Post Thanks / Like
    Ok -- I`ve decided on the UDM.

There is one on auto-geek for 129$, and one on autopia (refurb) for $99.

Here are the links:

(Autopia UDM)

Refurbished Car Polisher & Auto Buffer - The Ultimate Detailing Machine

(AutoGeek UDM)

The Ultimate Detailing Machine dual action polisher: Foam buffing pads: swirl removers; buffer

Price is cheaper on autopia, looks as if they both come with same accessories, backplate/tool/book/one pad? -- Either one going to be fine?

Ok on to pad selection:

I`ve read that you don`t want one pad of any kind, because you don`t want to have to clean while doing a full car. At least two so you can swap out mid way if you have to. Given this, I figure I need 2 pads of each type. -- So a kit of somesort makes the most sense monetarily.

Given that, I am not partial to any brand pad, just what works. So I am going to provide some links,.. you guys point me to the best `kit` or selection so I can get plenty of pads for the best price please.

(Autopia Pad Page)

Car polish, swirl remover, scratch remover - Meguiars, Sonus, Ultimate

(Autogeek Pad area/general)

Car Buffers, Car Polishers, Rotary Polishers, polishing foam pads, buffing pads, wool pad, Porter Cable 7424, Makita, DeWalt, Cyclo buffer, bonnet,

Ok, finally I need Polishes and Glazes(s). Keep in mind I have wax, qiuck detailor, all interior products, all tire/rubber products/glass products and so on. I just need the products I will use with the UDM.

This is where I need the most help aside from find the right and enough pads for the right price.

Some some merneza? Some say a million other things. Here are some general links to Product areas on Autopia and Autogeek --

Point me to the best `overall` kit or even multi links to individual product selection that will be all I need polish and glaze wise. (To be honest I don`t really know what a glaze is used for .. but I`m sure I`ll need it).

(Autopia Polishes)

Car polish, swirl remover, scratch remover - Meguiars, Sonus, Ultimate

(Autogeek Exterior Care main page (page that leads into polishes/glazes) )

Exterior Car Care: Follow the 3 steps of proper vehicle maintenance - Clean, Polish & Protect! car wax, polish, paint sealant, souveran, deep gloss,

I`m really trying here -- I want to order badly,.. but piecing it together without getting unnecessary products or missing products is something I`m working on.

So basically I need a good pad kit that won`t leave me hanging mid way through a job without a spare - -and a good product selection (Only for the machine, I don`t need other car care products, I have them).

Thanks so much. As soon as I get a full answer to figure this out I`ll order and will be done asking these (what should I buy questions, I promise)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get these: Orange Low Profile 5.5 Inch Pad 6 Pack CLOSE OUT 5.5" pads are great for cutting and having at least 6 of them will same you a ton of time cleaning. You will need a 5" backing plate for these pads though. I`d also get 4-5 white CCS 6.5" LC pads to use with a finishing polish or AIO. You might want some LC 6.5" grey or blue pads for applying LSP`s (waxes/sealants/glazes). As for polishes, I have Menzerna`s Intesive polish and Nano Polish and love that combo. But if I were you I`d get the Super Intensive Polish as your cutting polish, instead of the regular IP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prima and Menzerna polishes are my personal favourites.

Can`t go wrong with them
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so get 6 Orange pads.. (the 5" backing plate is standard on the UDM, no?) -- 5 white 6.5" pads, a couple 6.5" grey and blue pads. So 15 pads? I guess I need to know which pads are the ones I will be wanting to swap out often, and which pads are the ones that I can get buy with say 1 or 2 on a job. That will help in how many to buy.

IE: on wax/sealant application using the grey or blue (can use either I assume) -- can I apply with just one pad? I would think so.

Though on removal, how long will a pad go before switching out?

On to polishes/glazes.

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish for cutting, and Nano polish for finishing?

Or..

Go with Prima brand, or Menzerna brand and pick my polishes?

Any kits that include a X step polish regimine in them from these companies?

What glaze do I need.. and do I even need a glaze?

Lastly,.. where on gods green earth do I find Prima and Mernzerna product listings? I find one or two offerings on like one website -- But there has to be a good product listing and package deals on them somewhere.. website?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get the 5" CCS pads from Danase. 2-3 orange, 2-3 white, 1 gray, 1 blue.

Then grab some IP/FPII or SIP/106

Remove products by hand with MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofate
    Ok so get 6 Orange pads.. (the 5" backing plate is standard on the UDM, no?) -- 5 white 6.5" pads, a couple 6.5" grey and blue pads. So 15 pads? I guess I need to know which pads are the ones I will be wanting to swap out often, and which pads are the ones that I can get buy with say 1 or 2 on a job. That will help in how many to buy.

IE: on wax/sealant application using the grey or blue (can use either I assume) -- can I apply with just one pad? I would think so.

Though on removal, how long will a pad go before switching out?

On to polishes/glazes.

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish for cutting, and Nano polish for finishing?

Or..

Go with Prima brand, or Menzerna brand and pick my polishes?

Any kits that include a X step polish regimine in them from these companies?

What glaze do I need.. and do I even need a glaze?

Lastly,.. where on gods green earth do I find Prima and Mernzerna product listings? I find one or two offerings on like one website -- But there has to be a good product listing and package deals on them somewhere.. website?

Thanks.

Well when I`m detailing, I usually have to swap out the orange pads the most because it can sometimes take multiple passes in really bad areas. They will get caked up with product after awhile, so you will be glad you have 6. Plus they are dirt cheap at Autogeek (6 for $15!). The 5" size is great because I get more cut with it than the 6.5" oranges, so it takes fewer passes. 5 White pads will be plenty. Usually when I`m using the Nano after the IP, it only takes one pass per area to clean it up and I can sometimes get by with only 2 pads for the whole car. Just make sure you don`t use too much polish.

You will only need one pad to apply a wax/sealant, and blue or grey will work equally well. Since you said you`d be getting about 4 of these, you should designate each pad to its own LSP. Keeps them from mixing. You should also do that with your polishing pads. As for removing these products you will have to do it by hand with a MF, or get a MF bonnet to put over your pad.

As for what polish you use, I don`t have experience with many of them, but IP and Nano have worked well for me. Just get whatever you think will best suit your needs. Doesn`t have to be Menzerna. That`s just my personal favorite.

Menzerna`s product listing is here: Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish, menzerna compound,

Their kits are mostly one Wolfgang polish and one Menz polish, and I`m not familiar with Wolfgang. Maybe someone else can chime in on that brand. There are a few kits, though, towards the bottom. Those intro kit would be fine, I assume.

And glazes are a personal preference thing. Do you want a glaze that will fill in light imperfections, or a pure gloss enhancer? Some glazes have lots of oils and sealants typically don`t bond well to those. But some (Danase Wet Glaze) are acrylic polymers that bond to the paint. Sealants usually work well with these. Danase Wet Glaze is amazing, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info -- thanks guys.

I have a guy trying to work me a deal with pads/udm/products tomorrow morning, he apparently is a vendor. We`ll see what he comes up with.

Ok, I didn`t know I`d be removing the LSP by hand,.. but I suppose that would be a heck of alot faster

I always tend to think the DA`s are about speed -- but I`ve never polished a car, so it is really going to be slower. It take hours to polish from what I`ve watched,.. slowly working it in. (Fine with me, just I had the wrong idea on what I was getting into initially).

For wax application, I`ll be using NXT 2.0 -- Does the UDM at least make the application alot faster? Or no? heh. Does using a UDM with something like NXT `work` it in better in any way.. or is it basically the same result as by hand, using the UDM just makes it, faster and easier to apply?

I guess I need a better definition of what glaze really is, and what its used for to determine if I need one.

The gloss you mentioned sounds good .. at what step does that get applied?

Also with that gloss.. it sounds like it works like NXT does, in that it bonds -- So would that go on before NXT 2.0? Would they both still bond , or would one interfere with the bonding of the other?

As for imperfections -- they exist, of course. When I take a look at the car in good light I can see swirls and such. So it make me think polished it will make the shine/depth just immensely greater. Everyone says the car looks fantastic as is .. (Done by hand, clay bar, wash, wax/sealant) -- But the polish step(s) before hand should really change that final effect right?

I`d hate to put forth all this money and effort and not be able to tell a difference in the final result!

Lesse what else -- Oh yeah,.. on polishes that is where I`m shaky I guess.

What is the general consensus here? Get two polishes? A good cutting, and then a fine finishing type polish? Sort of a two step system?

Get one polish ? Then go with the gloss/sealant/wax?

Go with a 3 step system? I don`t mind the effort/time on more steps, if they are worth the effort.

Keep in mind the car is a champagne color so looks silver in the daytime, and a slight beige tint at night under low lighting. Imagine that and how things show and don`t show, shine an so forth. (it is a flake paint, you can see the flakes in the in paint).

Also, the car is a 1994 Lexus LS 400 -- So the paint isn`t new. Though it has been garage kept the whole time, so it looks phenominal for the years.. like it has 50-60k on it, imo.

I mention that last part because of paint `thickness` -- should I worry about removing paint layers? wearing through the paint because of its age? (Maybe use a less aggressive polish, or ? )

Also, given the color would that help on polish and other product selections? Or does it not matter the color?

Again, great info,.. keep it coming! I appreciate it sincerely..

Thread Information