Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been on autotopia for a little while now and picked up a great deal of information (as well as credit card debt), but there’s one thing I can admit to really sucking at... drying.

In my part of Texas we have HORRIBLE water. If it’s at anything over 80 (And it’s usually at 100 during the summer) it doesn`t matter how much shade I have, I just can’t get it up before getting water spots. I`ve been using a leaf blower to get as much as I can off after letting it sheet, but it just doesn`t get everything and it’s a PAIN to use, as it weights 30 pounds or so. As far as using a microfiber goes, I`m just not comfortable doing that. I don`t like running cloth over my paint, and I don`t think I ever will. Also, the only method I feel slightly safe using is blotting the water off. And doing that usually lets some of the water dry before I`m done (granted, its probably due to my inexperience in conjunction with my uneasiness.).

So my question(s) is,

1. What would be the best method for my situation?

2. Are there any affordable water softener type devices that would be good to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try chemicalguys.com and get there Jetspeed dryer, its small, cheap has a rubber end....perfect for air drying.

Best time to wash, early in the morning/evening. I`ll even pull out my Halogen light on my driveway and wash at night. I have to because of the AZ heat. Also, make sure your cars paint is cold!!!

I use the water sheet method, then the Jetspeed dryer. Anything left I use a microfiber waffle weave drying towel and blot the pain.

Water Softeners will work, but will cost $$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, switch to ONR.

It gets really hot here in SoCal, and I got really tired of trying to dry black cars quick enough. I switched to ONR and simply do everything in my garage now so I don`t have to worry about it. This is the easiest solution that I came up with.
    Jonathan Edwards

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Newport Beach, La Jolla, Montecito

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AP2TUDE
    Honestly, switch to ONR.

It gets really hot here in SoCal, and I got really tired of trying to dry black cars quick enough. I switched to ONR and simply do everything in my garage now so I don`t have to worry about it. This is the easiest solution that I came up with.

+1

I`ve seen some really good reviews on ONR.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    ONR is nice, because you can wash in direct sun, and since you are only washing a small area at a time, you can wash and dry that area before the water starts drying on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nmxdaven
    As far as using a microfiber goes, I`m just not comfortable doing that. I don`t like running cloth over my paint, and I don`t think I ever will.

I was thinking ONR also till I read that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    I was thinking ONR also till I read that

He could continue to blot, instead of rub. He would be dealing with much less water to blot, than with a traditional wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the only option to wash during the day with sun out... I constantly keep my car wet. For the final rinse, I let the water sheet off my car so the drying process is faster. I hurry and wash the car, and I park the car straight into the garage. From there... I get my WW drying towel, and dry my windows first since it tends to dry faster and creates unwanted water spots. When I dry, I blot dry, and let the WW do the absorbing. When I use left and right motions drying, it`s usually when I want the surface of the paint damp so there`s no waters spots when it dries. Usually a 16x24 WW towel can dry my whole entire TL. I use a seperate old WW for my door jambs.

Once the car is fully dry, I apply tire dressings, dressings to the wheel wells, dry all wheels, and apply a QD to maintain the slickness. I can do this in about 1 1/2 hours. If it`s hot outside... I take my time when I`m in the garage.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    When it`s hot and you have ONR, I stay in the garage and wash from there. As for drying the car... it`s the same procedure if I was using the standard wash. I blot dry.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t get too caught up with not wanting to rub a microfiber across the paint. One of my cars is a Honda (soft paint), and I wash it with ONR, and dry with quality microfiber towels. I did a full scale polish on the car right after I got it, and now only need a very light polish about once a year - so I have no problems drying and using the ONR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnl135i
    Try chemicalguys.com and get there Jetspeed dryer, its small, cheap has a rubber end....perfect for air drying.

Water Softeners will work, but will cost $$$

That looks like a real nice dryer. Pretty cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by AP2TUDE
    Honestly, switch to ONR.
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    I wouldn`t get too caught up with not wanting to rub a microfiber across the paint. One of my cars is a Honda (soft paint), and I wash it with ONR, and dry with quality microfiber towels. I did a full scale polish on the car right after I got it, and now only need a very light polish about once a year - so I have no problems drying and using the ONR.

You know, I`m not totally against using ONR if I can get comfortable with using it. I`ve seen tons of post regarding ONR and it seems very safe as far as marring goes. However, I`m really worried that I won`t use proper technique and mar my finish.

Anyone have a good right up on how to use it? I may just buy a bottle and try it on my gf`s car first too see how I am with it. Also how important is the type of microfiber used? The ones I have have a very large nap. Do I need something a little smoother?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM - I have a detailed write-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nmxdaven
    That looks like a real nice dryer. Pretty cheap too.

You know, I`m not totally against using ONR if I can get comfortable with using it. I`ve seen tons of post regarding ONR and it seems very safe as far as marring goes. However, I`m really worried that I won`t use proper technique and mar my finish.

Anyone have a good right up on how to use it? I may just buy a bottle and try it on my gf`s car first too see how I am with it.

LOL!! That`s funny.. use the GF`s car as the test product.

Just read and search, and when you use it, you`ll find your own way using ONR.

I do the wheels, and wheel wells first using 1 gallon.

I use another 2 gallons with ONR for my paint/windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    Sent you a PM - I have a detailed write-up.

Thanks for the info. I think I`ll make an order later today and take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Macruz19
    LOL!! That`s funny.. use the GF`s car as the test product.

Her 1992 Civic is a great test bed with its soft paint, but I usually have to polish the swirls out of a section to tell if its marring the paint or not. :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to washing and drying, one thing I see a lot of people do (incorrectly) is they apply way too much pressure with their mitt when they are washing, and their towel when they are drying.

I like to apply the "use the least aggressive process first" theory to washing/drying as well as polishing. If you are using a good soap (or ONR), and a high quality mitt (or grout sponge), rubbing it lightly over the paint will do a good job of cleaning. The same can be said for drying...you don`t have to put a lot of force behind the towel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information