Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the one about baby diapers. This was in the `80s before there was microfiber. Saw a truck driver waxing his rig with Pledge too, back in the day. Also in the `90s, there was this guy on Wisconsin Public Radio that said waxing was a waste of time, cars all have clear coat now. He didn`t keep his show for very long.

Just a couple months back, Autoweek magazine suggested putting a few drops of "salad oil" in your wash water to make your wax job last longer. (1) This sounds crazy, and (2) what is salad oil, exactly? People use all kinds of oil in their salad.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`charlesaferg`]What`s up with the crisco tire-shine thing. I`ve heard of a lady who, right after she washed her car, sprayed PAM on her wheels and tires. She said, "When you want to wash them you just rinse `em off!" I`d assume this is true, but the hell to causes to the wheel, the tire, let alone the brakes. I`d be scared to drive that car...

God, I wonder what it smells like too... [/QUOTE

I have no idea but I did not say a word I guess you can`t change some peoples ways; thats why I don`t give advice unless asked for it, saves trouble bet it smelled like bacon in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofate
    Great thread.. I don`t have anything to add except I`ve been told that baby diapers make the best towels for car drying/wax removal and application.

Sigh

In the old days that was true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76

Just a couple months back, Autoweek magazine suggested putting a few drops of "salad oil" in your wash water to make your wax job last longer. (1) This sounds crazy, and (2) what is salad oil, exactly? People use all kinds of oil in their salad.

Olive oil. Guys around my way used to add just a cap full of olive oil to their wash buckets. The myth was that it made the car shine like crazy. The truth was that it just made the car damn near impossible to dry.

Pledge actually works very well on the clear plastic that separates the gauges from the interior compartment. It hides scratches and scuffs very well and leaves a good shine. Never really tried it on anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worst I`ve heard is that lard is the best leather protectant. Talk about gross, but the guy that told me this used it on the leather seats in his early 80`s Benz 300D. His logic was that since leather was an animal product that animal fat was best to protect it with.
    - 2008 Mazda3s Grand Touring 5-door

- 2009 Toyota Highlander Sport V6 4WD

- 1994 Mazda RX-7 R2 ( - LS3 coming soon)

Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing my uncle does when he buys a new car is put a coat of airplane wax on. I asked him what is wrong with car wax, and he says that it doesn`t offer enough protection. I told him that is what sealant is for, but you can`t tell him anything. He washes his cars maybe once a month, and does nothing but applying airplane wax once a year. And he wonders why his cars look like crap...

Post Thanks / Like
    For a fast engine detail, spray the engine compartment with WD40 and wipe everthing down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea
    For a fast engine detail, spray the engine compartment with WD40 and wipe everthing down.

Unfortunately, this is still very much alive and kicking at all of the local shops around here. The same ones that hire illegal immigrants. Things never change, even up here in Oregon.
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the problem with this? I`ve used WD40 to clean up greasy mechanical parts many times in the past. I`m pretty sure WD40 contains solvents and is specifically intended to help clean as well as lubricate.

Would the issue be with the residue it leaves behind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thMan
    Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the problem with this? I`ve used WD40 to clean up greasy mechanical parts many times in the past. I`m pretty sure WD40 contains solvents and is specifically intended to help clean as well as lubricate.

WD40 is ten times a better cleaner than it is a lube. I use it to clean my kart about every day-nothing beats it for removing grease & oil. Personally, I don`t think it leaves that much residue - especially if wiped off. Most of the time, I soak everything down and hit it with the air compressor and it comes off clean as can be.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressornsc
    WD40 is ten times a better cleaner than it is a lube. I use it to clean my kart about every day-nothing beats it for removing grease & oil. Personally, I don`t think it leaves that much residue - especially if wiped off. Most of the time, I soak everything down and hit it with the air compressor and it comes off clean as can be.

I agree.

I used to clean my Kart with WD-40 as well. Worked great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thMan

There is no problem with WD40 . I just mention it because it usually not used for cleaning engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Why do you wash your car so much? I just wait til it rains and dry it off."

I just roll my eyes and chuckle.

Post Thanks / Like
    The title of this thread, "advise", is more than a little ironic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same thing here use WD40 to remove tar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    guess how many donuts i can, uh, um never mind

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information