Post Thanks / Like
    i am starting a newsletter on my detailing business` website. I want to include a detailing tip every week. But I am at a bit of a loss for ideas for things that will be easy enough to explain so the readers can understand, but difficult enough for the subscribers to not know before hand. Anyone have any ideas?
    Owner of Between The Lines Detailing in Baltimore Maryland

Post Thanks / Like
    I would begin with a newsletter on proper washing and drying techniques, explaing how car washed wreck your cars finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if I were doing this I would keep it short and simple, no dissertations for the average DIY. Topic`s off the top of my head:

1) Why it`s important to use a quality car wash vs dish detergent

2) Choosing a car wash medium: wool, MF, sponge

3) Explain proper use of brushes: wheels and wheel wells OK - not for paint use

4) Benefits of rinseless washes

5) When to clay

6) How to clay

7) Grades of clay

8) What are swirls and how they are most likely induced

9) Dispel myth that new cars with cc don`t need waxing

10) Explain what a cleaner wax is and why if that is all they use they will have poor durability

11) Recommend use of OCW or Aquawax if their schedules do not permit time to properly prep and seal

12)Provide tips for cleaning halogens

13) Provide info about this site where they can learn more than they ever thought possible

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mosborn9
    Well if I were doing this I would keep it short and simple, no dissertations for the average DIY. Topic`s off the top of my head:

1) Why it`s important to use a quality car wash vs dish detergent

2) Choosing a car wash medium: wool, MF, sponge

3) Explain proper use of brushes: wheels and wheel wells OK - not for paint use

4) Benefits of rinseless washes

5) When to clay

6) How to clay

7) Grades of clay

8) What are swirls and how they are most likely induced

9) Dispel myth that new cars with cc don`t need waxing

10) Explain what a cleaner wax is and why if that is all they use they will have poor durability

11) Recommend use of OCW or Aquawax if their schedules do not permit time to properly prep and seal

12)Provide tips for cleaning halogens

13) Provide info about this site where they can learn more than they ever thought possible

Very good post :thx . That will give me a few months worth of topics to cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with above post^^. No need to get extremely detailed, I`d stick mostly with the wash process and how swirls are induced. I don`t think I`d put anything up there for removing swirls, because if they want to do that then they need to spend a few hours on here. A tip from your site isn`t going to teach them how to polish out the swirls, so put a tip about something they can easily do themselves, like washing or claying or dressing wheels/trim, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    My overall goal is to give my customers (and future customers) a sense of security. That I do know what I`m doing and I`m not going to mess up their car. I don`t want them to get the feeling that they can fix anything themselves, that would put me out of business, its a thin line to walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed a thin line.

Keep the tips vague, but useful as well. As has been said, keep them simple.

People don`t know that much about car care in general. I bet 80% don`t know what a rinseless wash product is.

Also don`t worry about putting yourself out of business,.. people are always going to use detailers because they either A) Don`t know what to do. Don`t have the very expensive (it adds up) equipment/products to do what needs to be done. and C) More commonly, don`t have the time or are too lazy to do it themselves.

There is always this D) Don`t have the experience to do it right due to the former 3 choices.

If you put in a tip that is a little more advanced, I think it will help people know that you know what you are doing, and if someone is truly trying to figure it out they will send you an email, or ask you personally.

There are people who use a detailer and then are converted into self-professionals so to speak.. But this is a rare breed. Those on this web site don`t represent the general population.. not by a long shot

Post Thanks / Like
    There will always be a need for a quality craftsman. As a plumber I see all kinds of diy jobs gone bad and they end up calling me anyways to fix it. I have learned not to devulge to much information about how I am going to fix things either because alot of people will cancel and try it themselves because I basicly told them how to do it. This usually happens on small repairs and such.

I have magnets that look like my van that I hand out to customers and I see them still on the fridge when I do repeat bussines. I like to do my own detail work because to me its fun and relaxing. Its my way of getting away I guess, but when I go to a car show I call the the pro`s to get the car near flawless.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to post up issue one for critique.

Between The Lines Detailing Newsletter Issue 1

Thread Information