Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I washed, polished and waxed the car this past weekend. So next time after I do my car wash, do I just wax it? When do I need to polish it again?

Thank you.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    You really only need to polish when necessary. Typically, I recommend a full exterior detail twice a year (spring & fall). Between that, just wax/seal it. A couple of great products to look into for you would be Optimum Car Wax or Duragloss AquaWax. Both are spray on wipe off type of products that produce a nice shine and good protection. You could do this once a month, or even after each wash if you really wanted to.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Mike. How would you compare Optimum Car Wax applied by hand vs 1Z Glanz Wax applied by PC + blue pad?

Thank you.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you really only need to polish when needed. However, I did not see you mention claying it. IMO claying the vehicle is often overlooked and should be done when needed as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Danase,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that I clayed the car, too...

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned that you only need to do an annual polish. In between wax, you can use a QD to make it look good after drying!
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYenS
    Thank you, Mike. How would you compare Optimum Car Wax applied by hand vs 1Z Glanz Wax applied by PC + blue pad?

Thank you.

John

No problem. I`m not familiar with 1Z. I assume it`s a liquid wax though. Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax so application is definitely different. Maybe some one else can chime in on the 1Z stuff.

And as Danase pointed out, claying is very important. That is part of my semi-annual detailing ritual for my personal vehicles.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    1Z Glanz via PC and blue pad is fine but probably only necessary about every 2 months or so. Glanz should be applied very thin for best look. Don`t overapply it as I`ve encountered streaking with it when applied too heavily.

As previously alluded to, a spray wax type QD is much easier to do especially if you`re doing it after say every 2nd or 3rd wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    waxing each wash is ok, but definitely avoid polishing / claying each time.

With waxes I have found that the end results are pretty close between products if you have done your prep work equally. Most of the results that look way different were because the person spent more time on the prep.

I used to be a big advocate against machines, but using the PC and quality pads have changed my ways. The end results aren`t different IMHO, but with a PC you get there MILES ahead and aren`t exhausted.

Thread Information