Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claying Wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    So in discussion with most people I hear people saying they spend 20-30 minutes claying thier car. I feel like I may be doing something wrong because I spend 30-45 on the hood alone. Generally it takes me 3+ hours...now this is on cars that have never been clayed before. I just started on my 2004 S4 and only made it through the hood because it took so long. Is this just an initial thing? Will all the other times be eaiser? Am I doing something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiUrLg
    So in discussion with most people I hear people saying they spend 20-30 minutes claying thier car. I feel like I may be doing something wrong because I spend 30-45 on the hood alone. Generally it takes me 3+ hours...now this is on cars that have never been clayed before. I just started on my 2004 S4 and only made it through the hood because it took so long. Is this just an initial thing? Will all the other times be eaiser? Am I doing something wrong?

Second time around it gets a lot easier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you stated that this car has never been clayed.. it can take you that long.

When you finally get everything cleared up after claying, just clay twice a year and it should only take you about half an hour next time.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    The previous posters are all correct. The initial clay process can take you all day. I spent over 5 hours yesterday claying my white S2000 that I just purchased (it`s a used 2004). It takes that long when you are removing every SPEC of imbedded dirt over the course of an entire vehicle. Take your time!
    Addicted to flawless, clean cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure you`re using enough lube (QD), and don`t forget to either polish or apply a wax/sealant!
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is one clay THAT much better than another? Yes, I generally do use the Klasse twins, but right now I`m having to work my way through claying whenever I can set the time aside. Water restrictions have been lifted as of today, but I have been using ONR. Its just a pain to try to clean the car every few days to clay some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Macruz19
    Just make sure you`re using enough lube (QD), and don`t forget to either polish or apply a wax/sealant!

Yep, use a lot of lube, and apply very minimal pressure, otherwise, you might induce marring. It will take less time next time you clay.

Also, you might want to break up your clay into 2-3 pieces because if you drop it, you are better off throwing it away.
    Kent

2002 530i Sterling Grau

1992 525i Schwarz

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it can take a while. Different clays have different levels of aggressiveness too which can add to the amount of time spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Macruz19
    don`t forget to either polish or apply a wax/sealant!
    This is a biggie.

Nearly everytime I clay I end up getting the small surface scratches that look like spiderwebbing in straight lines. It doesn`t matter how much lube I use or how gentle I am on the surface. The defect is sometimes very hard to notice as the lighting has to be perfect to see the marks. This is why I do not clay unless I am following with a polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiUrLg
    Is one clay THAT much better than another?

Yeah, both generally and also for specific jobs. My fave was discontinued due to supposed patent infringement issues but now there are aggressive, medium, and ultra-fine clays. And there are somewhat subtle differences within those categories.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m just in the process of claying my car currently, i got spray can paint overspray all over it on accident yesterday. its taken me an hour + already just to do a fender and hood. i think some people like to exaggerate how quickly they do it. i`d say you`re on a good pace, speed doesn`t get you better results.

i also get the same straight swirling/marring youre talking about, i like to think clay basically functions as a 5000 grit sandpaper.. i don`t think you can really do it without any scratches when you`re rubbing it into the clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000firebird
    i`m just in the process of claying my car currently, i got spray can paint overspray all over it on accident yesterday....I like to think clay basically functions as a 5000 grit sandpaper.. i don`t think you can really do it without any scratches when you`re rubbing it into the clear

Claying aggressively enough to remove overspray is some pretty aggressive claying! It`s certainly possible to clay *gently* without marring the paint, at least as long as it`s not some weird stupid-soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there store bought clays that you would stay away from?

Post Thanks / Like
    AudiUrLg- I`m no authority on OTC clay :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    which clay bars do you guys recommend? Anything you can buy at a store?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Por2geezSupra
    which clay bars do you guys recommend? Anything you can buy at a store?
    For over-the-counter stuff, both Clay Magic and the current Meguiar`s clay seem OK to me. The Meg`s is pretty mild, and Clay Magic (IMO/IME) is just a bit more aggressive (while still very gentle). You should be able to find one or the other (or both) at most parts stores.

Tort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information