Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never owned a "nice" car... so all my cars were taken to the car wash(if even)So I basically have no experience hand washing cars which is kinda sad. Now I have a new black bmw and I want to avoid swirling/micro scratches/marring. I just want to keep it basic and buy meguiars washing products. Water supply is not a problem.

Heres what I`m about to purchase online

1) Meguiars 64 oz "Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo" (Picked over NXT wash...which is better?)

2) Meguiars Microfiber wash mitt

3) Meguiars 3 square foot "Premium Natural Chamois" drying towel

I need two 5 gallon buckets and a grit guard which I believe walmart will have? What else am I missing? Is it necessary to buy anything for the hose or can I use it nozzle free?

How long can I expect the wash mitt and drying towel to last?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the new ride!

Hope you enjoy many happy miles.

From another Black BMW owner I can only recommend a force shield as the only guaranteed protection, which I believe with be available as an option on the 3008 model year. Until then it sounds like you are on track. :goodjob

I think the answer to your question about how long the equipment will last, will depend on how tempted you are to use it on the black brake dust on your wheels. I calculate the life expectancy of my cleaning gear in nano-seconds once the dust gets on it.
    Veritas Aequitas:think2

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with MF Waffle weave towels instead of a natural chamois.

See you on Saturday - I can give you tons of tips then
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awahl63
    I would go with MF Waffle weave towels instead of a natural chamois.

See you on Saturday - I can give you tons of tips then

Sounds good Andrew. I will wait for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piloti
    Congratulations on the new ride!

Hope you enjoy many happy miles.

From another Black BMW owner I can only recommend a force shield as the only guaranteed protection, which I believe with be available as an option on the 3008 model year. Until then it sounds like you are on track. :goodjob

I think the answer to your question about how long the equipment will last, will depend on how tempted you are to use it on the black brake dust on your wheels. I calculate the life expectancy of my cleaning gear in nano-seconds once the dust gets on it.

Thanks! What is force shield?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just IMO, but some essentials for a marring-free wash:

-High-lubricity, dirt encapsulating shampoo (Griot`s is IMO much better than Gold Class, which didn`t favorably impress me).

-Foamgun, preferably used with a *GOOD* BHB for the initial passes before being used with a very, very soft mitt. The idea I subscribe to is "dislodge and flush". If I do things properly the dirt doesn`t end up in my rinse bucket but is flushed off the vehicle instead. Dirt on the wash medium (which, if you`re lucky, ends up in the rinse bucket) being moved across the paint is a primary cause of wash-induced marring.

-Multiple mitts; there`s always a chance that a single mitt will get contaminated or imperfectly rinsed clean so I like to have a bunch of `em. I switch to a clean one *before* the one I`m using looks contaminated.

-Time and attention; I don`t try to wash entire panels without cleaning out the wash media (well, BHBs used in conjunction with the foamgun can be an exception), so it can take a long time to do wash if I`m attending to the marring-prevention. Whenever I mess up and mar the paint during a wash it seems like it was one of those times when I tried to hurry things along.

-Understanding; knowing *how* the marring happens is IMO essential for preventing it. IMO, most of the time it happens from dirt being pressed against the paint and then being moved under pressure. Little things like the "jiggle the wash medium" technique can make a big difference.

And yeah, WWMFs, or even synthetic products like the Absorber, beat natural chamois hands-down. I`d probably even prefer a (good) cotton towel over a chamois, and yeah, I used good chamois for years before I wised up (last one was a John Bull brand one, very nice as such things go).

Post Thanks / Like
    You don`t need to order that stuff, Walmart will have it. You can get the Gold Class, a Big Blue microfiber (instead of the chamois) and the microfiber mitt (although I prefer wool). I`d do that, work on your technique, and then place an order for some more Autopian stuff when its all gone. Good luck with the new car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone posting here know where to find 2 5 gal. buckets attached and on rollers? I saw this on a Show Car Garage video and would love to purchase a high quality set up such as this (I could do on the quick with a bungee cord and dolly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Just IMO, but some essentials for a marring-free wash:

-High-lubricity, dirt encapsulating shampoo (Griot`s is IMO much better than Gold Class, which didn`t favorably impress me).

-Foamgun, preferably used with a *GOOD* BHB for the initial passes before being used with a very, very soft mitt. The idea I subscribe to is "dislodge and flush". If I do things properly the dirt doesn`t end up in my rinse bucket but is flushed off the vehicle instead. Dirt on the wash medium (which, if you`re lucky, ends up in the rinse bucket) being moved across the paint is a primary cause of wash-induced marring.

-Multiple mitts; there`s always a chance that a single mitt will get contaminated or imperfectly rinsed clean so I like to have a bunch of `em. I switch to a clean one *before* the one I`m using looks contaminated.

-Time and attention; I don`t try to wash entire panels without cleaning out the wash media (well, BHBs used in conjunction with the foamgun can be an exception), so it can take a long time to do wash if I`m attending to the marring-prevention. Whenever I mess up and mar the paint during a wash it seems like it was one of those times when I tried to hurry things along.

-Understanding; knowing *how* the marring happens is IMO essential for preventing it. IMO, most of the time it happens from dirt being pressed against the paint and then being moved under pressure. Little things like the "jiggle the wash medium" technique can make a big difference.

And yeah, WWMFs, or even synthetic products like the Absorber, beat natural chamois hands-down. I`d probably even prefer a (good) cotton towel over a chamois, and yeah, I used good chamois for years before I wised up (last one was a John Bull brand one, very nice as such things go).

How clean can you get a car with a foam gun and just a high pressure nozzle? Obviously it wouldn`t clean as well compared to using a mitt but then you pretty much have zero risk of marring. Although, I guess you could run into problems drying if any dirt is left on the car. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geomar George
    Does anyone posting here know where to find 2 5 gal. buckets attached and on rollers? I saw this on a Show Car Garage video and would love to purchase a high quality set up such as this (I could do on the quick with a bungee cord and dolly).

Car Detailing Bucket with Grit Guard and Dolly Creeper

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw06330i
    How clean can you get a car with a foam gun and just a high pressure nozzle? Obviously it wouldn`t clean as well compared to using a mitt but then you pretty much have zero risk of marring. Although, I guess you could run into problems drying if any dirt is left on the car. Just curious.

read what he said again

it`s not just a foam gun, it is used with a BHB then several mitts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    read what he said again

it`s not just a foam gun, it is used with a BHB then several mitts

Yes I know. I know his method is great...I was just wondering how a foam gun and a high pressure nozzle would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw06330i

I can`t get things properly clean without some mechanical agitation and yeah, residual dirt will cause marring once you go to dry. FWIW, I have boosted/very good water pressure, but OTOH it`s nothing like a pressure washer.

Even using *just* the BHBs isn`t sufficient, I have to use the mitts (which aren`t as gentle) to get things really clean. And even then I have to use Sonus green clay now and then to *truly* clean my LSP. When I wash gently enough that I don`t mar, I leave a *little* bit of dirt film behind and eventually this needs cleaned off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geomar George

George: Colker Company - Online Shopping
    Cars: bringing people together

Thread Information