Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve waxed cars for years, until I read here that you need a polish in between the wash and the wax.

I will start with Dawn to clean, then can you find me a polish, then I got a mothers carnauba cleaner wax, turtle wax, raindance. I also have plenty of soaps to keep it clean in between details since the dawn strips.

At the parts house, a guy recommended Nufinish. also, that`s the only polish I saw at walmart. Everything else tends to be some kind of mixture.

I also have some old, old 3M glaze that I am scared to use right now.

Can you confirm the NuPolish or direct me to a decent first timer`s polish?

Thanks

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its all subjective. I use polish to remove minor defects prior to waxing. Most of my customers are happy when I just clay and wax their rides. I used to think they just didnt want to pay the extra labor, but I think most people just don`t have that critical eye that most of us enthusiists and detailers have. If you are satisfied with your shine with the processes youve been using then dont change them, however leaps and bounds have been made since Nu Finish came out and if that 3M is old then throw it away. Also your in for a real treat if you expect to see much result for your effort if you are applying polish by hand, you may as well just use a good cleaner wax unless you have a PC or UDM. Most new car finishes cannot be repaired by hand well.

Post Thanks / Like
    `I had a 97 Red Z28 and would keep it very clean and wax often. I\`ve since thought for year that Chevrolet paint is no good. Then I waxed a white Mustang and it looked so good. Maybe, the Z never shined because it never got a polish.\r\n\r\nAnd I can\`t seem to find my old buffer so it would be by hand. \r\n\r\nI want to clean. condition, then protect.\r\n\r\n\r\nSo, clean with dawn. Go over with the claybar. Put down a decent polish (need help on this one), then protect with one or a mixture of all my waxes. \r\n\r\n\r\nMy new car is an 87 but looks to have been repainted. But if the polish is a waste applying by hand, then I\`ll heed your advice and simply buy a claybar kit instead of wax and go about my usual business.`

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any point to a milder polish than swirl reducer if paint is ok? Don`t want to run around dissolving paint for no purpose, or worse create swirls

Or all you telling me that the clay bar clogs the pores pretty good?

It is all in the slogan, motto, or logo.

Why would you want a wax to clean? That is the job of wash, shampoo, and detergents.

Basic paint prep...

Clean = soap

Polish = ?NuPolish

Protect = wax

Sounds from looking at this chart that a cleaner wax has no protection value. So maybe toss that too. And I bet NuFinish would last 52 washes if it has a coat of wax over it.

I keep reading what you said over again. You mean I can use cleaner wax for the polish process.

<confusion sets>

Post Thanks / Like
    you know what.

I don`t even want to treat the paint. I want

the metal underneath it to be sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    something else

It`s just gotta be oil based.

<tempted to get an oily rag>

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you buy an all in one product.(I do not know what you have in stock near you as i live in europe) but I am pretty sure that you can easily find meguiars nxt. (it is a very ligth polish with good hiding ability some cleaning action and it also has "some" protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil- For people wanting to go beyond the "wash/wax" level, I always recommend 1Z polishes (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail! or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories ). Very user-friendly, very effective, and perfectly safe for your paint.

I know it`s a PIA to order stuff as opposed to going to the local store, but I`m absolutely certain that you`ll be thrilled with how it turns out if you go with the 1Z. I`d bet my life you`d like it a whole lot better than the NuFinish

And no, claying won`t do anything detrimental as long as you use a gentle clay (the Mother`s kit sold in stores is a good choice as is the ClayMagic blue) and do it correctly. Don`t worry about the "pores" of automotive paint, it`s basically an impermeable film with no real pores at all. Nothing`s gonna get through it to damage the metal unless you neglect the paint so badly that it fails (and that`d take years anyhow). Auto paint is tough stuff, you don`t need to worry about oil/water-based products, just keep it clean and waxed and everything will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just cant help but giggle at this....

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying will not damage the paint unless performed improperly or the grade of clay is too harsh. NuFinish is not a wax but a sealant, as it is polymer based. Some people want a cleaner wax as it provides a more intense cleaning than washing alone. Some cleaner waxes/sealants use chemicals to clean, some use abrasives. Cleaner waxes/sealants are a good alternative to traditional waxes/sealants if you want it all in one step. However, cleaner waxes/sealants cannot be layered over themselves as the cleaning agent is intended to remove whatever its applied to, including the coat you just applied. A non-cleaner/sealant must be used for any coats except for the first if you want to apply multipe coats. If you want more information on what products you want for these tasks, the reviews section is very helpful and the "how to" section for how products work together and the different tasks they perform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil

Do you use a PC?
    Good driving and good listening!!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO NuFinish is total and complete crap. Worst I have used as an adult.
    Good driving and good listening!!

Post Thanks / Like
    PC, I have no clue what this is but assume its a "powered cloth" and do not have one.

I went for the Mothers claybar kit, but was short some change and got the NuFinish. Applied it like a wax. The car looks good afterward and is smooth and rich feeling, but I really can tell no difference.

I almost picked up Meguiars step 2 polish from their 3 step kit, but figured it was for use only if using their other two steps. I`ll try it a few more times, but on the back of the bottle says take it back to the store for a full refund if dissatisfied, but I don`t know if I am.

I just don`t understand how its supposed to go. It says it protects for 52 washes, but how does a polish protect? ALso on the bottle, "NO BUFFING, NO RUBBING" then how are you supposed to "apply" the stuff. Spray or wipe, but then wiping is some form of rubbing.

Why they toying with my head?

Post Thanks / Like
    Seminole. How is NuFinish not a polish? or is a polish a type of sealant. I thought sealants were synthetic waxes..

Did I do no good by putting a coat of wax over the Nufinish?

...there`s a long road ahead

Post Thanks / Like
    grats oil.....this is the first time I have seen people get trolled on these forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information