Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My boss (who knows nothing about detailing, but thinks he knows everything about everything) recently ran outside as a rainstorm was approaching to move his car out of the covered parking area, and into the rain. I asked him why he did that, and he said he had just waxed his car before work, and that the cold rain would "cure" the wax.

This is the same guy that only washes his car with water (no soap - regardless of how dirty it is), and a sponge because he says soap strips the wax. I advised him that a lot of dedicated car soaps won`t do this, and the soap serves as a lubricant for the wash. Of course he didn`t buy this, as he says that "common sense" says any soap will remove wax.

His idea of cleaning the engine is to blast it at the quarter wash, and doesn`t cover up any of the sensitive components under the hood - he simply blasts away under the hood with the wand.

You should have seen the look on his face when I tried to explain detailing clay.

After listening to my boss, and reading the other thread where the lady has been detailing her car behind her husband`s back, it made me think - what are some of the craziets things you have heard from people you know about car detailing?

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!! Your boss probably has a lot of swirl marks.

I think the most common thing i have is neighbours and friends and telling my how i will polish my paint away or damage it. Even though im just layering on another coat of wax on a sunday afternoon. Polish and wax seem to be the same to most people, and too much of it must ruin your paint. Prehapes true of the first, but not of the later!

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Your boss is old school. In the old days when you used Simonize Paste Wax , you would rinse with cold water to harden the wax. In the old days you would just use plain water to wash your car. When you had a Blue Coral or a Porcelinize treatment they recomended that you only use plain water to wash your car. It wasent to long ago that Rolls Royce recomended only plain water to wash their paint work. You have to tell him about the new things in detailing including clay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually wash my car several times a week, at the dealership I work for. One of the guys there tells me I`m going to wash the paint off and hes dead serious.

The worst part is that most of these guys who think they know everything aren`t willing to listen to any new ideas. My father always talks about Billy Mays whenever I wash my car with ONR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea
    Your boss is old school. In the old days when you used Simonize Paste Wax , you would rinse with cold water to harden the wax. In the old days you would just use plain water to wash your car. When you had a Blue Coral or a Porcelinize treatment they recomended that you only use plain water to wash your car. It wasent to long ago that Rolls Royce recomended only plain water to wash their paint work. You have to tell him about the new things in detailing including clay.

Use of clay to clean is not new... My grandmother used to clean the wall paper with clay.. grandfather use the same stuff on his car... not new just new to market....
    2003 Cobra Vert
    #582 of 5082
    1 of 130 Parchment/Oxford White

Post Thanks / Like
    Swirlomatics do a better job of cleaning than regular car washes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beabout
    Use of clay to clean is not new... My grandmother used to clean the wall paper with clay.. grandfather use the same stuff on his car... not new just new to market....
    I didnt know about clay years ago . I though that they used dough to clean wallpaper. In the mid 60s when I started detailing cars, all I had to clean cars was rubbing compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea
    I didnt know about clay years ago . I though that they used dough to clean wallpaper. In the mid 60s when I started detailing cars, all I had to clean cars was rubbing compound.

Yes, dough was used as well, grandma used to get a can of clay from the Fuller Brush guy that came around about once a month or so...
    2003 Cobra Vert
    #582 of 5082
    1 of 130 Parchment/Oxford White

Post Thanks / Like
    one guy told me not use soap..just water

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    My boss (who knows nothing about detailing, but thinks he knows everything about everything) recently ran outside as a rainstorm was approaching to move his car out of the covered parking area, and into the rain. I asked him why he did that, and he said he had just waxed his car before work, and that the cold rain would "cure" the wax.

It sounds like your boss knows a lot more about detailing than you think he knows. Although you may not want to believe it, that cold rain would help to cure the wax. And that my friend, is very good advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    cold rain would help to cure the wax. And that my friend, is very good advice.

You beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing wrong with old school if it is being done to an old school car.

I`ve been told that I`ll strip the paint off if I keep polishing the car. However they don`t know that I wasn`t polishing but was applying sealant
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    The craziest detail "advice" I have been given is to use mayonaisse to get tree sap off of paint.....never tried it but they swear it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    From an old boss:

"Don`t bother washing the car, you have to buff it anyway"

Yes thats right, dirty cars at this dealership got buffed without being washed. I couldn`t stand to watch anymore so I quit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guy who owned a shop I applied and quit at the same day told me that he had a 1 step product that removed swirls and protected the paint and said I should be able to do 6+ cars inside and out a day with the system that he had developed. I tried to explain fillers in products and that dying carpets didn`t removed the stains but he didn`t listen...Needless to say he had a bunch of customers come to me after they figured him out...

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information