Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, first post here.

I ordered some Leatherique (RO and PC) to condition, and hopefully soften, the black leather on my E36 325is.

I think over the life of the car that silicone protectants of one kind or another have been applied to the seats. I know for sure Armor All Leather Care Gel has been applied to the seats, and on the label it states "not for use where slipperiness may be hazardous", so I have a suspicion it has silicone in it.

Anyway, I`d like to remove the silicones, if they are there, as best I can before I use the Leatherique on the the leather surfaces, so it has more of a chance at penetrating the leather.

What would be the best thing I can use for silicone removal that I can buy locally, as opposed to ordering another product?

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike: Warm water with ordinary dishwash liquid soap (Dawn, etc) and a horse hair brush will do the job. You can either use a spray bottle for the solution or a small bucket. Scrub the leather with the brush and wipe dry with terry towels. Use a shop vac to dry the seams. It will leave the leather clean and OEM looking.

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience with Leatherique, it will pull all of the old stuff out anyway. I did a Jag once where what I suspect was Armor-All was used and the Leatherique brought this white, milky stuff to the surface. Leatherique`s not like other cleaners-it`s like it gets down under the surface and pushes everything up.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    Mike: Warm water with ordinary dishwash liquid soap (Dawn, etc) and a horse hair brush will do the job. You can either use a spray bottle for the solution or a small bucket. Scrub the leather with the brush and wipe dry with terry towels. Use a shop vac to dry the seams. It will leave the leather clean and OEM looking.

Toto

I used Woolite and water at 8:1 with a toothbrush on the steering wheel, and couldn`t believe how much dirt came off!

I`m not sure if any silicone treatrments had ever been applied to the wheel though. I haven`t tried the seats, although I was planning on tryign this on them before using teh Leatherique, just to get the most dirt off as I can before I use the treatment.

Do you have firsthand experience that shows this will help get silicone residue off the leather?

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressornsc
    From my experience with Leatherique, it will pull all of the old stuff out anyway. I did a Jag once where what I suspect was Armor-All was used and the Leatherique brought this white, milky stuff to the surface. Leatherique`s not like other cleaners-it`s like it gets down under the surface and pushes everything up.

How old was the Jag?

Do you know if the leather was coated or not?

Did the Leatherique soften it up noticeably?

That`s what I`m hoping for on my seats....

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Four Star Leather Cleaner.

Thread Information