Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a used car a week ago that is in great shape except for the steering wheel. It is an alcantera covered wheel and the nap of the material is smooth now. In fact the wheel is actually slick versus the tackiness it should have.

So after searching and finding a number of suggestions on how to clean alcantera I did not see anything about "raising the nap".

Anyone run into this and solved it??

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it happen to be a BMW? BMW pulled their alcantara wheels on the ZHP package because it couldn`t hold up. In the mean time, I`m not sure how to restore the wheel to its original condition, but here`s a guide to cleaning the stuff...

EDIT: Here`s what I pulled from Bimmerfest:

I have an experience to clean my ZHP alcantara steering wheel. so just want to share. I supposed to ask the dealer to change a new steering wheel for me, but i got the denial answer. I tried my best to shop around the shop, carpet shop for a cleaner. Luckly, I found a suede cleaner in Playless shoe store. It is a foam can with a brush on the top. Then I went to Champ sport store to find a suede cleaning bar and brush. The suede bar look like an eraser. OK, now, I am going to tell step by step to clean the alcantar wheel.

1. Use the suede bar rub on the wheel, you will see some little white power come out, just use gentle pressure. do not rub hard. work a small area first to test the result.

2. use the soft brush to brush the wheel surface. DO NOT use the one came with the spray can. That one is hard for your wheel. Brush very lightly. Work on a small area first.

3. Use a small handheld vaccum machine to suck all dirts and dust up.

4. Spray the suede spray foam (the one from paylesss shoe store) on the wheel. Then use only soft cotton cloth to clean the wheel surface. After that you should see the wheel is little hairy. But it is ok.

5. After it dry about 30 mins. you need to use your hand to grab the wheel and rub on the wheel surface lightly, those hairy material will be push flat again on the wheel.

6. After cleaning, your alcantara wheel willl look a little darker than before and feel very very good. Try it !

7. remember do not use any water or any cleaning solution on alcantara wheel, only use the quick dry foam for alcantara or suede material.

The professional cleaner called SONAX made in germany for bmw, Porsche and mercedes alcantara materials. Only can order online.

This is my personal experience and is not a professional advise. But I did it. It works and the result is very good.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Great links and advice,thank you Matt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope it helps :xyxthumbs
    -Matt

Thread Information