Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofate
    I will post pictures -- But I really don`t think they will do it justice. I think the major advantage of this product is how it changes the leathers feel. In my case taking a hardening leather and making it supple soft again.

With the pristine cleaner, and the fact that there is alot of product and dirt coming to the surface that is considerably thick. You invariably end up cleaning the leather very , very well -- So it should alter the color to some degree, and take out minor discoloration.

Is your couch stiffening ? Or does it just need cleaning?

If just cleaning, leatherique is too much to spend on that, there are good cleaning solutions for cheap.

If it needs to become soft like it was when you bought it (or much better than it is now).. then this would be the best solution for it. It works on anything leather,.. cars, couches, desk chairs, purses, certain shoes, wallets, etc.

It`s stiffening, and it has checkerboard cracking (very fine). It`s also fading. It kinda reminds me of how paint oxidizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha -- Sounds like leatherique is definitely for you. Considering its a couch,.. I would apply it liberally.. let it sit an hour, apply again.. Then let it sit for a couple of days before removing. Or,.. if people have to sit on it. Layer it with a plastic tarp. That will further work the rejuventor in, and you can keep it on for many days so it will really do its thing, because you aren`t going to turn the heat on max in your home

I wouldn`t even wait for `my` results -- It works, many attest to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, thank you very much for the info.

Anxious to see your results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Please do not use leatherique on your couch. Adding oils to cracked leather like this will release the adhesion of the pigment and make the cracking worse. If the cracking is very fine this is a good time to do some remedial restoration. Adding oils at this stage could be very detrimental to any work you need to do on it later.

Fading can be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Judy. I am no "Leather Consultant".

But I do wonder why Leatherique would destroy the couch?

What makes it so different from the leather I have in my Lexus, that is 14 yrs old?

Leatherique recommends using this on Couches specifically -- Your the expert says your title, but I have a hard time believing the leatherique would A) Damage the couch, and Not help it.

All couches aren`t the same I would imagine, I`m sure some with X coats, would be just like applying to leather in a vehicle (all vehicles aren`t the same) -- And some with Y coats it would be more dangerous.

Again, what makes the couch different than the Lexus? Leatherique has been in use since 1968, and is used on furniture commonly. I`m a bit perplexed that it would be unsafe for anything `leather`, esp if it has somewhat of a clearcoat on it.

Educate me, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. I can`t wait to see the after pics and your thoughts... I have been debating on using Leatherique on my 350Z leather seats. They are in perfect condition but from what I hear there is no better leather conditioner.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofate
    Thanks for that Judy. I am no "Leather Consultant".

But I do wonder why Leatherique would destroy the couch?

What makes it so different from the leather I have in my Lexus, that is 14 yrs old?

Leatherique recommends using this on Couches specifically -- Your the expert says your title, but I have a hard time believing the leatherique would A) Damage the couch, and Not help it.

All couches aren`t the same I would imagine, I`m sure some with X coats, would be just like applying to leather in a vehicle (all vehicles aren`t the same) -- And some with Y coats it would be more dangerous.

Again, what makes the couch different than the Lexus? Leatherique has been in use since 1968, and is used on furniture commonly. I`m a bit perplexed that it would be unsafe for anything `leather`, esp if it has somewhat of a clearcoat on it.

Educate me, please.

Judy doesn`t think Leatherique is anything special to say the least. There is another thread here with several of her posts and she has never used Leatherique but, "knows it won`t transform leather in any way"......

So basically all the satisfied Leatherique customers are just dreaming I guess.....

Anyway, thanks for the write up here and I`m looking forward to the afters on your gray LS 400 seats.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Leather does not need `conditioning`. The only conditioner leather needs is moisture so you need to use a water based cleaner and protector and this will keep your leather in good `condition`.

TO FEED OR PROTECT

There is still a huge body of detailers out there (and a good percentage of upholstery cleaners/leather technicians/retailers/consumers) who are desperate to Ă¢â‚¬ËœfeedĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ and/or Ă¢â‚¬ËœconditionĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ their leather. Usually this would consist of spreading some sort of oil or grease containing product onto their leather (milk, Vaseline, baby oil, musk oil being some of the more bizarre we have come across!!!!).

What we ask is why?

When leather is manufactured a certain amount of oil and fat is introduced into the hide and, (with the exception of one or two complex situations) this is where it stays. It does not evaporate or migrate or leave the leather by any other means.

What does leave the leather is moisture (water), and it is this that needs replacing.

Dry leather is more susceptible to a whole range of problems. The most obvious is cracking, both of finish and fibres.

Next is raised absorbency levels which means body oils containing fats and acids will more readily soak into the leather (ever seen those dark areas on head rests and arm ends on furniture) eventually destroying finishes and the leather itself.

Dry leather will be a sponge for spills, tea, coffee, red wine, ink, any product with colouring once soaked inside leather will leave a permanent stain, which depending on leather type may or may not be fixableĂ¢â‚¬â€at a price.

Some hide foods and conditioners if properly formulated and used correctly with leather type taken into account will not damage the leather, others particularly if they contain waxes and silicones are likely to do more harm than good. The basis of a good type would be an emulsion of lanoline and water. The water re-hydrates and the lanoline helps the leather to hold the moisture for a little longer. This does not , however address the issue of protecting the leather. But it is cheap to manufacture and therefore can be sold at a low price (or an expensive price if it has a `name` attached to it!!).

Leather Protectors on the other hand are a complex formulation and the ingredients are expensive, therefore the end product is more costly, often 2-3 times the price of a conditioner. BUT THEY DO WORK.. We always use the Ă¢â‚¬ËœScotchgardĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ analogy to explain how, without getting technical it is the easiest way. Its effectiveness can also be demonstrated. Leather Protector performs all the good functions of a Ă¢â‚¬ËœconditionerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ or Ă¢â‚¬ËœfoodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ product but will leave a virtually invisible, breathable, non greasy coating on the surface. This will be effective at helping to resist stains via spillages, dye transfer and day to day soiling, including body oilsĂ¢â‚¬¦ It is not bullet proof and the leather still needs cleaning, but the dirt will be sitting in or on the protector and will clean off more effectively. During the cleaning process the protective element will also be reduced and need replacing. Good Protectors also contain UV protection which will help against fading etc. in sunnier climes.

How often is the next question and a tricky one to answer. Some leathers we would recommend a light clean and protect once a month, others a good clean and protect 1-2 times per year. There are so many finishes on the market at present that it is not wise to generalize. Experience and knowledge is the best guide. However on most car leathers 1-2 times per year should suffice.

Bottom lineĂ¢â‚¬â€œ to treat furniture with a good quality Leather Protector will probably cost a little more per average car than a Ă¢â‚¬ËœconditionerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ or Ă¢â‚¬ËœfoodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ product but the benefits far out way this cost and the effects can be demonstrated for your customer to see.

Ă‚©Andy Alcock LTT2006

The addition of extra oils into the leather (especially cracked leather) will not help. What it does is swell the fibres and coats them in oil which then releases the bond between the leather and pigment which means that any cracking will get worse.

The chemistry behind the leatherique system in our opinion simply does not stack up and whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process, it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort. Water based cleaners and protectors keep leather in good condition.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here is the process a bit after 4 hours in 90degree heat:

and a close up of where the contaminants are surfacing -- (this isn`t the leather discolored or messed up, (wiping this will make it perfect).

Another 4hrs and we`ll see what becomes of it.

*You`ll notice what looks like streaking, it is actually contaminants surfacing in that pattern. Perhaps previous products used in concentration that did streak once upon a time. I wiped a section of one of those to test, to make sure it wasn`t some bad streak pattern and it wiped clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb
    Leather does not need `conditioning`.

The chemistry behind the leatherique system in our opinion simply does not stack up and whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process, it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort. Water based cleaners and protectors keep leather in good condition.

Hope this helps

I see.. interesting stuff.

The leatherique has the ingredients you mentioned (and alot more of course).. I imagine it has a little milk in it, who knows

But it specifically said it had zero silicone in it, to point out it does no damage. It explains how it works, but I don`t have the literature in my office at the moment.

The only thing that `worries` me about your statements is that the cracking will get much much worse due to the application of the leatherique. We will see on that one,.. but if my leather becomes soft again -- I will consider this worth it and a success. If the cracks become somewhat worse in the next year or so.. I will start recommending against the product. But I really think it has merit. Again, this is not based on fact but logic and the testimony of many others.

I think it is feeding the leather -- whether it is backed by fact or not I do not know. I`m sure there is debate amongst the experts on both sides of the argument. I will judge the effects first hand and base it on that.. If I were in the field of `leather` then I would of course study this extensively.

So, if people are on the fence about leatherique or `conditioning` their leather in general -- They should take your expert advice and know that leather just does not need conditioning, period.

I tend to think it needs some help as it ages.

I agree with the protectant, very much so.

I intend on putting a UV protectant to `seal` per se once I`m done with the cleaning process. This is safe for leather, and will further keep the suns rays from damage.

One question for you --

You say leather just loses moisture, water.

How does one get the moisture back into the leather if conditioners of all common types are , simply, a waste of money and do not work (but damage) ?

Pour water on it?

Thanks for the expert advice, it is intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neofate- I`m watching your Leatherique process with interest, and I`ll be interested to hear how things are down the road too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coated leather it`s a waste of time. However, uncoated leather this stuff is like the fountain of youth.

I did an old Austin Heley that had very dry, nasty leather and owner was ready for recover on these seats. Ran several applications and it`s like the seats were recovered. That good!

However, coated leather, stay with mild water based conditioners and simple cleaners. Too much solvents will remove the very thin coating and part of the natural tanning oils from the leather. K.I.S.S. is the best way to treat todays leather that is coated.

In fact, most manuals will say to use a mild detergent/soap to clean them.

Still, Leatherique has it`s place and it does do well on the "old stuff".

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only share my personal experiences with Leatherique. I`ve used it on the cars (coated leather, hours of dwell time), I`ve used it on purses, wallets, shoes and leather furniture. I`ve had nothing but satisfying experiences apart from getting the RO on my skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll draw peoples` attention back to this thread, take a look at the seats in the 928:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...er-system.html

I`m going to PM the author of the post and ask him if he`ll share a few thoughts and also report back months later if there has been any degradation of the leather surfaces or any related client complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    I`ll draw peoples` attention back to this thread, take a look at the seats in the 928:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...er-system.html

I`m going to PM the author of the post and ask him if he`ll share a few thoughts and also report back months later if there has been any degradation of the leather surfaces or any related client complaints.

Good Idea!

I dislike people who come into threads about a product they`ve never used and dis grade it.

Test looks like it`s going good! Can`t wait to see it finished.:clap:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information