Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris223
    knucklebucket, with all due respect, why would you recommend to a guy coming in here clearly saying he`s a newb... to get a ROTARY with some Super Intensive Polish, isn`t that essentially a compound??? He`s going to wind up destroying his paint. I`ve been into keeping my car clean since I bought my first one back in `03... and I still refuse to touch a rotary.

Well, Picus may say otherwise and as much as I love seeing the positives in life, it really doesn`t matter what the OP gets to keep the car looking Autopian. (if the paint is the same as the 3 series)

I don`t think it is possible. It is the worst F....G paint.:down:down:down:down:down

Didn`t we have another guy awhile back picking up a Jet black 335 I think and I tried telling him to get the metallic black but he didn`t listen.

As far as I remember he never posted his car`s pictures.

If one doesn`t care about scratches, then by all means get jet black.

Here is one after 2 washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I`ve stated before, the car has already completed production a long time ago. There is no turning back to another color.

Now can somebody clear up what the deal is with those backing plates? Thanks for the revision Denzil, I will definitely take your suggestions into account
    2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Jet Black

Sports Pkg

Lemon Boston Leather Interior

High Black Gloss Trim

Comfort Access System

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoochio
    What type of backing plate do I need if I want to use 5.5" or 6.5" lake country pads with the UDM?

This really confused me.. why is it $288.00?

Sonus DAS FlexPlate, 5"

Then theres this, $15.95..

DAS FlexPlate, 5"

Whats the deal here?

I honestly want to say that the first link is a typo for the price... David can correct me or not on this one.

You can use a 5" or 6" backing plate, doesn`t really matter which brand (at least to me).
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    The UDM comes with a 5" backing plate, correct? If thats the case, I would just need to buy the UDM and some 6.5" pads?

What are the differences between LC OEM Style CCS Technology pads and LC CSS Technology Pads?

The LC OEM style CSS tech pads are $35 for 6 and the LC CSS tech pads are $53 for 6 on ebay..

edit: upon comparing pictures, it looks like the pads offered on AG are the cheaper "oem" style pads, but offered at $50 instead of $35, on ebay. Are the pictures wrong, or is the product mislabled, or what?

See for yourself:

Ebay LC OEM Style CSS tech pad

AG CCS 6.5 inch Smart Padsâ„¢ Dual Action Foam Pads by Lake Country

Ebay LC CSS Tech Pad

Am I just completely confused and these are 3 different types of pads? This is really starting to confuse me.
    2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Jet Black

Sports Pkg

High Black Gloss Trim

Comfort Access System

Post Thanks / Like
    :shocked

That is awful! My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    Well, Picus may say otherwise and as much as I love seeing the positives in life, it really doesn`t matter what the OP gets to keep the car looking Autopian. (if the paint is the same as the 3 series)

I don`t think it is possible. It is the worst F....G paint.:down:down:down:down:down

Didn`t we have another guy awhile back picking up a Jet black 335 I think and I tried telling him to get the metallic black but he didn`t listen.

As far as I remember he never posted his car`s pictures.

If one doesn`t care about scratches, then by all means get jet black.

Here is one after 2 washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother and I went to the local BMW dealership yesterday. Wow, are they amazing cars...

I was hoping to see a 2008 jet black paint job to see if the clear was still stupid soft for the 08 model year. I`m sorry to report that it is still as soft as ever. They had a couple jet black cars on the showroom floor. As I was looking at one (they probably thought I was nuts as I was maneuvering all over, trying to catch the overhead light reflections just right to see every little bit of marring), a sales guy came over with a squirt bottle and rag to remove some hand prints from a door. The car (other than the handprints) was completely clean. I don`t know about the rag he was using, but it was an MF. He marred the bejesus out of that door with some QD and an MF removing handprints. I couldn`t help myself... before I knew it, I was lecturing him and showing him the damage he`d just caused. He was actually very interested, and we spent about thirty minutes going over all the other cars in the showroom.. showing him the marring, talking about paint care, etc.

BTW, both the jet black cars had only been washed once. They were prepped and put on the showroom floor. Both looked like they had been washed daily by an ape with a piece of cheesecloth.

This paint is so stupid soft that I wonder if even Accumulator`s wash method would be gentle enough to prevent marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    The UDM comes with a 5" backing plate, correct? If thats the case, I would just need to buy the UDM and some 6.5" pads?

What are the differences between LC OEM Style CCS Technology pads and LC CSS Technology Pads?

The LC OEM style CSS tech pads are $35 for 6 and the LC CSS tech pads are $53 for 6 on ebay..

edit: upon comparing pictures, it looks like the pads offered on AG are the cheaper "oem" style pads, but offered at $50 instead of $35, on ebay. Are the pictures wrong, or is the product mislabled, or what?

See for yourself:

Ebay LC CSS Tech Pad

Am I just completely confused and these are 3 different types of pads? This is really starting to confuse me.

The LC pads you find on eBay are just OEM "style" pads and aren`t actually LC pads... just look like them (at least that is my assumption).

The ones from Autogeek are ACTUAL LC pads.

FWIW, as long as the pads do their job and their backings don`t fall apart soon after their purchase, I`m happy. They are just pads after all... :buffing:
    Devil Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    This paint is so stupid soft that I wonder if even Accumulator`s wash method would be gentle enough to prevent marring.

LoL, that was actually what I was wondering... also, how and why BMW would put this ridiculously soft paint on this car.
    Devil Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    The first 2 pads will work with the udm, but the last one from Proper auto care doesn`t work well with da mashines. The velcro will come right off.

On another note, in my one experience with that paint, only the rotary was able to correct it. Anything on the PC damaged it except for black blue or red pad with the wax.

Even a white pad swirled it up.

GOOD LUCK.

See for yourself:

Ebay LC CSS Tech Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Grats on your new 135i! I`d second/third/etc those who recommended you go with the Flex. If you`re going all out on this initial investment, there`s no reason to save a few bucks and regret later. From this thread, it sounds like you want to get it right from the start.

It`s ok to experiment with products (less expensive), but don`t fall for buyer`s regret on the buffer, as it`s the most expensive startup cost. I started off on the Flex, and it was not difficult to use (one of my biggest concerns).

I also recommend changing IP to P0106FF, especially since there`s a SIP/P0106FF combo deal going on at detailed image. PO106FF will also be your final polish.

I will be trying Chemical Guys soon (being shipped):

Extreme EZ Creme Glaze

Jet Seal 109 Sealant

50/50 Concourse Paste Wax

Good luck

P.S. I only use 1 grit guard in the rinse bucket. Not sure you need that many?

I`m thinking my list will go as follows:

Ultimate detailing machine

3-5 white LC 4"

3-5 orange LC 4"

3-5 black LC 4"

(2)10 pack of eurow MF towels (should I get 3?)

Menzerna SIP

Menzerna IP

Pinnacle Souveran paste wax

2-3 5gal buckets from lowes/home depot etc.

2-3 grit guards

foam gun

I need a final polish, suggestions for jet black soft bmw paint?

I need a glaze, suggestions for a jet black soft bmw paint?

I got some meguirs car wash.. will I need something else for my foam gun?

Should I look at some different type of wash if I`m trying to do a no touch wash?

I`m thinking about getting the CR spotless system so I don`t have to try.. I also have a leaf blower I can use. I`m not looking into pressurized water simply because the paint is soft and I want to keep the wax on so the dirt/bugs will just slide off with foam/rinsing.

Maybe it won`t get super duper clean without high pressure wash, but I`ll probably wash with some kind of wash media once a month and detail once every 2-3 months or so.

Anything I`m missing?

edit: reason why I`m looking at UDM > flex is because of pricing and that the paint I`m working with primarily is pretty soft. It probably won`t take much correction power to polish it up..

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres my final list, please look over it for me before I order.

(1) Grit Guard Insert

(2) Sheepskin Wash Mitts

(1) Clar Bar & Clay Lube Combo

(1) Menzerna Intensive Polish 16oz

(1) Menzerna Final Polish II 16oz

(1) Red Moose Machine Glaze 16oz

(1) P21S 100% Carnauba Wax

(1) Flex XC3401VRG Starter Package -- (Modified pad order, Yellow Pad removal, +(1) Orange/White Pad)

-(3)Orange Light Cutting Pad - 6.5"

-(3)White Polishing Pad - 6.5"

-(2)Black Finishing Pad - 6.5"

-(2)Blue Fine Finishing Pad - 6.5"

(1) Chemical Guys Foam Pad Cleaner 16oz

(1) Chemical Guys Microfiber Cleaning Detergent 16oz

(5) DI Microfiber Applicator Pad

(1) Poorboys Wheel Sealant 8oz

(1) Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel 16oz

(1) 303 Aerospace Protectant 16oz

(1) Leatherique Pristine Clean 16oz

(1) Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil 16oz

(1) Firm Bristle Upholstery Brush

(1) Jumbo Vent Brush

(3) Eurow 10 pack Microfiber Shag Weave Towel

Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to help a novice, I really appreciate it.

On another note, I`m still looking into vacuum/blowers and either the CR Spotless system or an alternative. If anyone has recommendations on those, please feel free to chime in as I`m sure others could benefit from it as well. As I`m we all know, you can never have enough car detailing stuff! I`m figuring that out first hand as we speak.. :har:
    2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Jet Black

Sports Pkg

High Black Gloss Trim

Comfort Access System

Post Thanks / Like
    Your list looks good.

As for a vacuum, I opted for a Craftsman 5-HP wet/dry vacuum. My particular model allows me to use it as a blower as well. I think mine is a 12-gallon unit but you really don`t need anything that large.

As for the CR Spotless, I just use normal water.
    Devil Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    .................I`m still looking into vacuum/blowers and either the CR Spotless system or an alternative............
    If you`re looking for a blower to dry the car you might want to consider the Air Wand. I`ve been thinking about it for at least 2 years, but Accumulator has one and it works well for him.

An alternative to the CR Spotless is:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...rspotless.html

I started using a single cartridge version last year and with our water it has worked really well. I installed quick disconnects so it`s easy/quick to only use it for the rinse.

The rest of your list looks pretty good, but I`d still get at least a couple of soft WW MF`s to dry the occasional drip with, below are my favorites, you can`t go wrong with any of them:

Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel

MICROPAK 25" x 36" Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel

Blue Perl Drying Towel

SUPER Absorber Waffle Weave Drying Microfiber Towel SILK BANDED
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy CRAP!!!!!, I would have loved to start out with that list. It took me fifteen cars before I got there. Good luck with all of that, it looks like you pretty much have it covered. That little beemer is going to be will taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres my final list, please look over it for me before I order.

(1) Grit Guard Insert

(2) Sheepskin Wash Mitts

(1) Clar Bar & Clay Lube Combo

(1) Menzerna Intensive Polish 16oz

(1) Menzerna Final Polish II 16oz

(1) Red Moose Machine Glaze 16oz

(1) P21S 100% Carnauba Wax

(1) Flex XC3401VRG Starter Package -- (Modified pad order, Yellow Pad removal, +(1) Orange/White Pad)

-(3)Orange Light Cutting Pad - 6.5"

-(3)White Polishing Pad - 6.5"

-(2)Black Finishing Pad - 6.5"

-(2)Blue Fine Finishing Pad - 6.5"

(1) Chemical Guys Foam Pad Cleaner 16oz

(1) Chemical Guys Microfiber Cleaning Detergent 16oz

(5) DI Microfiber Applicator Pad

(1) Poorboys Wheel Sealant 8oz

(1) Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel 16oz

(1) 303 Aerospace Protectant 16oz

(1) Leatherique Pristine Clean 16oz

(1) Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil 16oz

(1) Firm Bristle Upholstery Brush

(1) Jumbo Vent Brush

(3) Eurow 10 pack Microfiber Shag Weave Towel

Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to help a novice, I really appreciate it.

On another note, I`m still looking into vacuum/blowers and either the CR Spotless system or an alternative. If anyone has recommendations on those, please feel free to chime in as I`m sure others could benefit from it as well. As I`m we all know, you can never have enough car detailing stuff! I`m figuring that out first hand as we speak.. :har:

Either replace the p21s with it or get it in addition but make sure you get some collinite 915 you will not be sorry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information