Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So I went out on my first attempt at a rotary on my beater today.

Edge blue pad using sonus SFX-2. Well first of all I left buffer trails everywhere easily taken out by my PC. But other than the lack of practice I`ve got one big problem.

My pad is always trying to walk away from me like it`s hanging up and dry. So I tried using a bit more product and that seemed to help but the problem was still there and I didn`t feel comfortable using anymore. I`ve got an older buffer that has a variable trigger so I suspect I spread product at about 600RPM, polished at 1100 to 1200 and finished at about 750-800rpm...

Any help?
    2008 Nissan Titan, 2005 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Accord Wagon, 1992 Honda Accord Wagon, 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

:waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    It sound like youre not holding the pad perpendicular to the paint if its walking. If you tilt the rotary left, right, or back and forth, the pad will actually pull you in that direction.
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
    It sound like youre not holding the pad perpendicular to the paint if its walking. If you tilt the rotary left, right, or back and forth, the pad will actually pull you in that direction.

I agree ... also maybe try wool, I find they walk/pull less and glide more than foam with the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few questions...

How are you holding the buffer?

Are you buffing with the pad flat on the panel?

What size pads are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure the pad is completely flat while polishing. Don`t put any weight on it, either.

Meguiars has an open garage series of videos on youtube. I recall one of them is a "how-to" for rotary use and will be very helpful to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping the pads flat and using light to moderate pressure works for me. In addition, don`t move the rotary too fast.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that it is probably your technique. I am relatively new with the rotary, and I started out a little rough as well, but am now pretty comfortable. My guess is you were pretty uptight and stiff since this was your first attempt - I was too. Remember to hit the foam pad with a couple of squirts of quick detailer to moisten it a bit. Spread the product around at about 600 (sounds like you did). Keep the pad flat. Guide the rotary, don`t fight it. Use slight pressure on your first couple of passes, then use no pressure for the final few passes. Remember to stay loose and breathe. You will have to experiment, but don`t move the buffer too slowly, or too quickly.

Go to youtube, and searh for the Meguiar`s 5 part series on wetsanding and rotary usage. Mike Pennington uses the rotary in this series, and there is some good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably my biggest problem is that I don`t have any horizontal surfaces to polish and get the hang of it on. The hood and roof have the notorious clear coat flaking that just about every accord of that era has if not taken care of properly. And I don`t feel like risking any of the other cars.

I`m starting out of a vertical surface and it has a body line that tilts inwards of the car about 10 degrees, that`s where most of my walking occurred and now it makes sense. I guess I`ll go get some junk panels I can lay flat and get the technique.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Oh, edge 6" double sided pads on my archaic mac tools buffer.
    2008 Nissan Titan, 2005 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Accord Wagon, 1992 Honda Accord Wagon, 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    The Edge 6inch pads dont have a nice curved edge of the pad so they are notorious to hologramming the paint and struggle to sit flat. If you have the pad at a 1 degree angle the sharp edge will dig in and push the buffer around.

The 6inch edge pads are for PC machines only IMO.

The Meguiars 6inch pads are quite good as they are curved on the edge so sit flat and can move around smoothly. The harder cutting foam pads are also difficult to use as the edges of the pad are more likely to grip the surface and produce holograms and make it difficult to use. Wool pads are best in this regard as they have a very soft texture and outer edge so they sit flat and smooth.

The Meguiars Solo pads are without a doubt the best pads on the market. They have 4 different strength pads two wool and two foam pads. For cutting the wool is definitely the best material to use, they generate less heat also. The polishing and finnishing pads are foam, as they are much softer and finer than the cutting pads they also sit smoothly on the surface. Being only 7inch in diameter they are very good for beginners. Much better than the 8inch pads used with other brands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something else to add... You mentioned using more product, it works at first because the product is acting like a "lube" but as it breaks down it will begin to grab. Don`t forget to clean the pad out, I find this reduces the "stickiness" of foam.

+1miiillleeeeon for keeping the rotary flat.

Ever work a floor buffer before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TTWAGN
    The Edge 6inch pads dont have a nice curved edge of the pad so they are notorious to hologramming the paint and struggle to sit flat. If you have the pad at a 1 degree angle the sharp edge will dig in and push the buffer around.

The 6inch edge pads are for PC machines only IMO..

Ah...thanks for posting that...I never heard/noticed it before and that info is worth knowing.

Post Thanks / Like
    to add to what everyone has posted, try horizontal panels first. This will help in your technique and confidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. Nope never had the pleasure of having to buff a floor

Yeah, maybe I didn`t make the right purchase of jumping on a set of edge pads for sale... Well, I`ll keep on trying!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem with the Edge 8 inch pads. People on here dog em, but they work fine for me. Maybe you should give them a shot. Dont think that you suck because your first try wasnt perfect though. Just keep trying man, you`ll get the hang of it.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Like they said, I don`t think it`s the pad`s size or brand I think it`s because I got the square edged ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information