Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone,

I am a first time poster and I have a quick question for you guys. I would like to take care of my car properly, but I live in a city known as Winnipeg, where right now the weather is supposed to be dipping and staying below -14C for the rest of december on average... I tried washing my car two days ago when it was -10C, and the ONR formed sheets of ice on my car in seconds of me applying it. I tried beating the ice formation, but my waffleweave towel froze onto my car and I decided to give in...

Now I know using the local bay carwash in a horrible thought on a car paint, but do I have any other options available to me? The signs in the carwash I go to strictly say no bucket washing, and since the bays are always full (no matter what time it seems), I am never able to spend the proper time to clean my car. Do you guys have any method for cleaning cars in cold weather, my garage is insulated but not heated.

Also given the weather conditions, would it be too late to apply a coating of Klaise on the vehicle and top it with Meguiars Wax? Or would that not work in below 0 temperatures as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont really know what you as far as the cold because i live in Texas, lol.

but if your garage is insulated then maybe you can invest in a couple of halogens and try your ONR in there

the halos pretty much act as heaters and you can see a ton of imperfections under them, its like getting 2 birds with 1 stone
    03 Redfire Mustang GT

13.9 when it was stock

Intake, Exhaust now

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks dude will try that out, I also have a space heater.

Well to give you a hint of how cold it is, last night I came home, parked in the garage, and thought I would apply some Lexol (just recieved it the other day). So i got a wet sponge and came back to my car, and during the middle of the application I realised the sponge froze! I hate to see how hard it will be to do anything come January...

DG G35 Coupe -> 19s PIAA Super Rozza

Bats Overlays, 35% tint, Kuruma Z front Bumper Coming Soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Wisconsin, so I feel your pain. I use a torpedo heater that runs off a 20# propane tank. Bring the car in the garage, leaving the door cracked 1 to 2 inches. Turn your heater on and let it run for 15 to 30 minutes depending how cold it is. That should warm the air and the surface of the car. Good to go with ONR and can also apply pretty much any product you want. It is somewhat time consuming, but well worth it. Enjoy the cold, I certainly won`t. Make sure to read and follow the instructions of any heater you use, it can be very dangerous with fumes and any flames.

Post Thanks / Like
    insulated garage (and garage door) with gas heater hooked into house gas line FTW!!!

i`m also in WI, but just heat up my garage when needed to do washes/details. if i didn`t have the warm garage, i would stick to using the self-wash bays and merely spray the majority of the salt/dirt off the car in the winter. definitely make sure you rinse under the car every week or so during the road salt season.

2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using at least warm water in your ONR mixture? I`ve been doing this at -15 temps and have had no problems in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paradigm, very nice with the gas heater. I was thinking of getting a Modine Hot Dawg gas heater. Just not sure i want the expense of running gas line out to garage and venting. It would be great, especially on days like today, wind, snow and rain. Great day to put some more layers of wax on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Winnipeg is much colder than Wisconsin or Michigan. If it`s much below 25F I`d suggest using a touchless car wash, then go straight home and park inside and hope your windows and doors don`t freeze.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    Winnipeg is much colder than Wisconsin or Michigan. If it`s much below 25F I`d suggest using a touchless car wash, then go straight home and park inside and hope your windows and doors don`t freeze.

That`s pretty much what I`m doing all winter. I`m in Anchorage, which isn`t even the cold part of Alaska. I hit the touchless wash, try not to freeze my hands off while wiping down the door jambs and cross my fingers, as I park outside 24/7.

Good luck. (I did an outdoors ONR wash with warm water at about 40 degrees one lucky day in early November, but that or 35 is probably my limit.)

Post Thanks / Like
    40 degrees needs warm water?

i just washed a car in 35 degree weather, and i barely ever encounter weather that cold!
    JC-Detail

:getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBs
    40 degrees needs warm water?

i just washed a car in 35 degree weather, and i barely ever encounter weather that cold!

It may not "need" warm water at 40 degrees, but it sure made it more comfortable.

I`m not messing with trying to wash the car when it`s in the 30s because chances are my car will be colder than the air. It`s cold at night, we don`t get much daylight this time of year, and where I park is largely in the shade for most of the day. A cold day in LA doesn`t compare in my book. :laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put the ONR in a warm bucket of water. Then use some kind of mitten or glove covered with a rubber glove so you don`t get your hands wet and cold. I do this during the winter and it works really good.

For your garage, you can get a small Reddy Heater and use your grill propane tank with it. This will get your garage warm enough to use the ONR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any chemical properties of ONR that would make it more resistant to freezing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaval
    Are there any chemical properties of ONR that would make it more resistant to freezing?

I can`t answer that question specifically but can share an experience that speaks to its properties. I haven`t tried to do a full blown ONR wash below freezing, but I have tried to use the ONR in its quick detail strength to help me remove a nasty bird bomb. It was probably about 20 degrees Farenheit that day. I`m sorry to say the ONR as a QD froze pretty darn quickly. I was able to remove the bird bomb, but I had a frozen water mark from the frozen ONR until my next full wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    `
    Quote Originally Posted by kaval
    Are you using at least warm water in your ONR mixture? I\`ve been doing this at -15 temps and have had no problems in the garage.
    \r\n\r\nSure have but the mixture turned freezing cold after 10 minutes. That is about the same time it started to freeze up.`

DG G35 Coupe -> 19s PIAA Super Rozza

Bats Overlays, 35% tint, Kuruma Z front Bumper Coming Soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information