Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been thinking of buying a pressure washer for awhile now. I almost bought a karcher K 5.85M from Costco for $229 but decided to think it over. When I went back to costco to buy it, they stopped selling it. Since then I`ve read mixed reviews on the forum about Karchers. I started looking at the Camspray 1500A since it comes highly recommended but it`s a bit expensive.

Well I went to another costco on my way to work and they still carry the Karcher K 5.85M. I hate buying products that will break down after a short while but it`s a lot cheaper and I would only be using it to wash cars (maybe 2 or 3 a week) and maybe some light duty washing of the patio and porch.

Should I just go for the karcher or wait and get the Camspray?

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine is on that thing? If its the honda you are in pretty good company.
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I forgot to meantion it I was looking at Electric Pressure washers. Sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Erhm...

Stay away from the Karcher 5.85M. It`s just like an old Husky Pressure washer I had. The thing has a soap tank that you can fill up, and spray the soap out onto the car - at a low pressure. This low pressure doesn`t help to agitate the soap solution at all, so it`s kinda like pouring a jar of kids` bubble solution over your car and expecting it to wash away the dirt. Yeah, you can get a semi-decent sudsing, but foam guns work SO much better.

And I dunno about the Karcher, but my old Husky would constantly trip the ground fault built into the power cable. I`d wash for about 5 min, then move the pressure washer, and then hear the "click" and loss of power to the washer. So I`d then have to stop, go over and press the reset (making sure that the GPF plug was nowhere near ANY water, or else it`d just trip from a little bit of moisture) and wash again, until it tripped. I discovered pretty quickly that I got a better job out of a garden spray nozzle on my hose and a bucket of soapy water.

If you seriously want a good pressure washer, get one that`s gas powered. You won`t regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure that you want an electric unit? I only ask because the gas powered units are, on average, much better. I think that you would be much happier and better off going the gas route if you can.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsfavson
    Are you sure that you want an electric unit? I only ask because the gas powered units are, on average, much better. I think that you would be much happier and better off going the gas route if you can.

like your name hate your avatar :-)

welcome to autopia :2thumbs:
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Karcher gas powered pressure washer that I got at Lowes probably 7 years ago. The Briggs engine runs fine but the pump is shot. I think the key to pump longevity is not to run the engine when you`re not washing. Shut the engine off, don`t let it idle. I wish I knew that when I bought it. This may be an advantage of the electric units.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    I have a Karcher gas powered pressure washer that I got at Lowes probably 7 years ago. The Briggs engine runs fine but the pump is shot. I think the key to pump longevity is not to run the engine when you`re not washing. Shut the engine off, don`t let it idle. I wish I knew that when I bought it. This may be an advantage of the electric units.

You can probably get a new pump cheaper than a new machine. I have replaced them before its usually as easy as removing/instaling a few bolts. I would do a search on the web for replacement parts for your model.
    :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in a different thread, but it will aply here as well:

PSI is really overrated with PWs. Gallons Per min. (GPM) is better at showing "effective cleaning power". Mine is a 5HP gas w/ 2400PSI and 2.2GPM. It works great and was about $400. I also have the Cam Spray foam cannon.

I wouldn`t buy a cheap one, as they don`t last long. I have had some cheap electrics in the past and they burn up. My gas PW is 5 years old and gets a lot of use. Once you et a PW you will find other uses too. Washing your house siding, driveway, and garage floor.

To answer you question, the cheap one will probably work. Don`t expect it to last long with heavy use. It may not make as foam, or clean as fast(not a big worry, thoug). It will do the job. I just try to point people in the direction the first time. Buying a few cheapies will cost as much (or more) than getting a mid priced PW that will last many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve gone through many electric Karcher and Husky pressure washers. I did a *bunch* of research on PW`s last year, and came to the conclusion that a Honda powered gas pressure washer with the triple piston type pump is one of the best systems you can get. You can find the Honda/triple piston pump pressure washer marketed under many different brand names. My brother was able to find one at Home Depot on sale this weekend for 300 bucks.

After going through many electric PW`s, I find myself wishing i woulda just spent the money on a good gas powered one to start with.

I agree with the GPM being much more important than the PSI. Using a low GPM unit is like trying to rinse your car off with a hand spray bottle.

Here`s an old thread from last year that might help some (I hope).

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...skey+1800+foam

Cam Spray has changed the foam cannon in the link in that thread. Not sure why, and no idea if the new model works as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Super Bee for all of your hard work.

Based on your research I did pick up a Cam Spray electic from TOL and I love it. I am waiting for the foam cannon this week to test out the whole shabang. It was expensive but this thing is the smallest (18 inch) and heaviest portable pressure washer that I have ever used. This thing wieghs in at 60 pounds. Just by the engineering behind this product, it will easily last years

I opted for this instead of a gas because space is limited. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    Thanks Super Bee for all of your hard work.

Based on your research I did pick up a Cam Spray electic from TOL and I love it. I am waiting for the foam cannon this week to test out the whole shabang. It was expensive but this thing is the smallest (18 inch) and heaviest portable pressure washer that I have ever used. This thing wieghs in at 60 pounds. Just by the engineering behind this product, it will easily last years

I opted for this instead of a gas because space is limited. .

Yeah, I really drooled over that Cam Spray electric, but unfortunately I would have had to run a new dedicated 20 amp circuit. No gas or oil to fuss with... yup, that`s going to be a great setup.

I`d love to hear what you think about that new model foam cannon. I`m actually having some problems with my old model right now. It`s just not producing very good foam. Let us know how it works?

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a gas powered Karcher at Costco next to the K 5.85M electric. It runs a Honda Motor, I think it was 3000PSI at 2.5GPM. Only problem is, it`s a bit on the large size and I don`t think I have any place to store this large unit.

I`m still leaning towards the Camspray mainly because of its portability, I have 20amp circuits in my garage but if I bring the unit to my friends place I don`t know if they will have the necessary amperage circuits. thats my only concern.

Edit: The camspray unit listed on everypressurewasher.com website is not that gilmour foam master hose attachment right? I don`t want to pay 80 bucks to get the 30 dollar garden hose version.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the site, part # Cam Spray 527100 - Foamer Attachment.

It looks like it wuld be for a garden hose. The water input on mine is not facing the ground, its straight thru.

*I added the male quick connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTek21

Edit: The camspray unit listed on everypressurewasher.com website is not that gilmour foam master hose attachment right? I don`t want to pay 80 bucks to get the 30 dollar garden hose version.
    I just ordered the cannon from camspray.com ($119.95) after another thread infomed us that they ordered from everypressurewasher.com and recieved the Gilmore foam gun (Garden hose) as a replacement with some adapters for the pressure washer. I did not want to deal with all the hassels, so I spent the extra change and went to the manufacture directly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information