Post Thanks / Like
    So my only vacuum I have is a little 12v cheapo from Wal-Mart that rocks for the occasional piece or dirt, but its worthless for much more than that. So I think I need to pick up a Shop Vac, but I don`t know how powerful of one I need.

I kinda want to keep it around the $50 range, maybe up to $70 if it`ll really be worth it. I`ve looked around Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot ect and I`ve found a few different ones ranging from 2.0hp to 4.0hp. My question is really how powerful does a shop vac need to be? Will a 2hp be enough for most jobs or should I go for a 3hp or 4hp Shop Vac? I`m not foreseeing a huge amount of horrible carpets in my future, but I might also grab a Little Green Machine if that`ll make any difference in recommending a vac.

So what do you guys have?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rigid brand vacs that Home Depot sells are very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    `I\`ve had the 16 gallon ridgid for about 10 years, and its great. If I was buying a new one though, I\`d spend less on size and more on hose. The standard fat hose wears me out doing both cars. I\`m going to pick up either a longer thinner one, or the extra flexibe one.`

Post Thanks / Like
    i just bought one from lowes for $30 2.5hp had a chance to use it yesterday and it surprised me alot for being so compact.

good for the occasional detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely LOVE the one I have. It`s big enough for household jobs and can be detached for detailing work. The blower is definitely handy when removing water from engine bays and door jambs.

I got mine from Lowes about a year ago and its great.

Shop-VacĂ‚® :: Vacs

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably more money than you want to spend, but the Rigid 4050 is compact and powerful. I have a powerful Rigid that I picked up a year ago Christmas from Home Depot for the blow out price of $27. But it is a conventional drum on wheels style, which I find hard to schlep up and down stairs. I`m thinking it will live in the basement shop, and I`m going to get a smaller vac--like the Rigid 4050--for the car and outdoors.

If you get something small and handy, let us know how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    ridged all the way

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Ridgid W1450 and love it. Use it in the car, woodworking and home remodeling.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a craftsman 4 gallon. I got it on sale for $40 and it does everything I need it to.

Craftsman Clean N CarryĂ‚® 4 gal. Wet-Dry Vac, 5.0 Peak hp - Model 17776 at Sears.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same craftsmen. With a capacity of 4 gallons and 5 HP, its the perfect size and horsepower in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had recently bought a rigid from homedepot. Mostly for car cleaning but also for odd tasks around the house.

12 gallon 5HP, I used it to clean a Jeep recently and I was extremely happy with its pickup capabilities. It also comes with the angled car attachment.

RIDGID 12 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac - WD1246 at The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...12e93d_300.jpg

I have this vac. I had a bought it in an emercency when this one

had blown out on me. Surprisingly, despite its 2.5hp deficit compared to the other one, it picks up everything better than my old one. I`m also using it with a claw attachment whcih has made the world of difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 5IVE
    I absolutely LOVE the one I have. It`s big enough for household jobs and can be detached for detailing work. The blower is definitely handy when removing water from engine bays and door jambs.

I got mine from Lowes about a year ago and its great.

Shop-VacĂ‚® :: Vacs

That one or the one of equal hp/size made by rigid... I have the blue one above and it works great. Has plenty of power...

Post Thanks / Like
    `I have this Craftsman 6.5hp with a detachable 265mph blower for drying. Attachments work really well\r\n\r\nCraftsman 16-gal 6.5-peak hp Wet/Dry Vac with Detachable 265 mph Blower - Model 17066 at Sears.com\r\n\r\n`

Thread Information