Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryan
    Craziest advice is when I found out people use Softscrub to clean leather seats.

IE: Old, Dirty, Abused leather cleaned w/Soft Scrub Bathroom/Kitchen Cleaner.. Results!!!

That was a painful read. Yeesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    That was a painful read. Yeesh.

I don`t know what was more painful. Reading his happy posts; his flaming of the guy showing him specific reasons not to do what he was doing; or the 3 or 4 other people that somehow missed the warnings and indicated their desire to try his ideas, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand the baby diaper idea. In the military, we used baby diapers to spit shine our boots. It really got them glassy. So, wouldnt waxing a car be nearly the same method, ie shouldn`t baby diapers be good to remove the wax with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    This is the same guy that only washes his car with water (no soap - regardless of how dirty it is), and a sponge because he says soap strips the wax. I advised him that a lot of dedicated car soaps won`t do this, and the soap serves as a lubricant for the wash. Of course he didn`t buy this, as he says that "common sense" says any soap will remove wax.

This is actually true of dish soaps like Ivory. I knew someone who was using that yo wash their car. And the rain cures the wax? What a funny guy. Wouldn`t it be more logical to wax in the sun as it would be more likely to "cure" than water, even though it would be a very bad idea.

Anyhow, here are some nutty things I`ve heard:

My dad always said to never use the brush at a car wash or use the automated car washes that used brushes because it will scratch the paint. I went with him somewhere and he started using the brush at one of these car washes. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said it cleans the car better.

I`ve never understood people that degrease the engine while it`s at operating temperature.

People that use anything from Armorall.
    Clint

1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Turbo II - Full On Project Car

1991 Dodge Stealth R/T TT - Restoration Phase

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard a good one the other day. A guy I work with uses a grout sponge for tile work! What next!

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked with a now retired firefighter who swore that the best wax to use on the rigs and his personal vehicle was a can of lemon Pledge! :secret

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGonz
    I worked with a now retired firefighter who swore that the best wax to use on the rigs and his personal vehicle was a can of lemon Pledge! :secret

Just the other day I had someone suggest Pledge for interior stuff instead of Armor All. I thought that was funny since they`re both oil.
    Clint

1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Turbo II - Full On Project Car

1991 Dodge Stealth R/T TT - Restoration Phase

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon
    Just the other day I had someone suggest Pledge for interior stuff instead of Armor All. I thought that was funny since they`re both oil.

Pledge was recomended for Corvette interiors.

Post Thanks / Like
    a guy i used to work with told me there is no need for foam pads when buffing. Simply use your wool and compound, then put on a nice thick coat of carnuba. You see, the carnuba is water repellant so as long as you dont wash the car right away, swirls and holograms wont be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are people out there who say that you should never wax your car, as it actually does more harm than good. They say you should only wash the car with water as well. A friend back in college used to "brag" about how he followed this regimen, and would say "can you believe that I never wax my pickup, it`s 4 years old, and look how good that yellow paint looks"!

The funniest thing about it was the fact that the paint looked like crap, with swirls and oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon

I`ve never understood people that degrease the engine while it`s at operating temperature.

That is actually recommended. To warm the engine up to operating temperature to aid in the cleaning. This doesn`t mean apply while it is running of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    There are people out there who say that you should never wax your car, as it actually does more harm than good. They say you should only wash the car with water as well. A friend back in college used to "brag" about how he followed this regimen, and would say "can you believe that I never wax my pickup, it`s 4 years old, and look how good that yellow paint looks"!

The funniest thing about it was the fact that the paint looked like crap, with swirls and oxidation.

I got into an argument with a guy `who knows what he`s doing` on another forum. His recipe - wash with water, a brush, no soap, and never, ever wax (wax destroys the clearcoat!). And polishing? Polishing is stupid - you`ll ruin your car. Said he has his last car (black) for 6 years and the day he traded it in it looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. My response? "If you washed with a brush, no soap, and never waxed it in 6 years, give me a couple of hours to do one half the car and not touch the other. It would look so stupid you`d be embarrassed to drive it."

Then I thought I was going to be backed up by another member that said that a car does need to be polished. Until I got to the next sentence that explained that you should never use an abrasive polish on a car less than 3 years old. Only `chemical cleaner polishes`. Ugh. I gave up after that...
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish528
    a guy around my way stated "it does not matter what products you use as long as you put effort into it" and he was talking about detailing cars without detailing specific products like crisco for tire shine; he was going on about other stuff but as soon as I heard him say that I started thinking what I was going to have for dinner.

What`s up with the crisco tire-shine thing. I`ve heard of a lady who, right after she washed her car, sprayed PAM on her wheels and tires. She said, "When you want to wash them you just rinse `em off!" I`d assume this is true, but the hell to causes to the wheel, the tire, let alone the brakes. I`d be scared to drive that car...

God, I wonder what it smells like too...
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressornsc

Then I thought I was going to be backed up by another member that said that a car does need to be polished. Until I got to the next sentence that explained that you should never use an abrasive polish on a car less than 3 years old. Only `chemical cleaner polishes`. Ugh. I gave up after that...

Yeesh -- Abrasive polishes are the `safest` on cars less than 3 years old! -- The CC is thickest then. Silly people.

I can see the reasoning that a new car has minimal marring/swirls which can be taken care of with a non agressive polish -- But after a year , much less 3 -- it can have very severe damage which requires agressive product.

Post Thanks / Like
    When everybody see me applying wax or sealant they say:"you will remove the paint polishing your car so much".this is the most common idea about detailing.they cannot understand the difference between polish/compound/wax/sealant.when the say "polish"they mean all the products that are made for car care.the worst thing that a lot of "professional" detailers and car painters told me is that is impossible to remove the swirls from my car because it is black

also someone told me that it is better for a car to be dirty for long time because the dirt will protect the paint
    I AM HERE TO LEARN!!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information