Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting here across from a detail shop in town.

Guy is washing a nice looking late 90`s blazer with purple power degreaser.

Unbelievable .
    Mighty Hd

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure what is in Purple Power but I suspect it isn`t all that much different than Dawn which is also a degreaser. Now it may be more risky in regards to possibly damaging plastic chrome and may not provide good lubricity but it probably cleans very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Write a letter to the government, the lord has blessed them

Post Thanks / Like
    update:

Took a few gallon jugs of purple power, dumped them in the interior of the blazer.

Scrubbed a bit and is now hosing it out with water. Looks like a bubble bath inside.

Seats and complete interior is in for the record.....
    Mighty Hd

Post Thanks / Like
    Is he actually soaking the interior with a water hose? Ive never seen someone do that.

Purple power is kinda like a really stong APC.

It kinda makes your hands slimy if you get it on them.. And its not from the product....Its your skin..

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ +1 agreed the Lord has blessed them, so much so that they dont care about the environment...

EPA, can you see this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    I`m not sure what is in Purple Power but I suspect it isn`t all that much different than Dawn which is also a degreaser.

You know, I don`t know why Dawn is so demonized here at Autopia, it`s a mild detergent designed for millions of dishwashers to put their hands in EVERY DAY. It`s on or under the kitchen counter where more millions of kids can get at it easily. It`s not very different than the liquid body washes a lot of us use to wash our private parts every day in the shower. The P&G MSDS says the only hazardous ingredient in Dawn is 1-5% ethyl alcohol.

On the hazard rating (0-4 scale, 0=minimal/insignificant, 4=severe/extreme), Dawn Ultra rates at Health=1, Flammability=1, Reactivity=0 and says that the hazard to skin is "Transient irritation with prolonged exposure to concentrated material".

If "Purple Power" is this stuff: SuperClean then that rates at Health=3, Flammability=0, Reactivity=1 and states "Danger! Causes eye and skin burns. Avoid contact." and that the hazard to skin is: "Irritation, redness, extreme dryness and peeling, scarring may develop. Remove clothing and immediately flush with plenty of clean water for at least 15 minutes. Consult a physician immediately."

I wish everybody would get over Dawn being harsh or dangerous. Will it remove wax any more effectively than a car wash at the same concentration? Has anyone ever tested that? I`m sure if you use many times the recommended concentration of a dedicated car wash, it will be more aggressive on your wax than the normal concentration. What I`m pretty darn sure of, is that any product that is sold in every supermarket, big box store, convenience store, and millions of people put their hands in every day, and potentially LEAVE RESIDUE OF IT ON EATING UTENSILS, is pretty darn safe. Sure, they use Dawn to take crude oil off of ducklings...BECAUSE IT IS SAFE FOR THE DUCKLINGS...a lot safer than being covered in crude oil...I`d be willing to bet that Meg`s GC would be pretty safe and work pretty well on the ducklings...but Meg`s didn`t provide a truck full of GC at the site of an oil spill for free for PR.

/rant

Post Thanks / Like
    I was checking out a bottle of Purple Power last weekend and when I read the label it specifically said not to use it on automobile paint. :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    the question to me (and I have a few on this thread) if dawn is so safe for my skin to touch it daily how could it possibly be bad for my paint which is made to handle alot harsher enviorments than my hands ever could.

Who washes their cars anymore without waxing them? who cares if it strips wax. Just re-wax the dang car. seems like a mute point to me.

And did he say "Gallons" being poured into that poor upholstry??? Wow... I really hope they never spill anything in there again. All suds up again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the dilution, an APC wash is not a huge deal. I`ve used PP 10:1 as a tar remover, and 64:1 in the foamgun as a wash aid, with no ill effects. I have, however, seen paint clouding when full strength PP gets on paint (my sister was trying to clean her wells, lol), but P0106ff cleaned it up.

Ugh, concentrated APC on interior carpets is a terrible idea. I did it once back in my pre-Autopia days and it took *hours* to extract all the suds.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I forgot...there is a one word reason why P&G says not to use Dawn on your paint--LIABILITY. They don`t want a bunch of non-Autopians washing 5 years of dirt off of their car with Dawn and discovering that their paint is ruined (not from the Dawn but from 5 years of not washing their car) and blaming it on the Dawn. They can say "it says right on our site Dawn is not recommended for washing cars".

If any of you are horrified about an APC being used on the paint...think about this, the FK1 decon system uses TSP and petroleum distillates as step 1 and acid as step 2...this product is intended for dealers to use on brand new cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by If any of you are horrified about an APC being used on the paint...think about this, the FK1 decon system uses TSP and petroleum distillates as step 1 and acid as step 2...this product is intended for dealers to use on [I
    brand new cars[/I].

I think my decon kit is "meaner" than most APC`s - it and wheel brightener are the only thing I bother to wear gloves for, and yet I`ve never seen any damage as a result.

A lot of guys on here like to "play it safe" when it comes to their baby, and that`s completely understandable, but the pros have been known to get very aggressive (black wool pads, wheel acid, etc) with excellent results. It`s like a hack saw vs. a chainsaw - the hacksaw is harder to do damage with, but I`ve never seen anyone sculpt a tree stump with one
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was 15, I washed the mildew off my Dad`s old 63 Dodge with a dish rag and some Ajax. It cleaned up pretty good. He paid 300 bucks for that car, just a beater to drive to the country store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good argument for the Dawn wash, Setec. I might have to load the foam cannon up with some Dawn and some Z7 (for added lubrication) and give it a shot. What you said does make alot of sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t see what the big deal is. As long as he isn`t dumping the stuff on the paint straight, it isn`t all that unsafe. I use it 1:1 with water as a presoak on tough bugs and tar, on a number of vehicles, and have seen no paint clouding or staining.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information