Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    both Paint thinner & WD-40 are fine on cured auto paint

it looks like it just stripped the wax to me

Post Thanks / Like
    As Stoner`s Tarminator is one of my favourite products, and I haven`t had any problems with it "damaging" anything, this thread caught my attention.

While Tarminator claims to be clearcoat safe, it has to be used carefully. It should not be left to drip down the bumper and sit for too long. I once used 9 cans of Tarminator on a white Denali which was literally covered with tar, and it came out great. We didn`t even do any polishing after, just a good wash.

This will likely polish out easily. Give it a try with a light polish and an orbital if you have one.

I know how soft G35 paint is - I wouldn`t be surprised if the 37s were the same.

Out of curiousity, why were you using Tarminator? Did it do what you wanted it to?

I know you`re worried about your beautiful new car, but it`s irresponsible to title a thread as you have without being sure that that`s the case.

I`m happy to offer further suggestions if I can be of help as I am very familiar with this product.
    Jed Bouscal

Mobile Reflections, Calgary

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry dude but I think the damage is permanent. I used that stuff on a newer minivan and left it sit for a couple hours (I honestly forgot about it) and when I came back I washed the car and noticed the same type of marks (only I could almost feel mine).

I tried claying, polishing, etc... Then I picked at it with my finger nail and it was like the paint had become gummy (or soft). It was wierd and my finger nail kind of picked a divet in the softened paint. Thank God that was on a minivan and not on a more expensive car (and it was also not a client`s car).

Try picking at it with your fingernail and see if its really screwed. Sorry to see it, but Tarminator should not be used on automotive finishes IME.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tarminator contains Zylene....it will soften paint if left to long...this is the third car I have seen where it did damage....its a nice product..but its a crap shoot if the paint or plastic trim will get damaged on certain cars..

There was a post here about a year ago were the person sprayed it on a new cars trim...and it stained and softened the plastic..I believe the company paid to have it fixed...

I hope it works out for you and it did not etch the clear...

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can`t feel it, you ought to be able to polish it out if you get right on it.

Personally, bug/tar removers are a last resort of me. I`d prefer to clay or polish off bugs and tar.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    If you can`t feel it, you ought to be able to polish it out if you get right on it.

Personally, bug/tar removers are a last resort of me. I`d prefer to clay or polish off bugs and tar.

Forgive my total newbie & tangential question here, but I have been confused about the whole polishing-off tar process. With clay, when contaminates come off and get stuck in the clay, you manipulate the clay to get to a fresh spot which you then apply to the car. But when you are polishing, I don` t understand what happens to the contaminates that are removed. I keep thinking that the stuff that is removed would embed in my pad and then I`d end up introducing scratches or swirls as I moved along. Is the answer to check your pad after you go over something nasty and pick it clean or what? That still seems risky, especially as some things would be hard to see.

I know lots of polishes promote their ability to remove bugs and tar, but I just don`t follow the logic. The fact that you, Scottwax, endorse the process is enough for me to go forward and try it, as your work is just mind blowingly good. But I still would love to understand why (or how) it works if any one can explain it simply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

^^ yup what he said, those bug/tar remover chemicals can be VERY dangerous. I clay/polish them off all the time works like a charm!

Would a body solvent be the same type product? should I be wary of that as well?

Auto Body Solvent

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a foam pad cleaner that works well with getting the "guts" out and a good soaking after polishing in a good citrus cleaner and scrubbing on the grit guard for good measure its all about clean up after you do that

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly bugs can be clayed off, but tar may have sand stuck in it so be careful claying off tar. I`ve had good luck using Tarminator on rubber off the race track as well as tar on road cars, but I`ve never left it sit on the surface for long.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think I was able to polish it out with my PC and Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax. I put the halogen on it but it just didn`t really show the affected area very clearly. I`m going to take it out in the sun tomorrow and take a look again. I`ll let you guys know. The Tarminator is going in the garbage... I`d rather buy a separate clay bar just for removing bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    cleaner wax is NOT very abrasive it might not have enough bite so dont loose hope
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, like most others have said on here the cleaner wax (as you have seen) will most likely do the work. Post some closer pictures of your progress if you can.
    ~Tyler C.

T.C. Detailing L.L.C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-53
    Tarminator contains Zylene....it will soften paint if left to long...this is the third car I have seen where it did damage....its a nice product..but its a crap shoot if the paint or plastic trim will get damaged on certain cars..

There was a post here about a year ago were the person sprayed it on a new cars trim...and it stained and softened the plastic..I believe the company paid to have it fixed...

AL

Tarminator will definately damage trim. Power polishing doesn`t have an advantage in that regard, however.

Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    Sorry dude but I think the damage is permanent. I used that stuff on a newer minivan and left it sit for a couple hours (I honestly forgot about it) and when I came back I washed the car and noticed the same type of marks (only I could almost feel mine).

Tarminator shouldn`t be left on the paint for more than 30 seconds. I wouldn`t leave glass cleaner on my paint for two days!
    Jed Bouscal

Mobile Reflections, Calgary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DB350Z
    The Tarminator is going in the garbage... I`d rather buy a separate clay bar just for removing bugs.

If you happen to live near the Fremont area, I`ll pick it up from you. I know it`s not exactly an expensive product, but ... well, I`m just cheap I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by docrice
    If you happen to live near the Fremont area, I`ll pick it up from you. I know it`s not exactly an expensive product, but ... well, I`m just cheap I guess.

I`m in San Jose, have anything to trade for?

I don`t know what I was thinking when I wrote Terminator and not Tarminator for the thread title. Anyone know why the forum won`t allow me to edit the main title?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information