Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for the best product to remove the "Industrial Fallout" from my white 2007 F150. Nasty little rust specks!

I`d like something that I can use in the spring and then in the fall, before applying wax.

I was planing to use Collinite 476S for wax.

What kind of clay would work the best?

Does anyone use the Finish Kare FK1 decontamination system?

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a decon case. Clay removes the top of the embedded particle and therefore it will bloom out again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator has alot of knowledge about decon systems. Hopefully he`ll chime in here. There`s a car in my family I`d like to decon and detail soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Auto International or Called valu gards decom sysytem..in fact Ford has a service bulletin to wash all vehicles with this system before delivery....when I bought my truck I was able to watch it done...

I bought the Auto Int system and wash the cars once a year with it...and any car i do that needs a claying...you still may have to clay some spots..but the system takes about 99% of all contaminants off the paint...worth every penny

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the second time I am going to use a decontamination system on my car.

I am only familiar with the FK1 system. I could not find the AutoINT (or I was not looking hard enough) decontamination system. I read “clay while the acid is dwellingâ€â€ I use the acidic step as clay lubricant. works for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Detail/ Reconditioning - Automotive International

The Autoint smells better than the FK system.

Post Thanks / Like
    What an important point...

Post Thanks / Like
    Which Automotive International products are needed to decotaminate my truck?

Acid Neutralizer & Alkaline Neutralizer???

Will I be able to apply the Collinite 476S right after the decontamination is complete, or are there other additional steps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I would love to see a complete "how to use a paint decontamination system" post. I`m sure there`s one here somewhere, just can`t seem to get the search function to cooperate lately. I`ve never used one, either, and I would like to do it on a family member`s car before I detail it for him.

It seems like Accumulator had a very good "how to" for decon systems... but again, I can`t find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to sound lazy, but I`m looking for the least complicated method for eliminating this "Industrial Fallout".

I`m not driving some classic street machine, it`s standard cab, 2wd, 2007 F150.

But I`d like to keep it blemish free, and rust free as long as possible!

One other difficulty that I`m up against is that I live in an apartment complex, so the closest thing that I have to a hose and bucket, is my bucket & mitt down at the coin car wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimL
    I hate to sound lazy, but I`m looking for the least complicated method for eliminating this "Industrial Fallout".

I`m not driving some classic street machine, it`s standard cab, 2wd, 2007 F150.

But I`d like to keep it blemish free, and rust free as long as possible!

One other difficulty that I`m up against is that I live in an apartment complex, so the closest thing that I have to a hose and bucket, is my bucket & mitt down at the coin car wash.

I bought the Fk1 system a year ago and decided against using it after a few articles I read. Using acid and other extremely harsh chemicals on my paint and plastics is a bit unsettling as well as possible health concerns.

Recently, I read something that Dr.G wrote that again soldified my concerns, its over on the Opt site, I`ll link it. Paint Decontamination - Optimum Forum(obviously, this is taken with a grain of salt, considering its from a mfg with a competing product)

To the OP`s Q, I would go after it with some medium clay, CM Blue, Z Clay, or the like and then polish/compound and finish with a strong AIO to get any remaining fallout. This has worked perfect on the car I was going to do the DECON on and no fallout has "blooomed" nor returned in any form, its been about 8 months. GL.

I would certainly do a Decon system at the very last resort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SupeBee364
    It seems like Accumulator had a..."how to" for decon systems...

Yeah, I`m sure I`ve posted this before but searches never work all that great for *me* so I figure some stuff is worth rehashing now and then. So:

I`ve had enough rust-blooms on white and silver vehicles to be a firm believer in decontamination systems. And note that I`ve been claying since detailing clay came out in the early `90s. Clay, polishes, and paint cleaners simply do not, IME, work as well for this as the decon systems; I`ve *finally* put an end to recurring rust-blooms on my silver vehicles. The other approaches work great if/when the ferrous contamination is only in the LSP or only *very lightly* contaminating the paint, but for real *contamination* I`d recommend a decon system.

I`ve only used the AutoInt ABC system, I have the first/alkaline step of the FK one here but I got rid of the car I was gonna use it on. SO...I can only comment on the AutoInt/ValuGard system.

I`ve used this on a fair number of vehicles (including my beloved S8 when it was brand new) and I`ve never had any problems of any kind. BUT I don`t use the acidic step on not-newish *Audi* vehicles that have aluminum trim for fear of what the acid might do to said trim should the factory finish (anodizing/etc.) be compromised, which is usually is. In a case of extreme oxidation I`d use it, I`d just take precautions regarding the trim, which wouldn`t be all *that* big a deal. IMO it`s using an acidic wheel cleaner on aluminum wheels that have a compromised coating...you can do it, but you need to do it *right* to avoid problems, and you shouldn`t do it at all without a good reason.

The first/"A"/alkaline step is really just a super-shampoo that strips off (at least most of) whatever`s on the finish (old wax/sap/tar/etc.). You mix it up in a bucket (don`t try to make suds, they`ll never stop ), wash the car in a conventional manner and then rinse it off. It cleans *VERY* well, *WAY* better than Dawn/etc. and sorta like a PrepSol wipedown It`s never damaged any plastic/etc. for me but, like PrepSol, I wouldn`t use it every week either

The second/"B"/acidic step is used straight, no dilution. I put it in a squeeze bottle and apply it with a terry-covered sponge. I try to keep it *off* the glass and brightwork but I don`t obsess over it either. You have to keep it wet, don`t let it dry on the finish. This proved easier in practice than I was expecting; doing the minivan in a fairly hot garage in the summer was no problem at all, but don`t try it in the sun. While the acid dwells I also clay any areas that seem to need it- note that the clay doesn`t last long when used this way. Then you rinse it off. I`ll often do a second or even third application if there appears to be any trace of remaining ferrous contamination (rust blooms/etc.). IMO the acid is quite mild, much more so than I was expecting. I do wear gloves though, for both the "A" and "B" steps. Otherwise it smarts if you get it in an open cut and I have sorta sensitive skin anyhow. Note that "milder/easier than I was expecting" was my primary impression of this step.

The third/"C"/ph-neutral step is the regular Valugard shampoo, which doesn`t impress me much. Note that, being ph-neutral, it doesn`t really neutralize/counteract the acid, it just washes off whatever might remain following the earlier rinse. It has a cool green color and its relative lack of lubricity probably doesn`t matter as everything is very clean by this point anyhow. But I just use my regular shampoos instead (I now only order the "A" and "B" products).

As I noted, I`ve only used the ABC, not the FK, but I *did* buy the FK alkaline step for a "super-shampoo" to use on used cars that I buy and other sorta-nasty detailing projects. We`ll see if it`s as horrible-smelling as I`ve heard (and I`ve heard it`s mighty awful, as in, throw-away-that-mitt awful). I`ve discussed the two systems at considerable length with the people at both FK and AutoInt and, while I don`t want to badmouth anything that I haven`t tried, I am utterly confident that I didn`t make a mistake going with the AutoInt ABC instead of the FK. I don`t think anybody will go *wrong* with the FK system, but I decided to go the other way and I`ve been perfectly happy with ABC. So why did I buy the FK alkaline step? Because a) I was curious about it and b)I could get it in a small quantity.

Some people have implied that after decon you don`t need to use a paint cleaner/polish/etc. but I dunno...I`ve always used at least a cleaner or very mild polish, even on brand-new vehicles. Yeah, things were squeaky clean but I still thought it`d be a good idea. And how many vehicles are *really* 100% marring-free But if you don`t have an issue with marring you could *probably* go straight to LSP. I myself...well, I`d always use at least *something* first and there are plenty of products that`d only take 10-15 minutes, even on something big like a Suburban.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed. Thanks for that, Accumulator!

Post Thanks / Like
    My pleasure Now if I can just remember this thread next time the topic comes up I can save myself some typing Oughta just save such stuff to word....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

As I noted, I`ve only used the ABC, not the FK, but I *did* buy the FK alkaline step for a "super-shampoo" to use on used cars that I buy and other sorta-nasty detailing projects. We`ll see if it`s as horrible-smelling as I`ve heard (and I`ve heard it`s mighty awful, as in, throw-away-that-mitt awful).

Are you talking about the 1119 Soil Coating & PBS Pre-wash? Last time i ordered from finish kare they sent me a small sample bottle of it. I opened it up and it smelled like cancer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information