Post Thanks / Like
    i just bought a used 2000 f250, with neglected black paint. today i washed it and used some megs deep crystal cleaner, which helped get the contaminants off, and then followed up with megs polish, which by hand did nothing. hopefully someone can tell by the pictures of the swirls what i need to do. i do have access to a rotary, and a small amount of experience buffing, but that was mostly a cut and buff after painting, and never removing swirls from black paint, so if possible i`d like to do it by hand, if there is any product that can do it, if not, how about a product that will do it with a rotary buffer, preferable OTC.

here`s the truck

and here`s the swirls

the pictures are only of the tailgate, but the whole truck is in that shape, sucks for me..

so do you pro`s have any tips about the best way to make this thing shine?

Post Thanks / Like
    would scratchX help enough or am i looking at having to use a compound?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man that truck is a bit of a project. You`ll probably want to get someone local to show you around the rotary, there is no way that`s happening by hand or even PC.

If I were you, I`d watch all the videos/read all the tips I could on the rotary, then jump in. The big machine is not nearly as hard to get good with as people seem to think. Just keep it moving at all times, stay off the edges until you get the hang of it, and keep the RPMS under 1700, and you`ll be great.

I`d pick up a quart of Presta Ultra Cutting Creme Light, a Presta Green wool pad, a quart of 3M Ultrafina SE and a 3m Ultrafina finishing pad at your local body shop supply. Should set you back around 70 for all of that, but it`s the right products and enough product to last years.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    i am by no means an expert, but i must say as themightytimmah said a rotary should get those out. I just got one (cheap chicago electric) and it is not that hard to use as long as you keep it at a low speed and dont tilt too sharply, oh and avoid edges as it has thin clear coat/paint. check out youtube for the meguiars series on how to use a rotary. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me , or is it totally possible to get those I`d say "Intensive" swirling out with a PC or UDM type of machine?

I wasn`t aware the Random Orbitals were limited to any swirling, much less what is shown in the picture? -- I thought Rotarys got the job done faster and more efficiently,.. and could tackle , perhaps, some deeper scratches and what not. But do they not both cut the paint, and thus with the right pad/polish combo a PC would work just fine?

Yes, the truck has alot of swirls in it, but it doesn`t look like its beyond repair of a polish of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, i might start polishing this weekend i guess. looks like an all day job at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, i got it done, just about anyways. hit it with some 3m compound and a standard buffing pad, then with the ultrafina and ultrafina foam pad. for whatever reason i couldn`t get ALL the fine swirls out, so i`m gonna need to do a quick hand polish before i wax it. the truck already looks ALOT better now though.

Thread Information