Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, this sorta turned into another one of those Dawn :argue threads so I guess I`ll throw in my $0.02 :chuckle:

Anybody who`s used a decontamination system, or PrepSol, or 3M Adhesive Remover, or even IPA oughta know that Dawn is one mighty gentle product in comparison.

We have Dawn in our kitchen sink`s soap dispenser and I wash my (sorta sensitive skin)hands with it countless times every day. Sure doesn`t dry them out the way a *lot* of products do :nixweiss But OK, that`s hardly scientific...some day I oughta grab a piece of old plastic trim and wash it with Dawn every week until if finally starts to show some kind of detrimental effect, oughta do the same thing to another piece using regular shampoo mix and see what the difference really is. But then somebody would probably say that the trim in question was some sort of ringer and the :argue will go on forever anyhow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    What I`m pretty darn sure of, is that any product that is sold in every supermarket, big box store, convenience store, and millions of people put their hands in every day, and potentially LEAVE RESIDUE OF IT ON EATING UTENSILS, is pretty darn safe. Sure, they use Dawn to take crude oil off of ducklings...BECAUSE IT IS SAFE FOR THE DUCKLINGS...a lot safer than being covered in crude oil...I`d be willing to bet that Meg`s GC would be pretty safe and work pretty well on the ducklings...but Meg`s didn`t provide a truck full of GC at the site of an oil spill for free for PR.

/rant

Decaf maybe?
    ...BlackSheepSquad...

Post Thanks / Like
    I try and keep the kitchen stuff in the kitchen you know? I`d rather not use it on any of my vehicles, inside or out.
    I like shiny things that go vvrooommm...:chuckle:

04 Durango (shiny)

95 turbo stang (soon to be vroomy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa3346
    I don`t see what the big deal is. As long as he isn`t dumping the stuff on the paint straight, it isn`t all that unsafe. I use it 1:1 with water as a presoak on tough bugs and tar, on a number of vehicles, and have seen no paint clouding or staining.

Agreed. I use it for tires, wells, undercarriages, and usually on the front end of bug/tar riddled cars. No problems at all, diluted properly of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alcohol wont hurt your hands at all but it sure as heck takes wax off.

Dawn is a De-greaser. It will remove wax and oils in your paint.

I do not have the time to wax my Jeep once a week.. Ill stick to once every two months and just use a soap thats made for washing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
    Alcohol wont hurt your hands at all but it sure as heck takes wax off.

Dawn is a De-greaser. It will remove wax and oils in your paint.

Have you ever used alcohol or a stronger solvent on your hands and had it dry them out? Turn your skin white and flaky? Does that happen when you wash dishes with Dawn? It doesn`t to me. How is Dawn a degreaser? Because you can wash a greasy pot with it? My face and hair get oily if I don`t wash them, but I don`t consider face soap or shampoo to be a "degreaser", even if they do get me clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    How is Dawn a degreaser? Because you can wash a greasy pot with it? My face and hair get oily if I don`t wash them, but I don`t consider face soap or shampoo to be a "degreaser", even if they do get me clean.

If your face and hair are as greasy as a pot, whatever shampoo you use, I would certainly consider it a degreaser. :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXTASY
    If your face and hair are as greasy as a pot, whatever shampoo you use, I would certainly consider it a degreaser. :chuckle:

Well, my pots aren`t very greasy since I try to keep to a low-fat diet. It`s clear from all the Dawn-phobia here that there are many fewer bachelors and guys who do dishes on here than I thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    "Introducing Dawn PLUS with Power Scrubbers. This new, more powerful formula features the great grease-fighting power youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve come to expect from Dawn, and now has extra scrubbing power to clean tough food messes easily."

Dawn: What`s New at Dawn

Dawn: Uses & Tips

Idk if grease-fighting is the same as a De-greaser.. Fairly sure it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I give up. If you guys think hand dish washing fluid is a degreaser, fine. Just don`t come around any industrial settings or auto shops and suggest that Dawn is a degreaser. I`d hate to see you guys around some 1,1,1, Freon 113, trichlor, perc, TSP, or other caustic alkaline cleaners, then you`d actually know what a degreaser is. Wait, here`s a point of reference that some of you can understand, Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner, with an active ingredient of Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate, that`s a caustic degreaser....one I sure wouldn`t want to mix with hot water and stick my hands in to wash dishes.

EDIT: Maybe we can use this definition, if it doesn`t defat the skin on your fingers, it`s not real degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamHBonney
    Write a letter to the government, the lord has blessed them

Wtf

Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus you folks are wackos.

Get a grip, it`s soap...
    ...BlackSheepSquad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by violentveedub
    Jesus you folks are wackos.

Get a grip, it`s soap...

No kidding. All soap "degreases". Jeez. It is just a matter of degree. About the only difference I noticed from watching others (neighbor until I took him shopping, father-in-law) use dishwashing soap is that it it harder to rinse completely and can leave a film if not rinsed all the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I`ll stick with products that are specifically recommended for automotive paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t get it - why would anyone want to use Dawn on their car in the first place? What`s the point of using Dawn vs regular car soap? My buddy used to use Dawn on his car, and it seemed like it took a lot more water, and time to rinse all the suds off when he washed his car with Dawn. What are the supposed benefits to using Dawn? I think the only "non automotive" product I use to clean my cars is Woolite (on the interior).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information