Post Thanks / Like
    I want to apply a couple coats of FK 1000P and then some collinite 476 on top for winter protection. The temps have been in the low to mid 40`s here in NY. Is that too cold for the wax to bond and cure on the paint? If not how long should I wait before applying more coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    A wax wont bond, cure to paint. The solvents flash off. You can apply the wax, it just may take longer to flash than in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    stiffdogg06, how long do you think it would take in mid 50`s weather? The only reason I ask is I`m detailing my car Tuesday, if not tomorrow, and it should be in the low 50`s. I`m using Menzerna FMJ on it as the sealant, but want to apply a nuba on top after 24 hours. Should I wait longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffdogg06
    A wax wont bond, cure to paint. The solvents flash off. You can apply the wax, it just may take longer to flash than in the summer.

How long should I wait in between coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    A really good quality Carnauba Wax will flash harden within several hours, but won’t completely ‘cure’ for 72 to 96 hours (3 to 4 days) depending on temperature and humidity. I believe this to be true as my details look much deeper/wetter since I’ve been waiting 4 to 5 days between applications. I certainly wouldn’t put sealer over wax that’s less than 4 days old. A pain in the @$$ to say the least, but I’m pretty anal about doing the best job possible, and toss in my OCD – and a refusal to take the med’s ;-) ... and the car has depth of shine like nothing else.

I don’t think you should attempt applying any product below 45/50 degrees, but the temperature is only my opinion, and I’m sure there are more knowledgeable people on this site with a more educated answer. Looking forward to seeing what temperature they say is the cut-off for applying wax.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. I`m wondering the same thing myself. C`mon where are all the pro`s! Obviously guys detail all year long so whats the trick? does the temp really make that big of a deal? Can you apply wax/sealant in a closed garage in the winter with a space heater?

Thread Information