Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I`m a bit nervous to make this post. Primarily because I have, and probably will continue to purchase certain things from CG. They do make some products that are highly praised on this forum plus their prices area nearly unbeatable. I`d like to state, before starting, that it is not my intention to flame or purely bad mouth CG. From what I`ve read in a recent thread, I get the feeling that this topic was inevitable - and frankly, I`ve had a lot on my chest for quite some time. I hope this thread doesn`t land me in any sort of trouble or make me unwelcome there. I understand that its not the best press but I feel that if this thread turns out to what I hope it to, it`ll be heavily beneficial to their outfit.

My initial impressions of, who I would consider, their primary sales person was that he was a young enthusiastic and well spoken gentlemen who, above all, was willing to spend time with the customer. While it is true, they are willing to spend time with you and even wine and dine you (with In and Out), I feel much of it is done in a disengenous fashion. I feel this way partly because of the sales techniques and also due to the respect, or lack their of, the office gives to other product labels.

I`ve always joked that speaking to their head sales person is like going through marketing 101. You`ll get every curve ball, left hook and legerdomain there is in the book. From this is our last batch, to "we only make ~$1.65 per gallon" - sure.

I can recall in one sitting, I was offered three products however I was just browsing and realized I didn`t need anything. Each offer, however, was attached with some type of marketing gimick. When I was offered, and rejected CG ONE, the salesmen then turned around and suggested he couldn`t sell me the product because of limited supply. This, only seconds after offering it to me. I incurred 2 more of overt crap like this that evening. So much so I think the sales person even felt he had pushed it.

As for their "descriptions" of competitors, jeez. I once asked about Meguiar`s clay, to which they indicated their comes from a different source and them held nothing back in tearing the item apart. Look, I`m FINE with tearing a competitors product apart IF it is deserved. Meg`s over the counter clay ISN`T BAD IMHO. Its definitely not worthy of the mud slinging one of the guys at CG gave it.

Over all I have considerably mixed feelings about CG. Truth be told, I`d rather visit their and have as little to do with them as possible given circumstances. I do indeed appreciate that they have some fine product but I just can`t stomach that atmosphere.

Just my .02 - What are your opinions/experiences?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I`m just stupid but what is CG??
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    Maybe I`m just stupid but what is CG??

Chemical Guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Not stupid but ignorant. CG is "Chemical Guys." Now you`re less ignorant!

Their marketing is pretty crazy. Just look at the product titles! I can`t comment about their customer service since I`ve never had a problem with them nor have I talked to any of them in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with Chemical Guys has been fantastic......

I have 50/50, Petes (I prefer 50/50)....ONE (a tremendous waterless wash) Jetseal (enough has been said about how good this product is) and numerous other products from their organization.

I have always received great service from them and have not had the difficulty getting in touch with them that others have mentioned.

Sales technique or pride of product? its a fine line of distinction.

You might say CG can be a little over the top on occasion BUT they are nothing compared to some guy named Sal:p

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully
    My experience with Chemical Guys has been fantastic......

I have 50/50, Petes (I prefer 50/50)....ONE (a tremendous waterless wash) Jetseal (enough has been said about how good this product is) and numerous other products from their organization.

I have always received great service from them and have not had the difficulty getting in touch with them that others have mentioned.

Sales technique or pride of product? its a fine line of distinction.

You might say CG can be a little over the top on occasion BUT they are nothing compared to some guy named Sal:p

I completely agree. I have been on the phone with paul many times and yes, he has sort of "bashed" some popular products including menzerna but I have always been happy with CG service and products. The only thing I do not like from them is their chubby towels, they are not chubby at all; however since their elite towels are so amazing, and at hal the price of most other brands that are not as good anyway, I will continue to buy their elite towels, just not the chubbies.

As for their business practices, well I have mainly spoken to paul and he is certainly very enthusiastic, well spoken, and intelligent. I have never had any troubles with them, once my order took a little too long to come in, but thats it. The thing I love about them is their free samples, I love free samples, in my opinion its the best way to market your product, let the product speak for itself and CG does this very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ron231
    ...he has sort of "bashed" some popular products including menzerna but...

Now *that* is absolutely laughable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:har: :funnypost
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t want to bash any company but considering all that`s happened lately, I feel I have to be honest.

I had visited the store right around the time the UDM was first released. They had a unit in the store for customers to demo and play around with. I was just looking and getting the feel of it when Paul decided to "offer" his opinion on it, which I never asked for btw. I can`t remember what he said word for word, but it was something like "They should have called that thing the Ultimate Piece of $hit Machine."

Keep in mind, this is the first time I`ve been in the store or have ever met the guy. I could care less what he thought of the machine, he`s entitled to his own opinion and I have no relationship to CG or DavidB so it doesn`t affect me, but when he blurted that out I was just a bit shocked. The funny thing was that soon after that, they started carrying the UDM on their website too.

I didn`t feel as if I was pressured into buying anything and he was a friendly guy with a lot of personality, but he doesn`t know where to draw the line between being buddy buddy (especially with a stranger) and being professional. I was not offended by how he treated me since a lot of my guy friends and myself are horny ba$tards too, but I wouldn`t take my father-in-law in there with me.

I feel bad for the companies they do business with. As a consumer, I can easily take my money elsewhere. But let`s take Adam`s as an example. If their business was built on CG products from the beginning (before CG/Warner Chemicals got into the web retail market) and that was what their customers grew to like, it`s not that easy to go to someone else to reformulate the product because chances are, the change will be too different and existing customers might not like or want that.

My take on it (it`s just a guess) is that CG was created to sound "hip" for the web market and they`re just selling overstock or unwanted products the relabelers don`t want for one reason or another. Seriously, would any of you buy from a company called Warner Chemicals? Chemical Guys sounds way cooler. That can explain why quality control is non-existant at CG. Maybe that`s why they got a young, cool guy like Paul to work for them to give them that hip image.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard from a few people here that they are like that. They are just in fear of competition of all the great products out there.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    Now *that* is absolutely laughable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:har: :funnypost
    I laughed at that one also.. Any company that bashes Menzerna really has no clue on correction poilishes and has never used their products to see how amazing they are. But then again most companies are lsp based and focus more on those type of products anyway.

Warner Chemicals (CG) does make a ton of products for companies around the world.

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the chance to visit the CG worldwide HQ by hollywood park (LOL) on more than a few occasions. I have chatted with Paul and have bought items based on his recommendations. While I don`t fault DANZFORZ for his opinion of his experience I basically had the same experience but look at it differently.

First, for all that have visited they are not in the brick & morter retail business, this is a small corner of their warehouse they use to sell to the public. Example, I highly doubt if their business model was to sell retail they would pick the location they are currently in. Although being that close to an In & Out is a big plus in my book.

Second, Paul is a very buddy buddy kind of guy lets face it, he`s a salesman, a people person he has the perfect personality to be a company pitchman so while some folks are not comfortable with that type of interaction his job is to pitch or hype the company`s product and that`s what he does. I find it a little funny that many are upset because he put down competitor`s products. If you go to a Acura lot do you think they are going to tell you a Lexus is a better deal for the money? So why knock Paul or CG for not praising another`s product that just doesn`t make sense - again they are there to sell THERE product, take the comments with a grain of salt.

Third, I will say I don`t know their business model but I am assuming their core customers are professional (we do this to pay our mortgage) detailers and not the jo schmos like me that are looking to try out another product on our personal cars. Given that you would have to assume they are used to dealing mainly with people that know what they are doing and don`t need a lot of hand holding or explaining. They get the pros that know what they want, how much they want and just buy it. That being said I think if you`re a pro detailer going through gallons of product per month CG`s prices can`t be beat and while I have not tried every one of their products I don`t hear too many complaints coming from the professional side of the business (detailing) when it comes to CG products. I have however read a few snipes here and there from the weekend warrior detailing crowd (of which I am proudly a member of).

Well Danzforz you asked for my $0.02 worth and I gave you $20 worth LOL. In a nutshell I think they are a pretty good company that provides excellent product to a specific crowd. I don`t know anything about this whole rebranding thing so I won`t speak to it.

have a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyexec
    I find it a little funny that many are upset because he put down competitor`s products. If you go to a Acura lot do you think they are going to tell you a Lexus is a better deal for the money? So why knock Paul or CG for not praising another`s product that just doesn`t make sense - again they are there to sell THERE product, take the comments with a grain of salt.

You can sell your product in a tactful manner without having to bash a competitor, like explaining why your product is better than the competition.

But for a sec., let`s forget what I just said and use your logic. If the UDM is such a POS (according to him), then why is he selling it? If it`s all about sales, don`t you think hyping up the product would work better than putting it down? They sure seem to hype up everything else, so why not the UDM?

The list of complaints about CG just goes on and on. Poor quality control, poor customer service, bait and switch, putting down competitors, sending less products than advertised, stealing logos and using it as their own on a the $hittiest inkjet printer and paper I`ve seen, the list just keeps going.

Another one I`ve heard about is the story behind Pete`s 53 and how CG is bashing Pete`s family. That sure is a nice way to honor a dead "friend"... talk about his family behind their back.

If you looked up the word morals in the dictionary, you wouldn`t find CG in it as they have none. But then again, CG wouldn`t have the brains to use a dictionary anyway based on all the spelling and grammatical mistakes on their website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    You can sell your product in a tactful manner without having to bash a competitor, like explaining why your product is better than the competition.

But for a sec., let`s forget what I just said and use your logic. If the UDM is such a POS (according to him), then why is he selling it? If it`s all about sales, don`t you think hyping up the product would work better than putting it down? They sure seem to hype up everything else, so why not the UDM?

The list of complaints about CG just goes on and on. Poor quality control, poor customer service, bait and switch, putting down competitors, sending less products than advertised, stealing logos and using it as their own on a the $hittiest inkjet printer and paper I`ve seen, the list just keeps going.

Another one I`ve heard about is the story behind Pete`s 53 and how CG is bashing Pete`s family. That sure is a nice way to honor a dead "friend"... talk about his family behind their back.

If you looked up the word morals in the dictionary, you wouldn`t find CG in it as they have none. But then again, CG wouldn`t have the brains to use a dictionary anyway based on all the spelling and grammatical mistakes on their website.

So true! I heard the story behind Pete`s and they should have a little more respect.

Ryan Blanchette

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I read that they put up detailerparadise.com to steal business from detailersparadise.com that showed me what type of business they are. I also think their product names and descriptions are overly wordy, verbose, repetitive, overhyped exagerations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyexec

Second, Paul is a very buddy buddy kind of guy lets face it, he`s a salesman, a people person he has the perfect personality to be a company pitchman so while some folks are not comfortable with that type of interaction his job is to pitch or hype the company`s product and that`s what he does. I find it a little funny that many are upset because he put down competitor`s products. If you go to a Acura lot do you think they are going to tell you a Lexus is a better deal for the money? So why knock Paul or CG for not praising another`s product that just doesn`t make sense - again they are there to sell THERE product, take the comments with a grain of salt.

As for their "descriptions" of competitors, jeez. I once asked about Meguiar`s clay, to which they indicated their comes from a different source and them held nothing back in tearing the item apart. Look, I`m FINE with tearing a competitors product apart IF it is deserved. Meg`s over the counter clay ISN`T BAD IMHO. Its definitely not worthy of the mud slinging one of the guys at CG gave it.

And its not so much just putting down competitor`s products, its the manner in which its done. There has NEVER been a point where I mentioned a competitor when it wasn`t followed by a knee jerk "Oh they are a POS" type response.

Often times I feel my intelligence is being mocked there.

I appreciate you input though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information