells. What I like most about him though, is that he lets you sell yourself and does not jam anything down your throat. He uses common-sense reasoning for his techniques and processes, and respects your current level and helps you to improve. I quickly gained a great respect for both his knowledge and his contributions to the industry.

I looked into many different training programs and got very lucky in choosing Kevin’s. Kevin has a way of keeping the business side of detailing very-well aligned with the technical process, by doing a professional job as quickly as possible. You get a large amount of hands-on time, as well as theroy time. His program is very well organized and runs at a pace that anyone can comfortably learn. He keeps his classes small so that you are not overcrowded with others stepping on each others work. I was lucky enough to be with one other person, so we were able to soak up even more hands on time. My vehicle (the guinea pig), 1999 Dodge Durango was chosen as the workshop vehicle. This vehicle has all the aspect that detailers dislike. The exterior is black, the interior is tan and it is an SUV. The paint on this vehicle was in need of some work, which I just never got around to doing. I am glad that I did not get to work on it until the training. I liked how that worked out.

Kevin brought out one of the propane pressure steamer to start our wash process. He allowed us to us it as a pre-wash/rinse, but suggested that we could use the steamer in combination with ONR to save water when doing a full wash.

When we got to the interior we used the vapor chief and the vapor master. While using both machines you could just see the dirt “melt†away. No hard scrubbing was really needed. I own a Shark Pro steamer and I have gotten decent results with it, but nothing compared to these two machines. I decided to get a vapor chief, because I will us it for the exterior. Kevin is a pioneer in using steam for auto detailing and he sells some of the best machines on the market.

During the Compound/Polishing steps we used Optimum products with either a Makita or DeWalt Buffer. We used the pads that are on his website which are made to his specs by American Buffing Company. Nothing gimmeky about the pads, they were just flat foam pads that get the job done.

The rotary is a very important part of Kevin’s program when doing paint correction. He teaches you what and what not to do. You even pick up a couple of tips from Kevin on using the rotarty and "staying clean". In the end a rotary is a necessity, so get you have to get over the fear.

We also used the PC for the LSP (Poli-Seal) step. As a side note I brought my Flex in with me and he used it for a bit. The Flex got the “:up †(nice tool) from Kevin (I just wished that he had a Festool for us to try).

Kevin covers many other important subjects (including wet sanding), however to keep this review somewhat manageable, I am not including every step within the program. An outline of the content in the course can be seen here in the Kleen Car site. Aside for the experience that you get in working with Kevin, you also get his “Buffing with Confidence†video along with every article that Kevin has written (very informative). The hands-on experience coupled with Kevin’s knowledge makes this course a great compliment for anyone wishing to expand their detailing expertise.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin is top shelf and I only wish I lived closer to NJ so I could participate!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking to go to the same place in another month or so , nice to hear he holds a class worth going to. Thanks for the info.
    04 cobra mystichrome Sold new home in AZ.

Thread Information