Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jesselyons2002
    Well here the bar code number if no one can find it at HD

92975 48200

Jesse, I assume I can call HD and determine if the east coast stores ever sold that nubmer?? BTW, what happened to that pic of your gf?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one of these 2 weeks ago.

My observations;

1. It does hold a ton of water

2. It does rinse out nearly perfect

3. For the horizontal surfaces, I found that if I let it glide it would leave a little layer of dirt still, so I`d have to go over the surface again. Same thing on the sides, little pressure leaves a film. I just don`t feel super comfortable applying too much pressure with the sponge due to it`s firmness.

4. After a couple of washes, I have noticed 0 marring and no new swirls.

+1 for paint maintenance

But I`m still unsure of the effort and pressure required to wash the car without needing to go over certain areas twice.
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Paul. Seems fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Jesse, I assume I can call HD and determine if the east coast stores ever sold that nubmer?? BTW, what happened to that pic of your gf?

One of the moderator took it off.
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    I think one of our favorite on-line vendors will be selling some pretty soon. When I get more info I`ll post it, but that will save the hassle of a group buy.

Will they be sold for $1.98?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve used many sponges (sm arnold, megs, etc..) to wash cars,

and this is probably the softest one yet...

(+)

~ $1.97...

~ when choosing the loose ones (superiorbilt brand), they are all pretty consistent unlike sheepskin mitts, where you have to pick them like fruit...

~ soft and porous so dirt can be buried in till it gets rinsed, and also rinses out easily...

~ holds a good amount of suds, and as you go over each panel you can slowly squeeze some soap solution to help lubricate each pass...

~ dries quickly and i don`t have to hang it out to dry on a pant hanger like i would with a sheepskin or mf mitt...

(-)

~ how well it holds up after repeated uses and if it gets stiffer/harder, falls apart, etc...

~ will determine as i use this on my sisters car as she has the darkest colored car in the family...

*i won`t rule out that i won`t use sheepskin or mf mitts anymore, this is just another alternative*

Post Thanks / Like
    Helped run a charity wash today. We had four grout sponges, a lamb`s wool and chenille mitt, and a few of those peanut shaped supposedly car washing sponges. By the end of it all, the grout sponges had some big chunks of grit lodged deep inside from when some of the kids threw the sponge on the ground but was otherwise clean and looking like new. I was impressed by how well sponge released its dirt. Everything else looked pretty black.

A guy brought in a black Maserati. I wanted so badly to tell him to leave and never return to a charity wash. Oh well. I did my best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAP
    Will they be sold for $1.98?
    I don`t think they`ll be too much more than that.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gtpaul
    I bought one of these 2 weeks ago.

My observations;

1. It does hold a ton of water

2. It does rinse out nearly perfect

3. For the horizontal surfaces, I found that if I let it glide it would leave a little layer of dirt still, so I`d have to go over the surface again. Same thing on the sides, little pressure leaves a film. I just don`t feel super comfortable applying too much pressure with the sponge due to it`s firmness.

4. After a couple of washes, I have noticed 0 marring and no new swirls.

+1 for paint maintenance

But I`m still unsure of the effort and pressure required to wash the car without needing to go over certain areas twice.

The parts in bold I agree with completely. Grout sponge isn`t for me. I`ll stick with my sheepskin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Ace Hdwe this AM looking for a few things. Decided to look at their sponges and found this:

Notice where it says `Made in Greece` It was $5!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually called a company that sells the popular grout sponge, to speak with them about its place it automotive care. He directed me to, not Home Depot, but a building supply warehouse, literally, right across the street from me. I have viewed the ones at HD before and found them a little stiff for my liking, although Im certain they soften up with water intrusion. The ones I sampled at the building supply (who specialize in masonry amd stone products) was extremely soft and pliable, although irregular. I was tempted to purchase one for $3.00 but decided to go back and call the company for some additinal clarification. There was one additional GS along side the one I inspected, but was more orange in color, still soft but "different" nonetheless. The Orange one appeared more uniform, with shaved symetrical edges. Contrary to the more tan/yellow one I preferred, which was as stated, more irregular, less symetrical. Almost more natural if you will. Maybe I will know by next weekend if I personnaly approve of these, as I wait for my sponge to arrive.

But I cant resist the weather out today, and with all of the ash fallout we have had in So Cal, I may need to jump the wagon and get the trucks washed today. Its only been about 6 weeks or so since there last traditional wash!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Patrick, that`s a good idea to try local building supply stores other than HD.

The ACE Hdwe sponge I picked up (and used) today is softer and less dense than the sponges we normally buy. It feels a bit more like a natural sponge.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the place called "Custom building products" ???
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s good to read that grout sponges are finally being accepted. I`ve been using them for years to wash my vehicles. This just goes to show that you shouldn`t be afraid to use what you like, or what works best for you even if it`s not popular at the current time.

This was probably 2 years ago, but I actually talked to a mobile detailer who details Barry Meguair`s vehicles. I don`t know if he still does it. Anyhow, he told me that he tested grout sponges vs lambswool mitts, and said the mitts induced swirls/scratches more. He told me he uses the sponges from Home Depot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by III
    This just goes to show that you shouldn`t be afraid to use what you like, or what works best for you even if it`s not popular at the current time.

absolutely agree!

p.s. how do you like the vroom sheepskin mitts? *inside joke* :grinno:

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information