Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    *For me* they do everything that a LW mitt does for less cost, longer lasting and less marring. That`s enough *for me.*
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    *For me* they do everything that a LW mitt does for less cost, longer lasting and less marring. That`s enough *for me.*

Hey, I respect your opinion, so I hope you don`t think I am being argumentative just for arguments sake.

I certainly can`t argue with the lower cost and being longer lasting.

But why do you think you are experiencing less marring with the GS than a LW mitt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toml
    I tried out the grout sponge (QEP variety) yesterday on the hood and trunk of my Accord. Didn`t notice any marring and it washes clean in the rinse bucket. All good.

However, I did notice that debris and stuff ended up on the surface of the sponge as I was using it. After a swipe or two, one-half of one side of the sponge had stuff on it, so I turned it around so I could use the rest of that side, then turned it over and repeated. How much of a panel are you guys doing before you rinse the sponge? I know it really depends on the crud on the car, but I`m just looking for some feedback.

If it the hood, roof or trunk. I would do half of the panel with one side and the other side to do the other panel, but I always did that with any mitt,towel or sponge

Also, I used the sponge slightly dripping wet. And I never squeezed it while I was cleaning the panel. Is that the wrong way of using it? I have a sneaky suspicion that most of the ONR in the sponge went into the rinse bucket not really onto the paint becuase I was not using any pressure on the sponge to release any of the solution.

What I do before I put my clean sponge into the wash bucket is squeeze it then put it in the bucket and then open it up so it absorbs more solution. Then when I do the panel, I know there solution going onto the surface. Sure it use more solution, but I don`t care.

Now, I can see squeezing the sponge to release ONR onto the paint when the sponge is fresh out of the solution. However, after you used it some, wouldn`t that have the potential of putting crud back on the paint?

Would using a sprayer to lay down a layer of ONR on the paint allow you to go much lighter on the solution actually in the sponge?

Yeah I think Excel detail does that with the ONR in his Article.
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I broke down and bought one to try and wash with. As expected it worked great, I also decided to try to use the reverse function on my shop vac to dry it. Both of these turned out to be great ideas. It took longer using the shop vac to dry followed by a towel but well worth not having to stretch to reach areas or use a qtip to get some of the gaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, would you ever do a thread outlining your technique in detail? Sort of like Scott`s "How I wash cars" thread? I`ve gotten bits and pieces here and there, but I and perhaps others would appreciate any tips and insights we can get from the master of this tool.
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my grout sponge and I was really doubting it because I have bought special car sponges before and they have sucked. I am using a 2 sided grout sponge by QEP though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would using a sprayer to lay down a layer of ONR on the paint allow you to go much lighter on the solution actually in the sponge?

Yeah I think Excel detail does that with the ONR in his Article.
    Your right Jess, everytime I use NRWS I pretreat..........I still havent tried the GS yet........lol
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still want to know when the Excel GS is going to get the seal of approval....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradUF
    I love my grout sponge and I was really doubting it because I have bought special car sponges before and they have sucked. I am using a 2 sided grout sponge by QEP though.

So im I with the superiorbilt one too
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used my sponge for the first time today and it felt alot differant than my washing mitt Im used to. Guess Ill get use to it--seemed to do a good job
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toml
    Chris, would you ever do a thread outlining your technique in detail? Sort of like Scott`s "How I wash cars" thread? I`ve gotten bits and pieces here and there, but I and perhaps others would appreciate any tips and insights we can get from the master of this tool.

Tom, I`ll do that one day when I can get someone here to snap the pictures.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    Hey, I respect your opinion, so I hope you don`t think I am being argumentative just for arguments sake.

I certainly can`t argue with the lower cost and being longer lasting.

But why do you think you are experiencing less marring with the GS than a LW mitt?

I have a black Honda car. Do I really need to say more?:sadwavey:
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black Honda car. Do I really need to say more?:sadwavey:
    Amigo, we are taking into consideration your age and failing eye site.............:grinno:
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Pat, lay off pickin on us older guys! FWIW - bought the grout sponge, can`t wait to use it, trouble is - it`s dark before I get home from work! Oh, well - Saturday`s coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black Honda car.

if that isn`t a good test bed, i don`t know what is... :up

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information