Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember a huckster who would "detail" cars for a used car lot that would compound dirty cars with a wool pad. He swore that the dirt was an abrasive that would help cut the paint...can you say "holy swirls batman".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorJ
    The title of this thread, "advise", is more than a little ironic.

Amazing how often people misspell that word (or misuse it). "Advise" is, indeed, a word, but it is a verb.

"Advice" (the word that should have been used in the thread title) is a noun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would advise you to accept my advice...

The stuff you can learn here is just amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    I would advise you to accept my advice...

:LOLOL:LOLOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, i know its been said a few times already, but i wash my car probably once or twice a week and my mom is always telling me im going to wash the paint off. She has a Caddy CTS and a mercedes s420. She probably washes them once a month hah. I like to wax my car once a month as well and she tells me im going to polish the paint off when im just waxing, and normally im doing it by hand. (just because i use NXT 2.0 and it will remove anything under it with UDM)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thMan
    Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the problem with this? I`ve used WD40 to clean up greasy mechanical parts many times in the past. I`m pretty sure WD40 contains solvents and is specifically intended to help clean as well as lubricate.

Would the issue be with the residue it leaves behind?

WD40 is flammable

Post Thanks / Like
    this thread reminds me of the car wash horror stories thread... someone needs to bring that back. I had some good laughs reading it. My mom, when I`m using my PC, ALWAYS comes out and says "if you keep using that, your paint is going to fall off!" she just doesn`t understand. Thank god I`ve convinced her enough that she doesn`t know ANYTHING about detailing that she doesn`t even try and just leaves it to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDDLE
    lol my dad says that all the time. he says i polish and clean my car so much that the paint will just fall off one day

My Father said the same thing! Haven`t heard him say it since I`ve been doing his car! I wonder why??:buffing:
    K3AKE 147.555

Post Thanks / Like
    A mechanic where I work at told me that I could restore my ugly yellow headlights with Off bug spray and a rag. Just spray it on and work it in. Well I tried it with Off Skintastic. Didn`t work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edgar
    A mechanic where I work at told me that I could restore my ugly yellow headlights with Off bug spray and a rag. Just spray it on and work it in. Well I tried it with Off Skintastic. Didn`t work.

You know, military bug-repellant will melt plastic on disposable cameras, lol. My fam had some old stuff in the amazon in around, oh `96. It was probably different from what they`re doing now - but I`d assume it`s similar to what some detailers use as part of the headlight restoration process, some type of solvent that cna rbeak down plastic (I forget what specifically can be used for this) I wouldn`t be comfortable doing this, considering if any of this touches paint you`re done.

I understand what he may have been thinking of though, that`s funny.
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, how about these two links, for the record...

Both current threads on Benzworld, this guy claims to be a detailer(Benz Rider), listen to his antics - it`s hilarious, but in all hoensty it scares me because these are the kind of people that severely tarnish our image, and they genuinely (stubbornly) think they are right!

There are too many points to bring up here, but I lined them up so you can read them easily on those threads, particularly my last post on the second page of the first link.

It`s only 2 pages long, but the best part is my post at the end of the second page, it`s huge so you can`t miss it.

more 280 pics after a full detail - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

Also, here... Again, only 2 pages.

hard water deposits on glass - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

Frightening Hilarity.
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesaferg
    Oh, how about these two links, for the record...

Both current threads on Benzworld, this guy claims to be a detailer(Benz Rider), listen to his antics - it`s hilarious, but in all hoensty it scares me because these are the kind of people that severely tarnish our image, and they genuinely (stubbornly) think they are right!

There are too many points to bring up here, but I lined them up so you can read them easily on those threads, particularly my last post on the second page of the first link.

It`s only 2 pages long, but the best part is my post at the end of the second page, it`s huge so you can`t miss it.

more 280 pics after a full detail - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

Also, here... Again, only 2 pages.

hard water deposits on glass - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

Frightening Hilarity.

Unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like
    use Vaseline to protect dashboard. the bad thing is that I did it (I was too young)

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a car show / cruise in Friday night where a "professional detailer" was advising a guy with a custom paint job on a Mustang convertible to use Mother`s Aluminum Polish on his paint to get rid of a couple of scratches on his door panel.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, you`ll love this one - my thread I posted with that "Benz Rider" guy just keeps getting better and better! Remember to read my post on page 2, you`ll understand it all better.

more 280 pics after a full detail - Page 3 - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    I was at a car show / cruise in Friday night where a "professional detailer" was advising a guy with a custom paint job on a Mustang convertible to use Mother`s Aluminum Polish on his paint to get rid of a couple of scratches on his door panel.

Hah! How did you intervene?
    Portland, OR

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information