Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly I apologize that the picture is not of higher quality. I took it with my camera phone.

I was cleaning my windows yesterday since they were filthy and these `spots` wouldn`t go away. There`s a rather tight grouping of them on the drivers side near the fresh air cowling.

I thought maybe it was tree sap, so I tried some goo gone to no avail. I cannot feel the spots with my fingers either.

It could be water spots? But usually with those in my past experience is you don`t see them so easily? In the past if I had water spots on my window I would mostly only notice them if I was passing a damp towel (or a MF with Stoners Invisible Glass) over the spots.. which would bring them out until the water or SIG evaporated off.

These do not exhibit that. They did not budge with Goo Gone, Stoners Invisible glass which is the extent of what I`ve tried.

Again I cannot feel them so I cannot imagine it being tree sap otherwise I should be able to smear it?

The car is 3 weeks old, no garage and no car port. So it could be anything in theory.

Anyone have any suggestions? I even tried some reynolds wrap on my fingers to run over the spots (like the celophane trick some folks use to feel their windows/paint when claybaring).

All of my other cleaning supplies are in storage. So what I can use is limited right now so keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to purchase something OTC I would say use DG Nu-Glass (#755) (Find at NAPA or Car Quest) and a Meguairs clay kit.

As far as what the contaminant is, I have no answer for. But a claying and Nu-Glass should improve it if it is indeed a surface contaminant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    If you want to purchase something OTC I would say use DG Nu-Glass (#755) (Find at NAPA or Car Quest) and a Meguairs clay kit.

As far as what the contaminant is, I have no answer for. But a claying and Nu-Glass should improve it if it is indeed a surface contaminant.

I probably have a claybar stuffed away. I`m really not sure what it is, I`ve just noticed it and being how young my car is I`m flustered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a razor blade with some window cleaner as a lube. If not, use ultra fine steel wool with window cleaner. Be careful not to hit anything but the glass with the steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    I probably have a claybar stuffed away. I`m really not sure what it is, I`ve just noticed it and being how young my car is I`m flustered.

I understand, however if you drive the car everyday, things are going to happen to it. It is just the name of the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about DG Nu-Glass. Is it a window cleaner, or more like Menzerna for glass? I`ve got some fine dots on my glass that are about to drive me -- well, dotty. Regular cleaning hasn`t gotten rid of them.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fluxy! I thought you abandoned us for good. Since you know the disappearing water spot trick, I`ll presume you are correct and these aren`t typical water spots. The grouping does seem suspect, and if this is an `08 GTI as noted in your sig, could be almost anything from something that happened to the windshield before it was installed, to something deposited along the way from Germany (or wherever VW makes them). With all respect to RickRack, I wouldn`t touch my brand-new baby with razor blades or steel wool.

Windshields are weird these days, I think I discovered the other week that my RSX has some sort of polymeric coating or lamination on the inside (along the lines of that ill-fated anti-laceration stuff that GM put on the insides of the windshields for a year or two). From the picture they look like really small specs. Do you have any abrasive or chemical (paint or metal) polish that isn`t in storage? That would be worth a try by hand, might take it right off. IIRC you are a Zaino guy, you`d probably want to give their glass polish a try if you have any when you "un-store" your stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Zann
    Tell me about DG Nu-Glass. Is it a window cleaner, or more like Menzerna for glass? I`ve got some fine dots on my glass that are about to drive me -- well, dotty. Regular cleaning hasn`t gotten rid of them.

Thanks.

Well I guess that is one way of putting it. Yes it is like Menzerna for glass. There are similar products that are better, but you cannot get them OTC. NU-Glass does what it is supposed to do pretty well.

Using a weak clay like Meguiars white (Availiable in the clay kit) also works well. I personally use an ONR clay lube. Basically you do not want to use a lube that will leave streaks on the glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Fluxy! I thought you abandoned us for good. Since you know the disappearing water spot trick, I`ll presume you are correct and these aren`t typical water spots. The grouping does seem suspect, and if this is an `08 GTI as noted in your sig, could be almost anything from something that happened to the windshield before it was installed, to something deposited along the way from Germany (or wherever VW makes them). With all respect to RickRack, I wouldn`t touch my brand-new baby with razor blades or steel wool.

Windshields are weird these days, I think I discovered the other week that my RSX has some sort of polymeric coating or lamination on the inside (along the lines of that ill-fated anti-laceration stuff that GM put on the insides of the windshields for a year or two). From the picture they look like really small specs. Do you have any abrasive or chemical (paint or metal) polish that isn`t in storage? That would be worth a try by hand, might take it right off. IIRC you are a Zaino guy, you`d probably want to give their glass polish a try if you have any when you "un-store" your stuff.

Wow what a memory. I am impressed Setec.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    Wow what a memory. I am impressed Setec.

Whaddya talkin` about...none of us newbs could forget our "greeting" from Fluxy and some of the other old-timers back in the days of Autopia Chat! And you think you guys have it bad now getting flamed for stupid newb questions in your threads...Fluxy`s good people though.

PS I guess he wanted a VW he could see the instruments in...and I bet he didn`t think I`d remember that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Whaddya talkin` about...none of us newbs could forget our "greeting" from Fluxy and some of the other old-timers back in the days of Autopia Chat! And you think you guys have it bad now getting flamed for stupid newb questions in your threads...Fluxy`s good people though.

PS I guess he wanted a VW he could see the instruments in...and I bet he didn`t think I`d remember that!

:sosad

Yeah I`m not sure what`s going on here. It`s really burning at my brain since I`m OCD about my car and my computers (and not much else).

Thanks for the Welcome Back. Truth be told I still have no time to detail and it seems futile to do so until I have a garage again.

I`m sure I have some Menzerna or something in storage. I`d just have to dig it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well sir, i can only make a guess here but water spots can occur even though the car is new, are you for sure how long it sat at the dealership? I dont know about you but the dealers in my area are very hard on the cars...they pay teenagers like 3 dollars a car to go over with some nasty brush so this may not be out of the question...but i have an idea that will probably work for you, in fact i did it about 5 hours ago. Go to your grocery store and pick up "Bar Keepers Friend" it is an abrasive powder that supposedly can get rid of rust and such...

Take a plastic cup and add about 5 ounces of the powder and fill up with water until you get a paste texture. Then tape of all of your trim surrounding all of your glass and make sure that it is clean. I just took a basic kitchen knife and "buttered" it onto a few old rags i had and then some elbow grease smeared it onto the windows working it back and forth with pressure. Let it dry to a haze and then clean the windows with your favorite cleaner. And presto you should have your glass in much better shape/no spots....it did wonders for my glass, they were pretty bad. Just be careful not to get it on anything. Put towels over your hood so you dont drip any on the paint when doing the windshield because even the paste tends to run a bit

Thread Information