Post Thanks / Like
    I used to hang around this forum about 4 years ago when I got a new 04 MX-5 Miata. I became obsessed with taking care of the car finish. I eventually burned out and went to the other extreme with occasional automatic car washes.

I just received a new 08 MX-5 Miata GT in Highland Green Mica with Saddle Brown leather interior and cloth top. The colour is breathtaking. (There were people in my parking lot yesterday taking pictures of the car on their cellphones.) For some reason it is not a popular colour. When I ordered the car, there was only one in this colour, with my options, in Canada! Anyways, back to the point. I don`t have a lot of time to update all the research on what`s best out there. I have a PC polisher (used once) and a supply of pads and MF towels. I have an assortment of sealers, polishers, and wax. This time I will only wash and wax. The last wax I bought was Meguiar`s NXT. Just wondering what is most popular for washing and waxing these days? I know these questions have been asked hundreds of times before and there is no clear concensus. I am wondering what would be best for this type of paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should stick with the NXT as a wax as it works wonders. I`m sure others here will chime in and mention other products that you can order online but I prefer to stick with OTC products.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really want to take care of your car, I would suggest NEVER going through an automatic car wash again. Those things scratch up your paint very badly and quickly.

So always try and hand wash your vehicle, preferrably soaping it up with a mitt, instead of any kind of brushes.

Drying it with a sheep skin chamois is the best choice. You can get those cheaper at Cosco for $13.99 a piece.

As for waxing, any wax with Carnuba (spelling?) is the best type of wax. I know is a Carnuba Meguiar`s wax you can get. Try and find the liquid wax, which allowes you to use an applicator pad and sit on your car the longer the better (approx time 1 hour).

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to my local car care store (Canadian Tire). I can`t believe they still only carry inferior waxes for the masses. Anyone know where in the Toronto area I can get decent product or do I have to resort to buying over the Internet again?

Thread Information