Post Thanks / Like
    Greeings,I have a 96 Chevy truck, red. And it has kind of a haze look down the side. It was last waxed with turtle wax. Also, looks like it`s loosing some clear coat on the hood (oxydation?) Was wondering what products and technics I could use to save my paint?

Also what tools should I buy as far as buffing goes. (never done it before)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhhh, notorius red. The second or third most difficult color to maintain, next to blacks and blues. If you have a PC o UDM, go with foam pads, in the 5.5, to 6.5 range. Use accommodating baking plate with a good paint cleaner to refreshen the color by removing oxidation. Or go with a light grade polish to reduce swirls and clean the paint. Some of my favs would include Optimum Polish, or Four Star Pre Wax cleaner.

If your losing clear coat in local areas, evident by bubbles or peeling, attack that area by hand as you dont want misc clear coat fallout embedding itself into the pads pores. Also consider a clay job. Follow up with a nice polymer sealant.

Product choices will depend on your preference of OTC vs. online....
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Ahhhhh, notorius red. The second or third most difficult color to maintain, next to blacks and blues. If you have a PC o UDM, go with foam pads, in the 5.5, to 6.5 range. Use accommodating baking plate with a good paint cleaner to refreshen the color by removing oxidation. Or go with a light grade polish to reduce swirls and clean the paint. Some of my favs would include Optimum Polish, or Four Star Pre Wax cleaner.

If your losing clear coat in local areas, evident by bubbles or peeling, attack that area by hand as you dont want misc clear coat fallout embedding itself into the pads pores. Also consider a clay job. Follow up with a nice polymer sealant.

Product choices will depend on your preference of OTC vs. online....

I`m unfamiliar with what a PC or UDM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to the top of the page and click on Sticky: Acronym Decoder COMPLETE 11/26/07

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    PC=Porter Cable 7424

UDM=Ultimate Detailing Machine

They are both Dual Action polishers, so it takes a 5 star moron to burn the paint with them. They are basically the exact same, but the UDM has more power. It would help if you could post some pics of the hazing or clearcoat problem. And after you read this you need to go and throw your Turtle Wax in the trash. Order a quality wax online. You can get a good quality wax for not much at all.

Thread Information