Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Introductions first - I`m brent, i suppose fairly new to the detailing world, keen to learn & as always grateful for any help, tips, advice etc.

I`ve had my Berlina Black / Red Leather S2000 since early Oct & due to crap weather & conditions i`ve not yet been able to give it a good clean/wax etc.

Granted i`ve tried to keep on top of all the winter crap & so far managed to do the following:

Not long after bought - once over with some "Autoglyn Super Resin" & "Ultra Gloss".

Just before Xmas - "Meguirs Wheel Cleaner", "Autoglyn Intensive Tar Remover" & "Autoglyn Super Resin", a wheel brush & tooth brush on the wheels.

Used the "Autoglyn Vinyl & Rubber Care" on my roof a few times now, good but keep getting it all over the paint work as soon as it rains. DOH

Given the Leather some "Meguirs Leather care" stuff just before xmas & i clean the car a "Meguirs Hand Mitt" & "Autoglyn Car shampoo" usually once every 3 wks.

So, although i`ve done a fair bit of searching & reading up on this site & some others, got a bit bamboozled as whats best to do (realistically) to get the best results.

I would obviously like to get the car looking its best, but unfortunately dont have a garage & cant throw hundreds at it to get it done by a pro.

Therefore - could anyone advise whats the best actions to take? On all aspects, exterior, wheels, interior, roof, engine bay etc.

Products
    - ideally off the shelf, but if that much more beneficial can do mail order. Time - Unfortunately stuck to wkends only. Dedication - I do enjoy it & get to know the car better. Equipment - Hands only, unless i can get a cheapish machine. Car - its BLACK !! Some minor stone chips & hair line scratches, 1 kinda deep scratch about 1cm on front right wing, lots & lots of swirls unfortunately, Oh & some black spots/marks that i cant seem to remove from my alloys?

Once again any help much appreciated on all aspects.

Thanks for your time

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located? I have an S2000 and am an avid detailer and if you`re local to me, Id be more than willing to show you the ropes.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to do it by hand, Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose topped with Yellow MooseWax is going to be your best bet. Honda paint is butter soft so you might have semi-decent luck, but don`t expect miracles without a buffer.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    have you read mikeyc`s detailing handbook.. especially made for the s2k?

Post Thanks / Like
    I second mkeyc`s handbook for the S2K

Home

Post Thanks / Like
    hey all, cheers for the replies.

mgproudfit - I`m located near peterborough. That any good?

themightytimmy - Cant say i`ve heard of those products ? Take it they are mail order only?

LanceM & rm1mty - No not come across it? I`ll take a look at the link.

Providing the weather is decent, i was looking to do some of the work this wkend? However at the moment i dont have any products?

Meguirs or Autoglyn are the only 2 that spring to mind that i can get locally, however if its definately worth it i could hold off & get some other stuff?

Whats the general opinions?

Also how much are good polishing machines?

I could borrow: Halfords Car Polisher 240v from Halfords Price Ă‚£29.99 3 For 2 on all Car Cleaning Lines

But as its a cheap one a bit worried about using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    mgproudfit - I`m located near Peterborough, any good?

themightytimmah - Ok how much are these buffers? Also if i was to do by hand, the old terry cloth wax on / wax off approach is best i take it?

Lancem & rm1mty - no i havent, i`ll get on the links now. Are you s2000 owners?

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rm1mty
    I second mkeyc`s handbook for the S2K

Home

Hi guys! Thanks for the recommendation on my website. I always appreciate it.

There are lots of great sources of detailing knowledge (apart from Autopia and my guide of course! ). Be sure to sign up over on S2KI.com and say "hi" in the wash & wax forum. The guys over there know the nooks and crannies of an S2K better than anyone! :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mikeyc,

Read your handbook tonight when got in from work & all i can say is thank you very much, its on the right level & very informative. There`s evidently some serious work thats gone into it & very much appreciated.

I just need to decide on what products i`m going to use & get on with it, fingers crossed for some good weather & bring on the aching arms !!!

Cheers

Brent

P.s. - already a member on SK2I.com, this post is currently running in the UK section. - Evan2 was the member who pointed me here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, lol. Im on the other side of the pond.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not worry about specific products, technique and patients is much more important. Autoglym sell a good range of products which would compare with most products talked about here. The trick is to gain experience and understand their potential & limitations, eg SRP is a very mild polish with some fillers, therefore it will not be great at removing heavy swirl marks but will hide minor swirls

Thread Information