Post Thanks / Like
    My cars, I am pretty much a newbie. I just got this 02 VW cabrio and it seems that the previous owner never detailed the car. They are swirls towel scratches all over the car. So I am experimenting what I need to use to get this baby in the best shape it has seen it is life.

I have a good amount of supplies pads LC orange/white MEg`s purple and a UDM machine. More stuff as well but as I work on the car and get input I will bring them up.

I started working on the rear trunk panel behind the convertible top.

I used LC orange pad on one half of the trunk and then MEg`s purple pad on pass two(same half- passenger side. I used my UDM in this fashion. I put 5-6 drops of 4star MCC 2200 material on the trunk then wipe it all over with the UDM off and the pad on (I make th pad a bit dump). Then I work it slowly at speed 3 for like 2-3 minutes. Then I stop put it to speed 5-6 and work on the polish for like 2-3 minutes. I see improvement but some stuff is still there. Thus my post with pics for advice/input.

Let me know what you think.

Pics:

Driver`s side(I have not worked on it yet):

Passenger side(the side I did the two passes):

Cheers

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to start at a higher speed. 3 is really low with the UDM. Start with atleast 4.5 and move up to 5.5 or 6. I think with working at 3 for so long you are missing out on the cut you could be getting. You are then going to have to finish it out, especially on a black car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get to higher speed sooner. After the polish is spread evenly move up to 5 or so. Slow passed 1"/sec 10-15lbs of pressure small areas 12-18" square, as the polish starts to clear let up the pressure some.

Don`t get discouraged, it may take 3 or more applications of polish to get there. You may need to follow up with a mild finishing polish and a polishing/finishing pad to get the clearest finish.

If you still don`t get anywhere, I have heard about using 4" pads to get more out of a DA. You would have to be more careful, though as you can burn paint then.
    :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    black VW paint is tough. we have an 03 black VW beetle convt and it takes tons of work to get the paint nice. you just have to find a happy place with it or get a rotary cause a small machine is going to take days

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman
    black VW paint is tough. we have an 03 black VW beetle convt and it takes tons of work to get the paint nice. you just have to find a happy place with it or get a rotary cause a small machine is going to take days

You sir are telling the truth. This thing is going to take time to be back to nice. Not perfect . I am hoping for 80-90%. Pics below.

I am already considering the rotary. My bro in law has a nice Makita that I used once in a while. I am bit intimidated by it as I can feel it wants to jump on my hands on the paint at about 900-1000 rpm. Also it leaves a haze which leads me to believe that I am not working it like it should be. So learning curve here.

Thanks for the advice/input.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    ok I went full force. LC yellow pad and start at 4.5 and then picked it up 5.5-6 (all the way for UDM). Trunk is getting better. I am realizing now that this is going to be a slow process. Car improves I learn we both happy.

I did a pass of LC white pad with Menzerna P85. Shine starting to come out.

Still if I start looking from extreme angles under the halogen light I can see some imperfections but it is getting to the "happy medium" Matt is mentioning.

Here are some pics after the Menzerna pass.

Did I mention dusting all over the car and the garage? I wet the pad but at the end dusting is quite heavy. I guess I have to wash the car before I got to final product Menzerna FMJ.

Here is the same left hand side. I did not go as many passes as the right side. I can tell that it needs a couple more passes. But the improvement is there.

Before

After

Again much appreciated all the input.

Cheers

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    so today I was experimenting with the "other" black car. 05 Honda Pilot. I also borrowed a Makita rotary. Different beast than the UDM. I liked the smoothness I did not like that sometimes the pad was trying to go its own way and it would hop a bit. Either way here is a couple pics:

door before:

Door after:

Fender is done door is not:

I used the 9227c Makita rotary.

Spread at 600rpm work at around 1000-1100 finish at 600rpm. FMJ at 600rpm.

Lake County 6in Pads (same as the ones I use with the UDM).

Yellow with 4star MCC 2200

Orange with Menzerna IP

White with Menzerna PO85RD

Red with Menzerna FMJ

Wipedown with Meg`s FK 425

Even with a rotary it takes a while. (especially since I go slow being new to it)

Cheers

Nick

Thread Information