Post Thanks / Like
    Any reason you couldn`t use a $5, 40 LB bag of water softener salt to soften water?

This may sound silly, but all those $100+ contraptions with "rezin cartridges" have some form of water softener salt, so why not get an empty $20 cartridge and fill it yourself forever with a $5 bag of salt from Home Depot? Besides salt being corrosive on exposed metal and causing rust on some of the under carriage, is this doable?

Post Thanks / Like
    The salt is not what makes the water soft. The resins capture the minerals in the water.

When the resin beads are fully coated with the minerals they have removed from the water a salt water rinse cleans them. This salt water rinse goes down the drain, it is not the water you use.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a misunderstanding of how water softeners work. As stated by Gears, the salt does not directly soften the water. Salt is used to regenerate water softeners. The salt creates a brine, which flushes the resin bed in the water softener to restore the univalent sodium ions. The sodium does an ion exchange with the hardness metals (calcium, magnesium, etc), so basically the hardness metals are replaced with sodium.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently put in a whole house water softener system. For those with very hard water, it can really extend the life of appliances (frigs, hot water heaters, etc) and everything cleans better with less detergents. I noticed a lot less staining.

There are a lot of negative noise (mostly FUD) on the Internet (where the regenerate goes in septic tank systems, etc). I will switch to KCl when I have to refill the salt bucket. The key difference is that some systems are a lot more efficient (two tank systems) than others so this is one major factor.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    true what gears explains.. i work at Kinetico where we manufacture non electric twin tank water softeners.

dirt diggler

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW you would have water spots form hell if you

added salt to your water

Post Thanks / Like
    We are on city water which is exceptionally clean in our area. However, I use a whole house filter. I use a carbon based cartridge rather than the stock fiber filter. I get great flow and results from it. Had it installed parts and all for about $60. Took the plumber about ten minutes. Replacing the filter is easy and only needs to be done if flow drops off at the outlets (sink, hose, etc). We replace our cartridge two to three times a year. No crap building up in the faucet screens, no toilet or shower stains, nice clean water heater, nice clean and fully functional dishwasher ports, same with our clotes washer.

Considering the initial and yearly costs, there just isn`t any reason that most everyone shouldn`t do this.
    Good driving and good listening!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys, I ordered a small kit from Garden Hose Filters that should last a while. Hey KnuckleBuckett how can I set up a carbon filter for the house for $60? What parts are needed and where can I go for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got 2 whole house filters (1 carbon, 1 paper) and a softener coming off my well in my house. The water is so ridiculously soft and clear!

The whole house filters are pretty easy to install. Most can do it in an hour or so with a little plumbing knowledge. Everything you need can be had at lowes. You will need the filter housing and grab a few filters. The rest will just be a few fittings to adapt to your plumbing. Just ask the guys in plumbing, they`ll get you setup. I prefer carbon if you`re only going with one filter as it makes the water taste better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_O
    Thanks for the input guys, I ordered a small kit from Garden Hose Filters that should last a while. Hey KnuckleBuckett how can I set up a carbon filter for the house for $60? What parts are needed and where can I go for this?
    how is that kit working out for you? can you buy the filter at HD or Lowes instead of online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleBuckett
    We are on city water which is exceptionally clean in our area. However, I use a whole house filter. I use a carbon based cartridge rather than the stock fiber filter. I get great flow and results from it. Had it installed parts and all for about $60. Took the plumber about ten minutes. Replacing the filter is easy and only needs to be done if flow drops off at the outlets (sink, hose, etc). We replace our cartridge two to three times a year. No crap building up in the faucet screens, no toilet or shower stains, nice clean water heater, nice clean and fully functional dishwasher ports, same with our clotes washer.

Considering the initial and yearly costs, there just isn`t any reason that most everyone shouldn`t do this.

WOW all for $60 dollars! I am a licensed plumber and charge $110 an hour. 10 mins huh? I guess in certain parts of the country im cheap too.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RDAVEX7
    WOW all for $60 dollars! I am a licensed plumber and charge $110 an hour. 10 mins huh? I guess in certain parts of the country im cheap too.

Wow.

That is what I was charged. August 2003. Filter is an Omni whole house. I watched him install it. Twenty minutes would be an exageration. Thus more like ten. Install fittings/PTFE tape into sides of filter housing, measure, 2 cuts, insert, solder x 2, test for leaks. That was it as far as I remember.
    Good driving and good listening!!

Thread Information