Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a new member and if this becomesa double post, I appologize.

Could you all help me out on picking a portable air compressor and what accessories I would need.

This would just be for detailing my Mustang`s door jambs, under hood, wheels, interior, inside trunk and so on.

Not sure what aspects to look for, not looking to spend and ton and want something portable under 100 pounds for sure.

Ill try the leaf blower thing but I have seen and used the air compressor with the hose and lil adjustable gun at a detailing shop and it absolutely kicks ***!

please try and be specific or give part number or L ink to the compressor and accessories you use.

Also Im not looking to dry the whole car with it just the details and stuff I cant hit with a MF.

:woot: Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a Rigid, to replace my 12 year old monster DeVilbiss upright that was getting ready to crap out on me. But there are two main factors you should look at when purchasing any unit.

1. Output – not just initial pressure, but constant pressure when in use. The Rigid is a 1.8 hp, twin-tank with SCFM @ 90 psi in use and 150 psi max (initial pressure). I like the twin quick-release valves, and adjustable pressure before the attachments. This is enough for what I do at home, weighs about 50/60 lbs and ‘somewhat’ portable for misc house hold chores.

2. Contaminants – Whatever you buy – you should get two separate filters, (NOT a two in one filter either). One filter for water and the other for oils, checking and changing them often.

Always keep purging the tank (see instructions) for the water condensation that builds up – you’d be shocked how much is in the tank after several uses.

Good luck in your choice.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I could suggest an alternate, which would be a Metro blower: Metro Vacuums & Dryers I have what they call the "Car & Cycle Blaster Dryer", many members have the Vac `N Blo. I see there are a couple of others on there. One of the smaller ones may be fine for the jambs, etc. Not so much maintenance required, and no waiting for it to pump up. A little less convenient to turn on and off rather than just having an air gun ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the alt`s.

They are pricey, I saw a cycle blower on ebay from a link someone provided on this here site that was I think only $40, it had a rubber tip as well in case you bump your paint.

How fast does the air come out on those there from your link? It did not say, I heard you need like 150mph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, they are expensive. The dear, departed Bill D got a cheap one from Pep Boys or somewhere that he said worked fine (I think). I can`t tell you if the $40 one will be ok...probably.

Post Thanks / Like
    eBay Motors: CYCLEDRY CYCLE DRY MOTORCYCLE BLOWER / DRYER / BLASTER (item 140188765323 end time Dec-19-07 19:01:25 PST)

thats the one I was refering to

the nice thing about those expensive ones was all the different attachments

how much speed do you need the air to be traveling to blow the water off under the hood and trunk and door jambs and mirrors and so on.

Has anyone had any issues blowing debris on your car or anything like that with any of these blowers? I think the smaller the attachment another words the better you can concentrate the area to a small beam of air coming out the better, if that makes sense

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t take any of those mph speed claims as gospel. That ebay one looks like it will do the job...but don`t blame me if it doesn`t! I personally don`t blow the jambs, etc. I blow the car with the doors, hood and trunk closed, then I go in and wipe those areas with a towel, as they are usually dirty (and somewhat wet). If they are really dirty you will probably want to wipe them down with QD or waterless wash, then of course you can polish/wax them so they will be easier to clean in future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar discussion before and was talked into getting an air compressor. I got the DeWalt D55146 which fit the bill for me. It is a little expensive also, but I had many other uses for it. It is a little heavy, but it is portable and is oil free. I am very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    “Setec Astronomy†offers a great alternative. I had an old electric leaf-blower I used all the time, but has since gone to the great landfill in the sky. RIP. It really was a great alternative to my compressor. Over the last summer I’ve become accustomed to the air compressor, but after seeing “Setec Astronomy’s†post I’m wondering if I could squeeze one on my ‘gift-list’ she has for me.

“Setec††please tell me if there’s a filter on these blowers? Hate for it to pick up an impurity and blast it against the finish or paint. Thanks.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there`s a foam filter on the blower intake, if it`s a Vac n` Blow then it`s filtered thru the vac bag. I`m speaking of the Metro products, don`t know about the ebay/cheapie ones. The Metro stuff is awful expensive for a metal can with a motor in it...but at least they are made in the US. Someone posted here or on MOL or SCG a couple years ago a rechargeable one, I think it might have been a Makita...I couldn`t really understand the designed use for it, I think it was supposed to be a leaf blower...that runs for 5 minutes and has to be recharged?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    I had a similar discussion before and was talked into getting an air compressor.

Here`s one:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...your-auto.html
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the fast answer “Setecâ€.

I have a rechargeable vac/blower from DeWalt with the 18 Volt battery multi-tool systems. It certainly doesn’t have enough power to really blow out all of the deeper cracks & crevasses all over the car.

Knowing the Metro’s have a filter will get me to sneak it on the list she has in her purse, (although I doubt she’ll go for it  ).

Hey “David†– I’ve got the big Shop-Vac with the 6 hp motor and probably would if I hadn’t used it the way I do and ‘infested’ it with dust.

It’s seen every type of crud I could pickup. Wet, dry, sheetrock dust, even leaves under the Evergreen Shrubs, so mines a mess! Because of that, I’ve never started that thing without seeing a slight dust cloud, regardless of the dust bag AND filter on at the same time. I can’t imagine myself using it as a blower. I like the idea/concept, and it would certainly save money as I already own something that powerful. Good tip for others though.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintlysins
    Thanks for the fast answer “Setecâ€.

I have a rechargeable vac/blower from DeWalt with the 18 Volt battery multi-tool systems. It certainly doesn’t have enough power to really blow out all of the deeper cracks & crevasses all over the car.

Knowing the Metro’s have a filter will get me to sneak it on the list she has in her purse, (although I doubt she’ll go for it  ).

Hey “David†– I’ve got the big Shop-Vac with the 6 hp motor and probably would if I hadn’t used it the way I do and ‘infested’ it with dust.

It’s seen every type of crud I could pickup. Wet, dry, sheetrock dust, even leaves under the Evergreen Shrubs, so mines a mess! Because of that, I’ve never started that thing without seeing a slight dust cloud, regardless of the dust bag AND filter on at the same time. I can’t imagine myself using it as a blower. I like the idea/concept, and it would certainly save money as I already own something that powerful. Good tip for others though.

David is not suggesting using a shop vac. The title of the thread is deceiving. The thread was originally started by me and shows how David and a couple of others directed me towards using an air compressor.

Post Thanks / Like
    “OH --- I SEEâ€, SAID THE BLIND MAN ... as he realized the line in the previous post by David Fermani and misinterpreted by the blind SaintlySins ... "Why not use a Shop-Vac to dry your auto?" ... Was a link and not a question! :nixweiss

Thanks for the clarity (on the whole thread) “Howareb†... I’ll promise to stop drinking while posting.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    So the $40 cycle blowers, do they have a filter? Do you need a filter?

I don`t see the benefit in paying $200 for one of those Metro blowers, Id rather get an air compressor for that price I think.

Air compressors use a filter?

If I cant get the really hard to reach water under the hood and inside door hingers, that hard to get areas when you open the trunk, and under tail and head lights then I see no point in getting a leaf blower or anything less than an air compressor because I will not be using this to dry my entire car, this is strictly for the hard to impossible areas to hit with a towel, you know those areas where you end up with a ripped MF towel that costs you $10.

thanks, keep the suggestions coming and try to provide a link or at least an exact model number as there are many different air compressors out there as well as vacs and blowers.

Also what attachments are best with an air compressor. Is it possible to do a a complete air compressor for under $200?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information