Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I`m a bit of a noob when it comes to detailing/correction etc. My car is a silver Toyota echo/vitz. Aaaages ago when i first got the car, I thought it was a good idea to use some polish on my bonnet using those cheap "polish cloths". Little did I know the product I was using was actually kitten #2 cut and polish :doh

Since then I have learned from my mistake and really want to fix what I have done.

The bonnet has light swirling, it does not look too serious. I`m just wandering if a product like meg`s scratchx applied/buffed with a megs foam applicator would do the trick?

I`m hoping to import a PC from the autopia shop for christmas, should I just wait until then to do the correction?

Also, would waxing my car now (megs #26 hi-tech yellow wax) affect when I do the correction when the PC arrives?

Thanks,

Adam.

Post Thanks / Like
    YOu can try something like Scratch X. It does work, but will take a lot of time.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing it by hand will not get much accomplished.

If you`ll be getting a PC or UDM for Christmas, I`d just wait another month.

You really need a machine to remove swirls and do any real level of correction.:buffing:
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    Doing it by hand will not get much accomplished.

If you`ll be getting a PC or UDM for Christmas, I`d just wait another month.

You really need a machine to remove swirls and do any real level of correction.:buffing:

I agree. I would just throw a coat of wax on the car now, and save your efforts for when you get the PC. If you clay the car after you get the PC, that should remove the wax on the car, before you start with the actual paint correction phase. Even if you don`t clay (which I would), If you use a cleaner/polish via the PC to remove swirls, that would also remove any wax that may be on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies

I went out and picked up a meguiars clay kit. Just finished claying my car now, and will get onto applying the #26 soon. Its amazing what the clay does, my car is now completely smooth. My roof has never looked better (its already reflecting nicely!). Cant wait till the wax is on and dried

When I do get the PC, ill order some cleaner/polish at the same time (from the autopia shop) Can anybody reccomend me one to remove light swirls, also a beginner friendly pad. Id rather do the job twice than use something too harsh and mess it all up.

Thanks

Adam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get XMT 360 and some white/gray pads if you only have light swirls.
    JC-Detail

:getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    wait...so what cause this the bonnet or you used a more abrasive polish than need? Maybe some RMG to hidden it and a wax topper. And just wait for Christmas for a pc/UDM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdu
    wait...so what cause this the bonnet or you used a more abrasive polish than need? Maybe some RMG to hidden it and a wax topper. And just wait for Christmas for a pc/UDM.

Yes, I used a heavy cutting compound polish by mistake Back then I didn`t realise exactly what it did/what it was for.

Today I just clayed the car and did one coat of megs #26 (from the tin). Its looking pretty good, but it can be a whole lot better. Cant wait till I can get a PC and do everything properly :buffing:

At the moment I am looking at the Sonus SFX polishing pad set (from the autopia shop) and possibly SFX-2 and Paintwork cleanser. Any comments on these products for my application? Anywhere else I should consider buying a PC 7424 + polish + pads from?

Heres some pics as it is now. After waxing it is harder to see the swirls on the bonnet, but they are still there under bright light.

(excuse the 3.2mpix old school digi cam)

Post Thanks / Like
    instead of a PC consider a UDM. It has more power than the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdu
    instead of a PC consider a UDM. It has more power than the PC.

True, but they both only spin up to 6000. 6 in one 1/2 dozen the other.
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBs
    Get XMT 360 and some white/gray pads if you only have light swirls.

Your signature always reminds me of one of those google ad bots
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    1Z polishes work quite well by hand. Sources: Welcome to Exceldetail! or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories .

The Paint Polish might be strong enough, but I`d get a can of the Ultra/Extra Polish too for bad marring (follow with Paint Polish to remove the resulting micromarring).

It`s possible to do some pretty impressive correction by hand with these products; they`re in a whole `nother league compared to Scratch-X.

Gotta love those curves
    Post Thanks / Like
    G`day,

If you have access to it, give Mothers Scratch Remover a shot by hand. I think it`s a little bit easier to use by hand than ScratchX.

I just got some recently to remove a ring caused scratch near a door handle.

I used a mf cloth fold into a quarter of itself & did a 1 foot area 2 or 3 times & the scratch has gone. You could just catch your finger nail in it at the start, now you can`t see it.

I am very familiar with ScratchX, but now very impressed with the mothers product.

Should be a breeze to do just your hood in an hour or so... until you get a machine :buffing:

:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always try to just hide the swirls with a good glaze (3m 05990 this is the european part number). (especially if you have not a machine for the polishing )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petey
    G`day,

If you have access to it, give Mothers Scratch Remover a shot by hand. I think it`s a little bit easier to use by hand than ScratchX.

I just got some recently to remove a ring caused scratch near a door handle.

I used a mf cloth fold into a quarter of itself & did a 1 foot area 2 or 3 times & the scratch has gone. You could just catch your finger nail in it at the start, now you can`t see it.

I am very familiar with ScratchX, but now very impressed with the mothers product.

Should be a breeze to do just your hood in an hour or so... until you get a machine :buffing:

:2thumbs:

Thanks Ill have a look around for some mothers, I`m pretty sure I saw mothers scratch and swirl remover at a local auto shop (I`m sure you know of super cheap auto, from aussie right?) so Ill go back and have a look next week when I have some spare dosh

Right now I`m just working up my own personal collection of products, reading these forums has got me hooked and running out to spend my money at the local body shop supply store (who stock megs professional line :grinno: )

Also reading through the forums I have found that a UDM would be a good choice for me. I might pick up one of the sonus SFX + UDM packages from the autopia shop for christmas

Cheers,

Adam

Thread Information