Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Wondering if wet sandpaper sheets will works if going with grain during sanding followed by Flitz polish.

shown here:

18 Sheets of Wet-Dry Sandpaper; Your Choice Of 14 Grits - eBay (item 330212435854 end time Feb-18-08 09:51:57 PST)

I was thinking about starting at 320 and working up to 1200. I`ve polished alluminim many times using sheets of paper, will this work for SS?

the side pipes (have two sets):

they used to be polished, just the road has had its tole on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t personally tried actual wetsanding, but #0000 steel wool would probably do the job. I use that on polished stainless all the time with excellent results. Just do a test spot in an inconspicuous location first to make sure it doesn`t overly scratch the surface.
    Jonathan Edwards

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Newport Beach, La Jolla, Montecito

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use steel wool as stated .But that is a sweet ride !!!!
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    need this sandpaper to fix knicks on my cylinder head anyways, so thought i use it for this too. Why does steel wool work better than fine grain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, used the steel wool myself on my tips and worked like a champ.
    Club FLEX X 2

Post Thanks / Like
    any particular type of steel wool best for polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    #0000 steel wool brand wont matter.
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this thread: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...t=Exhaust+tips maybe it will be of some help.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    I myself just use the medium steel wool that come`s in a variety pack of 16 at lowes. I use it on my valve head and intake manifold plenum and it came out great. They also have super fine(0000) at lowes too.
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow
    Check out this thread: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...t=Exhaust+tips maybe it will be of some help.
    I actually searched and saw that thread, but it mainly deals with powered buffing, and im doing hand sanding and polishing

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use the 0000 steel wool with oil to clean the gunk(mostly tar) off the megs on my Marauder then hand polish with Blue Magic and they would turn out pretty good. Then I discovered a better way, first I spray down the megs with Rain X tar and bug remover gel, let it dwell for 30 minutes then wipe it off, then I use rechargable drill with a 3" white polishing pad and go to it with the BM and it works great. The polish breaks down better and I get an amazing Shine. It looks like your working in close Quarters and would be best if you could drop the pipes for better access to work. You won`t have to do this every time!! I did mine last October and since then with my wash routine, I spray with RX, let it dwell, wipe off, rewax, and they still look great after a Michigan winter. I see it as polishing your paint-it doesnt need the full treatment after every wash. I picked up RX at PEP Boys in the bargain bin for $3.00.

GOOD LUCK:spot

PS- Magnaflow didn`t use sandpaper or steel wool to achieve the finish on that exhaust when you received it-it was POLISHED!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all the above, 0000 wool, you can get some at Lowes. I`ve actually sanded some with 2000 grit and it leaves little hologram looking trailers everywhere, not a good clean way to brighten them up....:grinno:
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack the thread but if you have some dings from rocks on your tip can you sand them off and polish it back? I have a few on my exhaust tip and I`d like to get rid of them. Just curious.

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTek21
    Not to hijack the thread but if you have some dings from rocks on your tip can you sand them off and polish it back? I have a few on my exhaust tip and I`d like to get rid of them. Just curious.

Yup, but just like paint correction use the least agressive method first. Wet and drysandpaper with a backer, a cheap eraser works, soak your wet and dry paper overnight, use a spray bottle with water and a little soap to keep it lubed. If you know someone who is a tool maker or mold maker he could get the dings(above the surface)out with a file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information