Post Thanks / Like
    quick question guys. what should i do????

i just did a complete ext detail last week. claybar, two step menzerna, klasse and carnuba.

well, on the first weekly wash, i guess my towel had some stuff on it and when i was drying the hood, made some scratches on there (not fingernail deep, but directional swirl scratches).

now, should i spot treat? or re-do the entire hood???? (i`m going to do the whole process again: wash, clay, two step polish, klasse and carnuba)

other than that, every other panel is :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    How bad is it?? How much of the hood is swirled???

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you need to clay it again?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d plan on doing a spot repair, but you won`t know for sure if that`ll be OK until after you do the correction.

When my one BHB turned into a scratch machine [Insert reminder to retest wash/dry media regularly] it left isolated marring on the S8. I just did spot-repairs for most of it and it turned out fine.

If you have a *lot* of marring on one panel (I had ~10 places on the hood) I`d redo the whole panel with a paint cleaner/finishing polish after you get the marring corrected. IMO it`ll make for a more uniform look after you redo the LSP. But on the S8, the hood was the only panel I did this on, the other spots blended in just fine. Just gotta see what happens as/after you do the required correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would Meg ScratchX be an alternative here? Not sure but it might save you some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jswift2000
    Would Meg ScratchX be an alternative here? Not sure but it might save you some time.

No, it will just fill in and not remove the damage, then it will be back in another two weeks...

Just spot correct it, no need to reclay or redo the whole hood.
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    we are talking about a microfiber towel here right? Are you sure the marring is even in the clear or paint and not just in the wax or sealant itself? Having just done it there should still be a good layer of protection there. In which case I would simply just "buff" in more product of whatever the last thing you put on there was. Sure it`ll fill it in but it`s filling in it`s own product so it should be a non issue. There really shouldn`t be any need to redo the enitre panel over spot marring. especially so soon after having just done it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, Megs Scratch-X would be a great product to use. I usee it all the time on mild swirls and scratches, it does a great job for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies guys! much appreciated....

i dunno, i figured claying since i drove it through some dusty roads and such...

but if not need be, then won`t....

Post Thanks / Like
    chbak014- Nah, I`d be pretty surprised if anything bonded enough to require claying.

jswift2000 & BlueLibby04- Scratch-X works a lot better/easier on some paints than on others...I sure wouldn`t want to use it on the Audis! Might be just the thing for softer clears though. I had enough trouble fixing the S8`s marring with the rotary and 3M 05933, and that was from merely a few coarse BHB bristles that`d lost their flagging!

Jakerooni- I dunno.. perhaps, but not likely IMO. I can only recall *one* time (in over 30 years of detailing) that the marring was only in the LSP. He said the marring came from stuff in the MF, so I bet he won`t be that lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    accumulator- You may be right but what is the golden rule of detailing Always start with the least abrasive method first and then work your way down. At the very very least he should try it and see.

But that brings up another point. If the MF is contaminated toss it in the garbage. no need to keep repeating the mistake. I toss probably a good 20 or so MF towels away a week because of contamination. Don`t be afraid to get rid of a defective product it`ll save you alot of headaches in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    accumulator- You may be right but what is the golden rule of detailing Always start with the least abrasive method first and then work your way down. At the very very least he should try it and see..

Eh...guess I can`t really argue with that. Heh heh, guess it`s easy for me to play fast and loose with somebody else`s clearcoat

*I* can tell if something`s gonna require *real* correction, but I shoulda put myself in *his* shoes, huh?

Thread Information