Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I read the article that say not to use a cleaner wax for four to five times a year. I want to know what is the reason to this? Is there things that is bad to the car if the car is not wax in the correct way? Like is a car damage if it is wax not correctly but has the right things, like a good microfiber towel, applicator and wax? Is a carnuba wax use after the cleaner wax is use? I am new to detailing and my car is black. What Mothers or Meguiars product is good and easy to use? This is because it is easier to get these product for me. If the car is going to be wash once each one or two weeks, is it bad for the car? There are usually dust on the car and there isn`t that much dirt. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are all cars with a clear coat now? Look at the description for the Mothers cleaner wax and it does not say it is safe for clear coat, is the product good? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleaner waxes are either abrasive cleaners or chemical cleaners. As far as I know, Mother`s uses chemical cleaners. Either way, the idea behind not overusing a cleaner wax is that the cleaner can eat away at your clear coat. Don`t worry too much about that though as you can`t do too much damage by hand. People around here will say that actual polishing by hand won`t net very good results so using, even an abrasive cleaner wax, won`t take away enough of your paint for you to start to worry.

As far as I know, almost all paints are clear coated. Anything with any sort of metallic or pearl flake in it will have a clear coat, nowadays.

As for Mother`s Cleaner wax, it`s impressed me. It lasts admirably long for an over-the-counter wax (I usually get about a month with it) and impressively long compared to other cleaner waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you tell that the car needs to wax again? Can the Mothers Carnuba wax use after the cleaner wax is use once? People tell me not to wash a car using microfiber towel, why can`t it be use? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlau
    I read the article that say not to use a cleaner wax for four to five times a year. I want to know what is the reason to this? How can you tell that the car needs to wax again? Can the Mothers Carnuba wax use after the cleaner wax is use once? People tell me not to wash a car using microfiber towel, why can`t it be use? Thanks.

Welcome to Autopia! Adressing the above in no particular order:

Every cleanerwax I can think of is *so* gentle that you can use it as often as you like. Even abrasive-based ones like EinZett Metallic Polish with Wax are unlikely to *ever* cause any problems.

Yeah, you can apply a "straight" (i.e., non-cleaner) wax over the cleaner wax. It works well and is a time-tested approach.

Rewax when some criterion that you value (beading, slickness, etc.) diminishes to the point that you`ve noticed it.

The problem with using a MF towel to wash could be one/more of these:

Doesn`t hold much shampoo mix compared to other wash media; MF can retain dirt and that can cause scratches; most towels are sorta thin compared to other wash media so you might end up applying excessive pressure when you wash (insufficient cushioning); many MF towels have coarse edge stitching that can scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. I am trying to add the depth to the black car. The Mothers cleaner wax does not put that depth to the car. What is a good Mothers or Meguiars product to use to do this? Is the Mothers three step good? For the microfiber towel, I changed to using microfiber from the Meguiars wash mitt is that swirl marks are made using the wash mitt. It seems that it is hard to wash the dirt out of the wash mitt even when I use two buckets. Any advice on how to do this? The car is new and thats how I know the swirl marks are from times the wash mitt is use. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    That Meguiar`s synthetic wool wash mitt is terrible. Pick out a nice Eurow sheepskin mitt from Wal-Mart (or you can try one of the muppet head mitts or pads--just don`t use the mesh side--Target has muppet head wash pads with MF on the other side). Or you can go to one of the online suppliers for wash media, or to Home Depot for a grout sponge...but whatever you do stop using that Meg`s mitt.

Using a pure wax after the cleaner wax may get you the depth you`re looking for, or it may be that your wash-induced swirls are dampening your shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can I remove the swirl marks to get the depth? I want to do it by hand. The products that I can get is not that much and it is usually Mothers and Meguiars. The swirl marks is not that serious since it is only seen in the sunlight. I am looking for the wet paint look for the car. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven`t done so already, check out this section of the site for in depth tips on detailing: http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/
    2006 Acura RSX Type S

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get a grout sponge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are all cars with a clear coat now? Look at the description for the Mothers cleaner wax and it does not say it is safe for clear coat, is the product good? Thanks.

If the manufactor is not saying that their product is safe to use on a clear coat finish. I would believe it wasn`t. It`s very likely that any abrasive polish or cleaner will cloud a clear coat finish with scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can I remove the swirl marks to get the depth? I want to do it by hand. The products that I can get is not that much and it is usually Mothers and Meguiars. The swirl marks is not that serious since it is only seen in the sunlight. I am looking for the wet paint look for the car. Thanks.

The only stuff I`d recommend by hand is from 1Z (available here: Welcome to Exceldetail! or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories ). Seriously, IMO if you`re gonna try this without a polisher you oughta get the 1Z polishes.

A good OTC wax for depth is Meguiar`s #26.

Post Thanks / Like
    just for the mf part as a wash mitt. I use a small 16*16 mf towel for washing my car folded in four. It works great for me (no swirls) and it is so cheap that I could use a new one very often. (I use light color mf so I am able to see if there is any particle trapped)

Post Thanks / Like
    This mean that you use a microfiber towel to wash the car after folding it to quarter? If the car is wash once each week, what can be done to the car to keep it looking good? If the paint is shiny and smooth after the wash, how do you know if the clear coat is getting thinner? I want to know if it is bad to the car if it is wash once each week. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the car is wash once each week, what can be done to the car to keep it looking good?

I just let it get dusty/dirty and I don`t touch the paint until the next time I wash it (lest I scratch it). I find it hard enough to wash without scratching, so I don`t try to clean it with quick detailers/etc. between washes.

If the paint is shiny and smooth after the wash, how do you know if the clear coat is getting thinner?

Just use common sense with regard to abrasive products and don`t worry about it. By the time you can tell it`s too late...removing more than one-half to one-third of a mill (that`s .0003"-.0005") will result in premature failure and there`s no way to measure paint thicknesses that accurately without an electronic paint thickness gauge, which is pretty expensive.

Stuff like cleaner-waxes won`t thin the clear even if you use them all the time, those products are too mild to do that.

I want to know if it is bad to the car if it is wash once each week.

No, it won`t hurt anything and many people wash at least that often. Frequent washing will eventually strip the wax, so just rewax it when the beading/slickness/whatever seems to change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information